It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mead...anyone like it / make it???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Ive had honey and blueberry mead. Not much of a blueberry fan though.
A friend of mine ordered it. Cant remember the maker, but the label had a bee on a honeycomb.
Great tasting stuff.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I make mead among other wines. For simplicity, figure 3lbs of Honey per gallon of water. Based on your yeast, that will yield 15% abv. You want to make sure your yeast will produce at least 15%. Different yeast, as you know, will yield different amounts of alcohol.

Its really simple to make, more so than other wines, imo.

For just a basic mead...

15lbs honey + 5gal water + 15% yeast

Mix your honey and water - add your yeast, all in a very clean 5gal bucket. Let sit for 8 days, stiring 1-2 times (6 to 12 hours) a day. This will aerate it a bit but not necessary (you can skip the bucket and go directly to the next step) Pour into a 5 gallon jug/jar/container and let sit for 6 weeks, fine your mead at that point then bottle. I like to let mine sit in my 5 gallon containers for at least 6 months to smooth it out. A year is even better. Though, it is drinkable after 6 weeks.

That's the most basic recipe.

I like to use spice packs in my mead now and then. I also add nutrients and other additives to keep the process going as well as protect the wine since I like to store what I don't give away for years.

If you have any wine making questions at all, by all means, let me know. This is one of my main hobbies that takes so little effort.
edit on 6-9-2016 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Thanks!! I may just have some questions after I get started, and I appreciate the assistance!

<< 1   >>

join