It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shansei Broomhandle change to MAG FEED?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I wonder if a Shansei ,.45 cal Broomhandle can be converted unto a box fed magazine system from a top feed stripper clip.
I have an idea.
www.youtube.com...

edit on 5-9-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-9-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

this gun makes me feel like there is already too much going, why complicate it more. do u own one?

do u like it?

the only use i could see is close quarters combat, witch i would have no need for.

i dont like this gun

the bullets come straight out the top, it looks and seems cheap and probly hard to get parts for.

how much is it worth?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DocScurlock1774

About 3k,give or take.
I would prefer to download it with a boxed mag,than a dump out of the top.
edit on 6-9-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Since the schnellfeuer 712 and other C96 variants were converted to detachable box magazine use I'd guess yes. Check out the Brazilian pasam machine pistol as an example.

Sarco inc years ago had a stock of Astra c96 Mauser clone frames already modified to take detachable box magazines of various sizes.

The Chinese also had at least one machine pistol based on the C96 that took detachable box magazines.

Now if you have a working .45 caliber c96 clone please don't bubba it! If you absolutely must have a box magazine fed c96 clone I will help you shop for parts and etc.

Hell I'd probably be willing to outright make you parts on my mill and lathe rather than see a piece of history mauled in the name of high capacity.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: roguetechie

It must be a .45 THAT is the idea.
I don't like the 9mm.
I also don't want it hacked up I want it professionally done,if the idea of these mods to an antique are disturbing ,I can but apologize.
That SOP C96 grip SUCKS at that caliber, sweptback like that and it should be a hell of a plinker.
Sorry for the heresy.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Nah a professional mod isn't heresy at all. Trying to do it with a dremel and a dream is heresy. I'd say modifying a shansei to work like you want is no more heretical than wanting a norinco sks-d that takes AK mags.

I'll do what I can to dig up information and technical drawings for you, and I'll even do what I can to help you figure out where the measurements differ between this and a standard C96. That's really your first step in a project like this, and if you can approach someone with a good set of drawings for the custom parts it will cut your overall costs substantially.

I was just saying that this will require parts made to real machinist level of precision and probably assembled by a gunsmith with C96 familiarity, but if you're willing to do it right it's totally worth it IMO.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   

The magazines as well would need to be fabricated.
I have heard from some people the the grip must be a forged component,not a cast piece or I would have cast one already.
I 'm not rushing this that's for sure.
edit on 9-9-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   

The frame you mean?

And yeah you're probably going to need mags fabricated but I'll look for some options for you.

Do you want single stack, double stack, double stack single feed?

That's the key decision that needs to be made first.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Currently it holds 10 rounds I don't want a large thing sticking out.
I asked a local smith and he bowed out,its odd for a military town to be so empty of good gunsmiths.
Should I try Krause in Cali?

He did the .45 lugars.
edit on 12-9-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Yeah, it's a good place to start.

Honestly the thing about all broom handles but especially Shansei and Chinese ones is there is just an amazing amount of hand fitting that goes Into EVERY piece. It's not like an AR15 where you can build one from left over parts from 20 different manufacturers you grab at random out of a spares bin, never even really having to worry much about bad tolerance stacking.

Even just buying more shansei parts to replace an existing part requires this hand fitting up to and including some milling, stoning, and filing.

Here's the good news though, these bastards are built like friggin TANKS! Once you get into something like this there really is enough meat on most parts that you can trim and alter in many areas an almost shocking amount before you even get CLOSE to modern engineering safety margins.

I think what you want to do is very possible, and will do what I can to help. Just tell me what you want and need and I'll flog my archives and online resources into giving me answers. You just gotta promise to let me put a few rounds down range if we're ever in the same neighborhood lol.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I have always LOVED the C96 and my family have been "Jeff Cooper" fans for .45s
My brother uses a Kimber in Elco NV.
Being an artistI just really want to try it.
Also CAN you imagine a .45 buck on an SOP C96 grip?
Because THAT is the same.
Terrible for a comfortable Weaver stance.
It already weighs 3 pounds, I put a thumb stabe on the mag base because it's gonna be more.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Yup i get it.

Like I said in the other thread I'm actually working out a design based on an old Argentine machine pistol concept based off the mac10 design but using a forward magazine well instead of a well in the grip. It was called the MPA and was in 9mm.

My prototype will be in 7.62x25 because I already have gun parts kits ammunition and magazines on hand that can be used for the prototype.

Believe it or not the rest of the parts will mostly come from modified AR15 parts including a strike industries modified ambi safety kit with 90 degree throw and a modified Stark Industries pistol grip, the one with the single point sling swivel in the back of it. 32 round double stack magazines and a breakaway race gun style holster that should make it shockingly concealable, for something with a 32 round magazine.

I still have a bunch of math to do to calculate bolt weight and proper hydraulic buffer specs before I anneal a donor CZ-26 bolt, drill and mill firing pin path, mill the bolt and etc. After that I'll probably do a couple 75% load test fires and maybe a single 95%. Then it'll be off for professional hardening heat treat and chrome for the bolt. I may sacrifice one bolt in testing and just fab a couple more for the ones I want to keep. All in all it will be fairly cheap as these things go when you're basically building an entirely new gun you designed yourself.

After that one I'll probably redo it in short recoil and still 7.62 tokarev. Then make several in the 2 calibers I really want it in.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   

I adore my Sub9 carbine I often wonder about that French folding magwell to conceal the gun.
Then there is my weird obsession with a SPAS 12 hook....still a work in progress..

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Haha, so you caught that this was going to be my trick for making it concealable!

It's actually why I'm gonna build it using CZ26 parts rather than one of my PM63 rak parts kits which I got when they each came with two of the short mags and two long mags per kit. The shape of the 7.62 tokarev CZ26 magazines will make the folding part easier to build and serve as a very useful self tightening wedge to make the entire setup mechanically strong without having to overbuild it.

What's really cool is I figured out a way to make the magwell self deploy upon clearing the holster. I'm not going to make it completely self fold though unless there's a way to make the actual firing cycle power it. Additionally though as it folds back in it will butt the magazine tightly up against the trigger guard giving minimal length in folded position.

None of this is technically difficult, but it will pay large dividends in usability, concealability, and deployment and reholstering speed.

I'm kinda fascinated by the combat pistol and pdw type firearms classes because of the insanely contradictory requirements.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Sorry I didn't respond ,I got banned.
WELL I have PAID the blacksmith and he hill NOW begin the grip modification.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I also want to build a colt 607 resto mod...use Ak food,takedown and folding for storage.

WHATS THE moderator actually do?
WITH the guts...

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   

The 607 mod you're describing is pretty intense and the moderator is just a not very effective suppressor.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I've actually been working for years on getting complete retro AR blueprints etc so I can crack off a retro build from whole cloth rather than burn up the ever decreasing supplies of genuine retro parts.

I mean, I could just buy nodak spud retro uppers and lowers like everyone else, but then there'd be no point owning my fabulous hoard of tools and etc!

Plus raw billett is cheaper than nodak spud receivers.

top topics

join