It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philae Lander is lost , But Now She's Found !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Philae may be little more than a happy memory to most of us but ESA never gave up trying to find her , today ESA released news that Philae has been found and they have pictures to prove it.

The images also provide proof of Philae’s orientation, making it clear why establishing communications was so difficult following its landing on 12 November 2014.
“With only a month left of the Rosetta mission, we are so happy to have finally imaged Philae, and to see it in such amazing detail,” says Cecilia Tubiana of the OSIRIS camera team, the first person to see the images when they were downlinked from Rosetta yesterday.

“After months of work, with the focus and the evidence pointing more and more to this lander candidate, I’m very excited and thrilled that we finally have this all-important picture of Philae sitting in Abydos,” says ESA’s Laurence O’Rourke, who has been coordinating the search efforts over the last months at ESA, with the OSIRIS and SONC/CNES teams.
blogs.esa.int...

Good job guys.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Oh yes! that's one for the real history books. Perhaps there will be more pictures.

.....And I thought I could throw this in as well

edit on 5-9-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I'm glad they found it, just before they crash Rosetta into the comet as the mission comes to an end.

With that raised arm, it kind of looks like it's waving.
edit on 5/9/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

With that raised arm, it kind of looks like it's waving.

That was the impression I got mate , waving farewell to ESA from her new canyon home .... kinda hits ya right there , doesn't it ?

edit on 5-9-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

As long as they don't crash Rosetta into the area that little fella is situated, it's probably going to last until the comet is destroyed by the Sun.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Astonishing capabilities to picture that rock lumping out in space and find the lander!

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Philae was never lost, Nor down. It was just not for the public eye.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahsurexxx

The evidence would seem to contradict that idea , Philae was supposed to land on the comet not in it.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

What evidence?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahsurexxx

The photograph of the location and position of the lander.
The reason Philae failed is because it couldn't get enough Solar power to recharge its batteries , the picture shows that.

top topics

join