It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Mongolia is changing all its addresses to three-word phrases-Introducing What3Words...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Having lived in Mongolia and traveled and worked with nomadic herders (as well has having lived and worked in other developing nations), this absolutely blows me away! This would have made my life so much easier 15 years ago when I spent days on end driving across the Mongol steppes looking for herding camps.

Many countries do not have well developed addressing systems. Mongolia is a perfect example of this, where half of the population is nomadic and simply does not stay in one place year-round.

Mongolia will become a global pioneer next month, when its national post office starts referring to locations by a series of three-word phrases instead of house numbers and street names...
from from Quartz at qz.com.

This startup, called What3Words, has divided the entire planet into 3m X 3m bits - 57 trillion of them - based on longitude and latitude coordinates and has developed an algorithm that assigns each bit a unique three-word name. Apps are available for smartphones that will allow anybody to do this. You get the name for your square on the grid, share it with anyone else (a visitor, someone sending a letter, an emergency assistance team), and they find you.

Mongolia is a vast country with endless steppes. The nomads move about freely and there is no physically possible way for each family to be given a fixed address. Winter and summer camps may be miles apart. This way, the address moves with the family and can be changed seasonally, but post, visitors, doctors, etc. can find them if they can simply send a short text message.

Even in areas with well developed addressing systems, this could eliminate problems. Recently a friend ordered three items from Amazon for deliver to a rural address. Two of the items arrived but the third was not delivered because they couldn't find the house address (where two other packages had already been delivered). With this system, there'd be no excuse.

I don't often get excited about technology but this does flip my switch!

edit on 2016 9 05 by incoserv because: I could

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I am SOOOO jealous!!!! '

Mongolia.....stares dreamily off into space!

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78
I am SOOOO jealous!!!! '

Mongolia.....stares dreamily off into space!

It was like a dream. Wish I were still there...

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Would this not be the start of a one world system, people slate the new world order but i think it could be very good for the planet.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Simple solution to a complicated problem. Genius.

Something like this needs push so I searched it in news articles. Looks they are gaining momentum and it raises ideas of the Amazon drone plans. There are a few news outlets that covered the product.

Google Play shows over 50k downloads for the app, but it can be way more than that. Reviews are very mixed with some pointing out the need for vertical stacks of 3words too. Where does the pizza delivery go in a tower block?

On a side note, there's a good travelogue in Mongolia by vice.com. I enjoyed watching the series a couple of years back. Be warned there's a lot of unnecessary f-bombs by the presenter.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

seems they should include the seasons for such since nomads tend to move around by them... seems a post office would do where everyone gets a key and a fob that could be solar charged and activated upon recieval of mail to go pick it up at their own post office box triggered by some sort of pressure plate that delivers a radio signal to the fob as an alert... not email but key mail :p

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
An interesting idea, but a look at the map on the place I was born gave me some strange combinations, like (translated from Portuguese) "again.eat.female".

It's true that Portuguese appears only as in "beta", but it looks like they need to get a better idea of how people use the words. Also, even in Portuguese, some words have a meaning in some locations and a different meaning in other locations, so what could be interpreted as a simple sentence in one location may be considered offensive in another.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Very very true like the ok hand gesture means so many things to different cultures in many it's very offensive... I've noticed a lot of hand gestures politicians make other than the ones people say are secret society and it's like best to keep those hands down when standing on the world stage... because of those communication blunders when someone doesn't speak the language but knows those gestures. it's blah blah blah vulgar gesture blah blah blah vulgar gesture and in their own language? Um this is who they have running their country?

join