It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Does Thought Use Higher Dimensions to Function?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
a reply to: Phage

You are right, it must be a line segment then. But actually, two points together are needed to form an infinite line, as well. Any line must pass between at least two points.

Semantics perhaps, but a line doesn't consist of two points, only a line segment is defined as such. A line, which has no beginning or ending can not be formed because it is infinite.
edit on 6-9-2016 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

However planets could possibly be 4 dimensional objects, This mimics how the earth and planets move except that's not a sphere

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Visitor2012

originally posted by: darkbake
a reply to: Phage

You are right, it must be a line segment then. But actually, two points together are needed to form an infinite line, as well. Any line must pass between at least two points.

Semantics perhaps, but a line doesn't consist of two points, only a line segment is defined as such. A line, which has no beginning or ending can not be formed because it is infinite.

That is true, and our universe is infinite as well. So there is a similarity between a line and a plane and a universe. This could get more interesting, then. Notice that parts of a line can be formed on paper. In that way, parts of a universe could be formed using higher dimensions.

But does that mean that it is not possible to form a whole universe? It really could mean that.
edit on 07pmWed, 07 Sep 2016 16:21:08 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

There something going on there. The old saying stupid is as it does or visa versa demonstrates.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Visitor2012

Thanks for asking this question. I am contacting a mathematics professor who is a friend of mine to ask him about this.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

But does that mean that it is not possible to form a whole universe? It really could mean that.

Staying strictly to the definition of form, I believe you're correct. The causal factor can create the universe, but not form it because it is infinite, without boundary, formless. Definitely semantics, but I feel this is so.
edit on 7-9-2016 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Is the Universe infinate?

If the Universe is expanding surely it has an edge or boundry ... though that boundry is expanding and as such working upon that which is outside it by enveloping and so changing it into a way of space

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

Cosmologists estimate that the oldest photons that we can observe have traveled a distance of 45-47 billion light years since the big bang. That means that our observable universe is some 93 billion light-years wide (give or take a few light years).

However, the observable universe only contains the light that has had time to reach us. A lot more universe exists beyond what we are able to observe. But wait, how can the universe be 93 billion light-years across if it is only 13.8 billion years old? Light hasn’t had enough time to travel that far…?

Well, according to special relativity, objects that are close together cannot move faster than the speed of light with respect to one another; however, there is no such law for objects that are extremely distant from one another when the space between them is, itself, expanding. In short, it is not that objects are traveling faster than the speed of light, but that the space between objects is expanding, causing them to fly away from each other at amazing speeds. According to the theory of cosmic inflation, the entire universe’s size is at least 10^23 times larger than the size of the observable universe.

What Lies Beyond the Edge of the Universe

So the universe is finite, however it is expanding. What is it expanding into? That could be empty space, probably infinite. Read the article to find out more. Some scientists think the universe is infinite. There is another multiverse theory that states there are multiple universes out there that sometimes bump into each other and all started with a big bang.
edit on 23pmFri, 23 Sep 2016 23:37:13 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Hi ... Yes I have read the articles
I have come across these ideas before

My thoughts differ in that I view space as a product of the Universe
An essential part of what a Universe is

So what I am saying is the stuff outside the Universe is not space but something other

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join