It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to format without DOS (??)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
hi there,

a question: I use WindowsXP, now its getting very crapy ..how can I format my HD without a floppy disk?..without a bootdisk..because I have to do it in DOS, but I can´t "reach" DOS without a Bootdisk..to type then :

format C:

you know what I mean?

See you!

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
You can find every Windows boot disk from Bootdisk.com, just download and extract to a disk. If you just want to format the drive you can use the “Windows ME” boot disk, it has the format function. I believe when you reinstall XP it automatically formats the drive. So it may not be necessary to boot from a floppy to format. If the problem is that you can’t reboot with your copy of Windows XP to install the program you need to download the Windows XP 6 Disk Setup Set. This will load all the XP setup files from the 6 floppy disks instead of trying to get these files from the CD allowing you to install the operating system from the CD even if you can’t boot from your Windows XP disk.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
You can find every Windows boot disk from Bootdisk.com, just download and extract to a disk. If you just want to format the drive you can use the “Windows ME” boot disk, it has the format function. I believe when you reinstall XP it automatically formats the drive. So it may not be necessary to boot from a floppy to format. If the problem is that you can’t reboot with your copy of Windows XP to install the program you need to download the Windows XP 6 Disk Setup Set. This will load all the XP setup files from the 6 floppy disks instead of trying to get these files from the CD allowing you to install the operating system from the CD even if you can’t boot from your Windows XP disk.

ja, the problem is, I haven´t a floppy disk drive..Yesterday I downloaded a program: "Partition Star" yeah right "Star" "Partition Crap" if you ask me but anyways.. I deleted my whole backup drive :bnghd:

But O.K. the problem solved anyway..just insert your Windows XP CD in the CD-Rom drive..change BIOS settings.."Boot from CDROM" than it starts from CD instead from HD..

I need a MAC...

thanks for your attention!

bye.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
If you can access the Start Menu...go to Run and type cmd, thatll bring up the Command Prompt where you can run format.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 05:19 AM
link   
boot of the windows xp cd then during the setup program it asks you to partition your hard drive if you want to you can format

top topics

join