It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are any masons on ATS Christians?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hurdy Gurdy

Does your organization attempt to get their members to vote for a particular candidate in an election?

Do they openly support a candidate and let it be known to their members?

No, neither politics nor religion are allowed in the Lodge. For example, Brother Senrak is a Conservative, and I am a Liberal; therefore, we probably almost always vote for different people.

A good example of multi-partisanship in Masonic membership can be seen in the 1940's, when three Masons (Democrat Truman, Republican Dewey, and States Rights Thurmond) all ran against each other.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Does your organization attempt to get their members to vote for a particular candidate in an election?

Do they openly support a candidate and let it be known to their members?

The discussion of politics (and religion) is strictly prohibited in lodge. As they can alienate people and divide the group. When you walk in to the lodge you leave your differences (social/political/economic etc) at the door and work for the common good (eg charity).

That being said... each member is an individual and can support whatever candidate they want, in what ever capacity they choose.....just not in lodge.

Doh! ML beat me to it :
:

[edit on 21-1-2005 by Golfie]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Major Discrepancy
As for the idea that a Mason must be Christian, many of the Masonic (and non-Masonic) Founding Fathers were Deists, a far cry from conventional Christian Theology.

Good to see you Major. Just back from the Inaugural Festivites, eh?

There's been a few times your brand of participation was sorely needed and missed here on ATS.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
im a mason a presbyterian mason, and believe in the evangelical church!

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I would not ask anyone in masonry to divulge secrets of masonry, however for the topics that have been discussed on the forum board a xtain mason interpretation of the interpretation of various things to be satanic/luceferian/or other wise noncompatible with christian and comparing that to the bible itself would make an interesting topic.

i think thats what the author was going to get at. 86 percent of the US is xtain and this is a US board . many newcommers get a usual political type arguments about this with few bible references. it was not as nydgan supposed, another opportunity to flame masons, or for masons to flame mason flamers, since both are not lacking and have long since dominated the SS section of ATS.

Id also like to see that ATS makes a Mason section of ATS to clear up the clutter from other SS discussions, though im sure somebody has probably thought of that idea before.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Just to answer the original question, if you haven't read my previous posts, I am also a Christian. Because I'm a Mason, some would say otherwise. Oh well.
It is possible to be both Christian and a Mason.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 02:27 AM
link   

i think thats what the author was going to get at. 86 percent of the US is xtain and this is a US board

actually i think if you look at the posting community you will find that it is
pretty much an international board.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
No, neither politics nor religion are allowed in the Lodge. For example, Brother Senrak is a Conservative, and I am a Liberal; therefore, we probably almost always vote for different people.

Probably right. Which is one of the reasons such discussion isn't allowed in Lodge. We might not feel so "brotherly" if it were.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I just thought I'd post a reply to the original poster. I'm a Freemason as well and a Christian (Episcopalian). I'd also like to add that MANY of the brothers I know are Christian (consider themselves to be so) and are ACTIVE in their churches. Those that aren't christian are also quite commonly active in their synagogues or temples.

I know of several hindu brothers and Moslem as well. So far as WE, as Masons are concerned we are all Children of the same FATHER.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

I find it difficult to believe that the American masons don’t attempt to get their own people into office considering their political involvement and dominance from the very beginning of this countries existence. You don’t get ((twenty)?) masonic presidents elected without some involvement from their lodges.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I find it difficult to believe that the American masons don’t attempt to get their own people into office considering their political involvement and dominance from the very beginning of this countries existence. You don’t get ((twenty)?) masonic presidents elected without some involvement from their lodges.

As previously mentioned, the fraternity does not support any particular political party. Masons who are Democtats will vote for Democrats, Masons who are Republicans will vote for Republicans, and Masons who are independents could swing either way. I have voted both for and against Masons, depending upon their stance on the issues, not their fraternal membership.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Actually, in the US there was a LOT of political influence in the 18th Century but a certain scandal involving the disappearance of a Cpt. Morgan led to the first THIRD PARTY in the US, as well as about 80% of the brothers leaving the Craft at that time (1826). Since that time, american Grand Lodges have eschewed any and all political involvement.

For further info, check THIS out

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
If you look at Freemasonry historically, most members have been Christians, as am I. In my lodge, many of us are also active members of our Episcopal Church. One of our retired Bishops is also a member. As a matter of fact, there are Christian degrees which one can take within Freemasonry. I think many people disassociate Freemasonry with Christianity because as you mentioned, we accept men of all religions. There has been a great deal of tension between the Catholic Church and Freemasnory throughout history, most likely based on money and authority.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The Worshipful Master for our lodge this year (2005) is Jewish.

And We do encourage everyone to vote, but not how to.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join