It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about cooking fat (oil) & health

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I've been wondering about this but I have no idea even how to look it up so I thought I would ask here.

Out of these two things, which is worse for you and which would make you fatter?

Eating 10g of fat straight up not cooked into anything, just as is.

or

Eating something with 12g of fat in it? Example a muffin (which also has sugar)

I'm wondering which of these two things if you did it daily would make you fatter faster. I'm guessing the 12g fat muffin.. based on the fact that there is more fat.. I could be wrong though.. if you eat straight fat vs something with fat in it, maybe you absorb less of the fat from the muffin because there is other stuff in there as well while the fat is just fat and absorb more.

The 10g of fat is coconut oil and the 12g of muffin fat would most likely be whatever is cheapest for a manufacturer.

Any ideas? This is an odd question but I'd love to know the answer, I can't find it myself. Thanks

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DumpMaster

Instead of eating the Coconut oil spread it everywhere You'll be exposed to Sol (the Sun) Then cook w/Grapeseed oil. If You want to start losing weight try this starting tomorrow a.m.

1 mug of warm-HOT water but not so hot that it'll burn Your tubes. If You want to fit into a dress by the midst of Fall, add a few drops of Lemon to jump-start Your metabolism. Chug the whole cup, do NOT sip. Do this EVERY a.m. and by the 3rd or 4th day You will indeed be a "Dump Master" and Your wanting to/HAVING to move Your bowels will be a daily constitution.. Weigh Yourself before starting. Drink water throughout the day. The closer You get to bedtime, the less water You'll want to drink.

Stay Hydrated...

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Hey umm, assuming you aren't joking with this--

does the umm bowel movement urge persist through the day or just after the chug?

I'd be willing to try it but I work on the road and can't be having those kind of stomach rumblings all day.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I think it depends on what kind of fats you are talking about. There are different kinds. The fat in an avocado is different from the fat in margarine is different from the fat from a steak ...

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Well a mere tablespoon of coconut oil has 14 grams of fat, of which almost all are saturated fat. Also, almost 120 calories.

An average commercial bran muffin of average size is 300 calories, and only 8 grams of fat, of which under 2 is saturated fat.

I'd choose the muffin...

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

It Depends™ or IN Your Depends™.. Shirley, I gest..

After You do it for a few days and make sure Your drink plenty of water, You'll actually be waking up to vacate or Your wanting to vacate will wake You up..

If You stand to pee and have a few rings for Your trunk, You'll figure out what time You need to stop the intake of liquids or else be up a few times...

"Most" folks are actually 'de-hydrated' and You'd be surprised on the number of folks that move their bowels 2x-4x a week!! This is a breeding ground for dis-ease. You want to travel in the "Ease" Lane.. Keep the innards clean..

You can also find scientific literature about the benefits of staying hydrated and Coconut oil in the fight against Alzheimer s and dementia...

If You're a Road Warrior I HIGHLY recommend it because 'on average' there are more 'fast foods/food on the run' type meals. These foods are loaded w/preservatives and other poisons..
I could recommend an actual diet that would also cut Your weight by 10-15 lbs. by doing the above and then eating EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   

The types of oils involved matter, for several reasons. The 2 biggest that come to mind are the types of fatty chains (chemistry terms), and then their natural antioxidant (etc) content.

As far as fatty chains there's not tooo big a difference between 3 of the 4 I'll mention (all the top picks), where the exception is coconut oil. It has a very unique chain compared to all other sources I've heard of, which reading articles it sounds like the best thing. Yet there si some controversy I gathered last I checked at Wikipedia. SO big a controversy that at the time the whole argument was effectively CONSORED on the reading side of the page. This was a year ago, but in the meantime I've been mixing it with the other good oils (as I would have anyways).

Then you have the actual ingredients metric (beyond the oil molecule itself). The best is Red Palm Oil (the oil fraction not the unique lard), then Olive Oil & Safflower Oil which sort of tie for #2 in their own ways.

As far as what will kill you, the expert on that is the LA Beast!

edit on 4-9-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Sorry to detract from the OP's topic.

I am going to send you a PM

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

Instead of eating the Coconut oil spread it everywhere You'll be exposed to Sol (the Sun) Then cook w/Grapeseed oil. If You want to start losing weight try this starting tomorrow a.m.

1 mug of warm-HOT water but not so hot that it'll burn Your tubes. If You want to fit into a dress by the midst of Fall, add a few drops of Lemon to jump-start Your metabolism. Chug the whole cup, do NOT sip. Do this EVERY a.m. and by the 3rd or 4th day You will indeed be a "Dump Master" and Your wanting to/HAVING to move Your bowels will be a daily constitution.. Weigh Yourself before starting. Drink water throughout the day. The closer You get to bedtime, the less water You'll want to drink.

Stay Hydrated...

lol, all the references to dumping in this thread are making me laugh pretty hard, lol. Good stuff.

Thanks for all the posts everyone, appreciate it.

While I'm not actually trying to lose weight, I am trying to prevent myself from becoming too fat.
I use the coconut oil / butter whatever you want to call it because it works best. I actually weigh the stuff before I eat it that's how I know how much it's weight is.

Say you eat something that has 10g of fat in it and another time you eat 10g of fat just as is, Will you absorb the same amount of fat from both of these things? If it's 10g of fat in some baked good, will less fat be absorbed because there is all sorts of other stuff as well, fiber and flour and whaever else, or would it be the same?

Like I got this jar of coconut butter from Sri Lanka. I want to eat it all, 10g's worth a day. Should I eat it straight or use it to make muffins each with 10g of fat in it and then eat a muffin? Which will make you fatter?

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: DumpMaster
lol, all the references to dumping in this thread are making me laugh pretty hard, lol. Good stuff.

Wellll........

Your name is "DumpMaster" now that look closely.

Are we all in the outside of your own inside joke here??

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Wellll........

Your name is "DumpMaster" now that look closely.

Are we all in the outside of your own inside joke here??

lol no, there is no joke. Unless you are referring to my name, it's kinda funny I guess.

No I am actually serious, I am wondering if more or less fat is absorbed into your body if you eat it straight up or cooked / baked into something.

It's for science

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   

No.

If you eat 10g of fat straight or hide it by cooking it into something, it's still 10g of fat unless you somehow alter the chemical structure of the fat by cooking it, but then it's not fat anymore.

After that, the only thing left is what kind of fat it was which determines how your body metabolizes it.

Sort of like water is water whether it's in solid, liquid or gas form. It's even still water when it's inside a watermelon.
edit on 4-9-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Neither.

Fat doesn't make you fat and it doesn't contribute to heart disease. Not even a little. Conservation of energy....your body doesn't like taking fat to make fat.

Sugar on the other hand (carbs in general, white and corn sugar in particular) causes heart disease, diabetes, liver problems, contributes to cancer, is the primary factor in tooth decay, and is the sole cause of obesity.

ETA: My dr says the same as this guy:

www.abc.net.au...

Sugar has propped up national economies....it has a powerful lobby and no shortage of funding for "research" to prove its not the poison it is.
edit on 9/4/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

No.

If you eat 10g of fat straight or hide it by cooking it into something, it's still 10g of fat unless you somehow alter the chemical structure of the fat by cooking it, but then it's not fat anymore.

After that, the only thing left is what kind of fat it was which determines how your body metabolizes it.

Sort of like water is water whether it's in solid, liquid or gas form. It's even still water when it's inside a watermelon.

interesting stuff thanks everyone.

From the sound of it, eating it straight up is "healthiest".

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Neither, fat (that you eat) has nothing to do with getting fat. A common misconception and great way to sell diet foods.

Instead focus on sugars, carbs, and ingredients that you cannot pronounce, which often have unnatural chemicals in them that prevent your body from processing what it needs properly.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89
Neither, fat (that you eat) has nothing to do with getting fat. A common misconception and great way to sell diet foods.

Instead focus on sugars, carbs, and ingredients that you cannot pronounce, which often have unnatural chemicals in them that prevent your body from processing what it needs properly.

Yep, become a label reader.

The fewer ingredients in a thing, the better generally speaking.

Or cook it for yourself from a recipe so you know what you are putting into it.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I think you absorb less if it's cooked into something, other ingedients would be dissolving it a bit.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

I use the coconut oil / butter whatever you want to call it because it works best.

That is what I use whenever possible.
Coconut oil doesn't burn as easily as butter does...so that's a plus.

Also, I've experimented a little...if you use only coconut oil, adding a little salt to the oil cuts the sweet tones of the oil. Sea salt is preferred here.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Interesting.. a reply to: JimNasium

new topics

top topics

join