It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You DO believe in God.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
A little tidbit I thought was interesting.

On a lie detector test, everyone for a number of years (for statistical study) was asked a number of questions not knowing why or even that there was anything out of the ordinary going on.
These were all people who were undergoing the test for what ever reason - no special testing was do to anyone until after the study was over. At this point, athiets and other non-believers were tested.
One of the questions that were asked, along with the standard name, age etc, was "Do you believe in God?" Check this out: Everyone that said yes, the lie detector test showed they were telling the truth on that question. But everyone who said no (including deep seated athiests etc) - the lie detector test showed that they had lied about that answer. Isn't that something!

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Have any links to this information that can prove it that are not religion biased?

I did a couple quick searches and the ONLY place I can find this information is on HEAVILY Catholic websites mixed in with how much god loves us and quotes from the bible.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Lie detectors don't detect lies, they detect stress. I'd say that the atheists and agnostics were stressed by the questions, and that this is not indicative of lying. Indeed, why would they lie about it anyway?

Also, is there a source for this, or is it just a story?

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Derek Trance
Have any links to this information that can prove it that are not religion biased?

I did a couple quick searches and the ONLY place I can find this information is on HEAVILY Catholic websites mixed in with how much god loves us and quotes from the bible.

I didn't even know it was on a website somewhere. I think if you read it elsewhere it must have been a different study with the same variables. This was a blurb I heard on a talk radio station - I believe it was the author of a book that isn't published yet that was talking about different areas had gathered info from. And yes, I would think the author IS religion biased. But the testers and testies were not.

The title to this thread - I am not actualy making that claim - that everyone does believe - my opinion is pretty much worthless to another man or woman. But it IS interesting!

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I am sure that someone will find a study that says just the reverse of that study.
It seems that far to may people want to disprove the existance of a god and I guess I can understand why some do not like religion but what do they hope to gain.
If you take Billions of people who live by the laws of their god and all of the sudden prove to them there is no god what would you have left?
Now all of the sudden these billions have nothing to worship no Heaven no Hell ,when their entire lives have been based on what they thought they knew.
Whats next, now what is right and what is wrong what is good or bad. Even if you are a athiest the right and wrong that you know is based on religion like it or not.
Are the non religious persons of the world ready for that outcome the outcome of billions with no direction?

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I suppose my first question would be: Who's version of god?

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Lie detectors don't detect lies, they detect stress. I'd say that the atheists and agnostics were stressed by the questions, and that this is not indicative of lying. Indeed, why would they lie about it anyway?

Good thought.
Still, ALL the people who answered no to the question were nervious or stressed by the question? I don't think I'd be stressed about that question mixed in next to name and number as much as I would be stressed by "Did you kill her?"

I didn't read it, I heard it on a talk radio program. There will be a book published - I'll have to tune in to the station and see if it comes up angain and make note of the title and author.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Did anyone answer "I don't know?" If so, what was the lie detector's analysis of that one?

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngelaLadyS

Originally posted by Nygdan

Good thought.
Still, ALL the people who answered no to the question were nervious or stressed by the question?

Sure, why not? Its a stressful question, especially since so many atheists are raised in religious families.

I don't think I'd be stressed about that question mixed in next to name and number as much as I would be stressed by "Did you kill her?"

Why do you think that that question was being asked?

I didn't read it, I heard it on a talk radio program.

I suggest that this is not true then. Perhaps thats overly skeptical of me.

I'll have to tune in to the station and see if it comes up angain and make note of the title and author.

That should prove interesting.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It needs to also be taken into consideration that a lie detector does not detect any sort of absolute or universal truth. It only detects what an individual believes to be true.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Nygdan,
I think that if it is a stressful question, wouldn't that in itself imply that the person isn't steadfast in the belief that their answer is really no? Which, although I won't go so far as to say that they really do believe, but at least a question would be in their mind.
I'm a Christian myself, so I would think, being a believer, that all that are created would believe in their creator even if they deniied it. I'm leaving that thought out of this particular situation because it would be a biased opinion.
Which leads me to another question.
I wonder if a person would pass a lie detector test if they answered a different question with a 'supressed belief'. Supose a child saw her father kill her mother and was shocked and in denied it happened. If the brain, as it tends to do, suppressed the even from her memory. Say this child was then asked, on a lie detector test, if her father had killed her mother. In her mind it didn't happen. She believed it didn't happen. She answers no. In reality - it did happen and she really does know this. What would the detector say to this answer I wonder?

The question "Do you believe in God" was just a 'pre' question. From what I understand, they ask some questions just to get a base line before asking the questions pertinate to the reason for the test. This question, which had been one of the question asked in many other tests as a base line question (the questions being up to the examiner and not making a difference - at least back in the day when no one cared and didn't have discriminatory law suits going on every where).
There were no particular peoples chosen for the study from what I understand. It was just 'thrown in' as one of those pre test questions to those who where already being tested.

Now here is something I was trying to avoid saying (that biased based opinon thing)... It is because it was on the christian talk radio program that I never even consider that the content isn't true.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
It needs to also be taken into consideration that a lie detector does not detect any sort of absolute or universal truth. It only detects what an individual believes to be true.

Now this is the part I find almost paranormal or in some way spiritual natured.... I don't think those people were lieing. Not all of them anyway. I think many people truely don't believe there is a God. Now when a person really don't believe, but the lie detector behaves as if they do???

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It is possible that an athiest when asked this question becomes so distressed that it comes up as a lie.
lie detectors are not admisable in court, I cannot belive such a study as it is clearly slanted towards proving that atheists don't realy belive what they belive.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Well, I usually try to say in the middle of things when it comes to religious stuff. cause I don't want anyone pushing it at me and I don't push it at anyone.
I hope whatever you believe gets you through your day.

But here's my take :
I myself grew up roman catholic, went to church CCD etc...

I rebelled a bit growing up. I didn't want anyone TELLING me what to believe, I wanted to believe on my own.

I went to a bunch of different religions' masses and talked to alot of people.

Around 1992 I decided I was agnostic. I decided I believed in some sort of creator, but not in the way he/she was portraid in any of the religions that I had run across.

Today if you asked me, I'd say I was agnostic, But borderline athiest.

If someone asked me if I believed in god,
My immediate response would be "That depends on what you mean by god."
(Actually I try to use the word creator or supreme being, not god>
I'd be interested to see what a "No" would get me on a lie detector.

Can I see myself dying just like going to sleep and never waking up....lights out and there is no more....yep.

Do I wish there was something after and secretly hope there is? Sure I do, cause everyone has to have hope and have some meaning for existing.

As far as the "base line" questions. Usually they ask your name these days. i.e. - Is your name .

No idea if they asked if you believed in god back in the day though.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Halfofone
It is possible that an athiest when asked this question becomes so distressed that it comes up as a lie.
lie detectors are not admisable in court, I cannot belive such a study as it is clearly slanted towards proving that atheists don't realy belive what they belive.

I get what your saying. It wasn't actualy out to proove or disproove anything. It was just something someone happened to notice, then decided to put to the test.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I get what your saying. It wasn't actualy out to proove or disproove anything. It was just something someone happened to notice, then decided to put to the test.

I'd like to see this done under scientific conditions with a base line and a good mix of religious and not religious people.
It would be interesting to see what actually happens.

But as far as I am concerned, anything I have found on this is religions way of proving god exists even if you don't believe.

Propoganda.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Derek Trance

I'd like to see this done under scientific conditions with a base line and a good mix of religious and not religious people.
It would be interesting to see what actually happens.

But as far as I am concerned, anything I have found on this is religions way of proving god exists even if you don't believe.

Propoganda.

Oh you are absolutely right - it was written up to proove God exists. But aside from 'why' it was done... Like you, I
d like to see it done again and get more info on it. I think I will call that station and see if I can get more details.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngelaLadyS
Nygdan,
I think that if it is a stressful question, wouldn't that in itself imply that the person isn't steadfast in the belief that their answer is really no?

Steadfast? Possibly they are not fanatical about it. They might have to constantly deal with the issue, rather than rely on upbringing.

What would the detector say to this answer I wonder?

ie detectors haven't, i beleive, been shown to be especially effective at detecting lies. They measure stress, and assume a correlation between various stresses and truthfulness.

The question "Do you believe in God" was just a 'pre' question. From what I understand, they ask some questions just to get a base line before asking the questions pertinate to the reason for the test. This question, which had been one of the question asked in many other tests as a base line question
Sounds implausible, but then again I'm not a detector operator. Seems that the questions asked at the begining for the base line might fall into 'easy truth' 'uncomfortable truth' 'personal information', etc etc. The baseline itself wouldn't be something that can be used to distinguish between lies.

It was just 'thrown in' as one of those pre test questions to those who where already being tested.

I think the fact that its people who are having lie dectors applied to them for some other reason already taints the study, if there is a study, with bias.

It is because it was on the christian talk radio program that I never even consider that the content isn't true.

Well, i tend to beleive that people will normally tell the truth, but that they might, practically unknowingly, 'bias' their own interpretations of the evidence to come out to confirm what they already suspect. Hence the need for experimental and statistical controls and repetition.

Now when a person really don't believe, but the lie detector behaves as if they do???

I think I see where you are going with that, but its seems rather silly. Lie dectors aren't 'truth detecting devices'. They measure stress. A person who is telling the truth, that they don't beleive in god, isn't going to score a 'lie' on the detector becasue god really does exist, or becuase his creation 'knows' that he exists.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
A lie detector does not prove a lie or truth. But it helps aid in interigation

Another way to flip this is using the Colobine shootings as an example. Having a crazy person put a gun on your head telling you he is going to shoot all Christians, then asking if you belive in Jesus.

It is not the kind of test of faith that anyone wants. It doesn't mean they are NOT christians, but they are afraid of what is going ot heppen to them if they answer.

new topics

top topics

join