It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft machine brains going into a refrigerator

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Microsoft machine brains going into a refrigerator

Great! Now I have to worry about my refrigerator catching a virus or getting hacked, then my microwave, then my blender, then my waffle maker...what's next my massage/thermal bed?

an Francisco (AFP) - Microsoft is putting its machine brains into a Liebherr refrigerator. The US technology giant and Liebherr are collaborating on a new "SmartDeviceBox" that take the kitchen appliance beyond cooling comestibles to reminding people what they need at the market, Microsoft principal data scientist TJ Hazen said in a blog post Friday. The box is an internet-connected module that fits inside refrigerators and freezers. Microsoft is putting machine vision capabilities to work to enable boxes to recognize milk cartons, ketchup bottles and other food inside refrigerators, according to Hazen. The SmartDeviceBox uses cameras and object recognition technology to track what is in a refrigerator, keeping an inventory list, so that can be accessed through applications tailored for smartphones powered by Android, Apple or Windows software, Microsoft news center staff member Athima Chansanchai said in an online post. "In the near future, Liebherr refrigerators will help you shop and plan meals through intelligent food management," Chansanchai said.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: searcherfortruth

Great time for hackers with trolling intentions.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Smart appliances have been around for a little while now and there have already been security risks.

One thing I would love to see is someone hacking a garbage disposal and having it shout "Feed Me!" and then doing the Feed me song from little shop of horrors.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

One more chink in their protective armor. Smart phones on our person, smart meters on the utilities and smart appliances that record where you are in the house and when. All part of securing you location and activity information while you are out of the public realm at home.

One of the last places they can't effectively monitor us all the time. One day they'll be on every faucet, wall outlet and light switch, too.

In effect a map of your daily ritual will be analyzed by the local AI to see if like Winston in 1984, you are 'behaving' or not. But they'll leave a little corner in the home where you can't be seen, too.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
How many calls will they get along the lines of "Sir, the screen froze".

Last time shopping I saw smart deep fry. A smart deep fry. You had to operate it manually like all the others, but you have an app that tells you that the fries are ready.

Really?

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Can't wait for the dark ages to return.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

An app to tell me when to take a crap would be useful.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Rather have dumb ones.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: searcherfortruth
a reply to: intrptr

Can't wait for the dark ages to return.

mmm, just after.

new topics

top topics