It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother Teresa declared a saint before huge crowds in the Vatican

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DumpMaster

Don't forget Mother Teresa's friends are mass murderers

Mother Teresa was an admirer of the Duvalier regime in Haiti. The rule of ‘Papa’ and ‘Baby’ Doc was known, worldwide, to be brutally oppressive and incredibly cruel to the people of the impoverished country. Both were known to live a lavish lifestyle at the expense of the people of Haiti, to allow the torture and murder of their detractors and to be involved in the underground trade in both drugs and body parts. Nevertheless Mother Teresa had no compunctions about accepting an award from Baby Doc and to say of the Duvaliers that they ‘love their poor and their love was reciprocated.’

Mother Teresa did not confine her controversial actions to Haiti. When she returned to her homeland of Albania in 1989 she visited the widow of the former communist Dictator Enver Hoxha and laid flowers on his grave. She spent time with many communist party officials and at no time used her visit to condemn the human rights abuses of the communist regime or their brutal suppression of religion. Even if the reality was that she could not make any negative comments during her visit she could have used her position to make comments and condemnations from abroad.

www.listland.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: DumpMaster

Don't forget Mother Teresa's friends are mass murderers

Mother Teresa was an admirer of the Duvalier regime in Haiti. The rule of ‘Papa’ and ‘Baby’ Doc was known, worldwide, to be brutally oppressive and incredibly cruel to the people of the impoverished country. Both were known to live a lavish lifestyle at the expense of the people of Haiti, to allow the torture and murder of their detractors and to be involved in the underground trade in both drugs and body parts. Nevertheless Mother Teresa had no compunctions about accepting an award from Baby Doc and to say of the Duvaliers that they ‘love their poor and their love was reciprocated.’

Mother Teresa did not confine her controversial actions to Haiti. When she returned to her homeland of Albania in 1989 she visited the widow of the former communist Dictator Enver Hoxha and laid flowers on his grave. She spent time with many communist party officials and at no time used her visit to condemn the human rights abuses of the communist regime or their brutal suppression of religion. Even if the reality was that she could not make any negative comments during her visit she could have used her position to make comments and condemnations from abroad.

www.listland.com...

Yeah you're right. There's lots of horrible things that ugly piece of trash did and I bet there are things that will never come to light.

Luckily for the world she is now nothing more than a rotting skeleton corpse.

If she can become a saint in 2016, I bet they will make Hitler a saint in 2020.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I see lots of compelling arguments here. All of which are based upon inaccurate subjective facts.

Do any of you know what the untouchables are? No? Well they are a group so low on the totem-pole (misnomer since the lowest figure on a totem pole is most powerful), that you are not supposed to touch them much less feed, help, or comfort them. She gave these people aide the best way she could and ran a hospice (not a hospital), which is a place to ease the suffering of those whom are dying.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

The best way she could wasn't good enough and was downright inhumane. Do a bit of digging and there's a number of her own nuns that speak out against her and plenty of charity workers too :/

Funny how people questioning her have "subjective facts" whereas the argument you present is "Truth" TM.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: jokei

No, my view can be seen as subjective too. I just find it amazing that people come out of the woodworks to criticize someone for doing the best good that they could, on a thread that was meant to inform about something that happened.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 03:51 AM
link   

From my point of view.

In one way it is sad that the Catholic Church do not have a better person where there is no doubt that she/he was a force for good.

I wish Mother Teresa was as good as the spin doctors say because that would mean that suffering was lessened in this world.

The ideal of helping others and following the golden rule is something very beautiful even divine. So even if people here are not impressed with Theresa there are other souls including you that can follow those ideals and relieve suffering.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Very sad, but not unsurprised, to see such vitriol directed towards Mother Teresa. In the context of her time and place she did a great deal of good for the poorest of the poor in Calcutta (now Kolkata).

I would like to see some of her critics and judges actually do some charitable work for the poor before they criticise.

Note that I am not a Catholic, and don't like her position (or the Catholic position) of abortion or birth control amongst other issues.

edit on 5/9/2016 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
From my understanding people who choose to attack someone who did what they could in their own time, are simply attempting to vindicate their current viewpoints by proving good people of the past were not good (if only by their own standards).

In other words . . . they are attempting to make their social viewpoints the standards by which everyone in history should be judged.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Who says we do not? I do more good than she ever did in my job. Decent care not the so called care she provided.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

I get it now, you are trying to make this about you instead of her. If you have that much jealousy, you could always write a letter to the Catholic church for eventual cononization yourself. But that would mean a huge ego on your part. Sorry, I guess you're stuck.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Another psychopath gets canonized by this Pope, right after he canonized Junípero Serra.

I should have known about Serra. I was born very close to El Camino Real "600-mile (965-kilometer) road connecting the former Alta California's 21 missions (along with a number of sub-missions), four presidios, and three pueblos, stretching from Mission San Diego de Alcalá in San Diego in the south to Mission San Francisco Solano in Sonoma to the north." But then, as the article you linked to pointed out, we only got exposed to it in 4th Grade.

School field trip to Mission San Luis Rey, stop by Live Oak Park, where there are mortar holes ground into the granite for grinding acorns. The teacher said these were ancient and hadn't been used for thousands of years, yet the site is an easy march up a broad river valley from the mission. Cover up?

California Genocide

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful, we have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing!" - Mother Teresa

Konstantin Jireček “We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.”
Konstantin Josef_Jire%C4%8Dek (1825–1888)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Nope I have seen what care she gave. To me it isn't care.
Oh and no I aint jealous if there is a helll she will be in it I will not I actually help people.
Oh and be a saint? Sorry I have seen so called saints anything but.
edit on 5-9-2016 by TheKnightofDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

OK, thanks . . . that is the first time ever I have seen that quote attributed to someone other than Mother Teresa

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Ha! I also grew up in Southern California, and remember the field trips to the missions. Although, you've a better memory than I when it comes to the details. I do remember the teachers and mission guides making old mission life seem quaint and cozy, though.

Cover up? No doubt!

I'm sure if Charles Dickens would have known of Mother Teresa she would have been written in as a character in "Oliver Twist".

edit on 5-9-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I'm sure if Charles Dickens would have known of Mother Teresa she would have been written in as a character in "Oliver Twist".

The main problem with fitting her in to Oliver Twist is that the stage is too small, needs something bigger, or at least the allusion to a bigger stage:

"One minute, I'm in Central Park
Then I'm down on Delancey Street
From the Bowery to St. Marks
There's a syncopated beat
The rhythm of the city
Boy, once you get it down
Then you can own this town
You can wear the crown
Ev'rything goes
Ev'rything fits
They love me at the Chelsea
They adore me at the Ritz
And even when I crossed that line
I got street savoir-faire"

ETA

Then there's this:

"Perfect isn't easy
But it's me
When one knows the world is watching
One does what one must
Some minor adjustments, darling
Not for my vanity
But for humanity
No, girl, you need a pro
Not a flea or a flaw
Perfection becomes me, nest ce pas?
Unrivaled, unruffled
Jaws drop, hearts stop
Tho' many covet my bone and bowl
They're barking up the wrong tree
You pretty pups all over the city
I have your hearts and you have my pity
Pretty is nice but still
It's just pretty
Perfect, my dears
Is me"

edit on 5-9-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Haha. Delightful little scamps make "it" look so easy. But, I was thinking more of these kinds of "Dickens' characters" for St Teresa's Calcutta.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I must admit that after reading several articles about the saint she totally deserves the distinction of Roman Catholic Saint.

Privately, Mother Teresa experienced doubts and struggles over her religious beliefs which lasted nearly 50 years until the end of her life, during which "she felt no presence of God whatsoever", "neither in her heart or in the eucharist" as put by her postulator, the Rev. Brian Kolodiejchuk. Mother Teresa expressed grave doubts about God's existence and pain over her lack of faith:

Where is my faith? Even deep down ... there is nothing but emptiness and darkness ... If there be God—please forgive me. When I try to raise my thoughts to Heaven, there is such convicting emptiness that those very thoughts return like sharp knives and hurt my very soul.

Mother Teresa: Spiritual life

A normal (non-celebrity, not founder of a Congregation of Missionaries of Charity) person would have abandoned an empty faith like that after 5, or 10, or 20 years, and sought some other more fulfilling outlook on life. The benefit of being relatively unknown in the World is the freedom to follow one's own conscience rather than being stuck in a role that is pre-set, even if pre-set by one's own immature notions of life and faith and meaning.

So what role was she mechanically playing for 50 years?

"I met her. My impression was that she was a woman of profound faith, at least in the sense that one can say of anyone, who is a completely narrow-focused single-minded fanatic, that they are a person of faith," says Hitchens.

Did he meet her before or after he made up his mind about her?

"It was by talking to her that I discovered, and she assured me, that she wasn't working to alleviate poverty," says Hitchens. "She was working to expand the number of Catholics. She said, 'I'm not a social worker. I don't do it for this reason. I do it for Christ. I do it for the church.'"

And the church listened to Christopher Hitchens, but decided that his argument was irrelevant.
cbsnews The Debate Over Sainthood (2003)

We are living in an era of readily available information. In the past, hagiographies could take shape decades and centuries after the "holy person" and his/her critics had been dead and otherwise forgotten without the hagiographies living on unchallenged for centuries and millennia.

Ah, the benefits of freedom enjoyed by the anonymous cannot be over praised!

edit on 6-9-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

ETA

But, I was thinking more of these kinds of "Dickens' characters" for St Teresa's Calcutta.

The scene there, is Oliver being initiated into the secrets of where the wallets and handkerchiefs came from. He still had that twinkle in his eye from thinking that the street gang was making wallets and handkerchiefs to sell. Kind of how Anjezë Gonxhe(little flower) Bojaxhiu had adolescent ideas of saints and missionaries, before Mother Teresa, aged 38 started the actual work, and burned out 10 years in.
edit on 6-9-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1   >>

join