It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riding horses? Total beginner need tips.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver
Yes a hemophiliac. Frankly, I don't remember where I heard it, maybe from a rancher long ago, an old Western movie or re-runs of western tv series. I took it as true because I'm no good around horses.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Horses are extremely sensitive and intelligent creatures. It can take years of love and dedication to become a true horseman, but I think many people can enjoy riding with the help of a good trainer. Find someone who has a 'packer' ( a horse that can put up with anybody-lol) and learn some basic handling and seat skills. Be calm, relaxed and respectful around your mount. Olaru12 is right though.. don't inflate your skill level to get the job, it can and most likely will, get you seriously injured. Even a very steady mount can become quite fractious, and it happens fast. The inexperienced are shocked by the explosive raw power and speed a horse has when they spook. Yes they will know if you are scared or nervous. Depends on the horse on how they will react. Most will just think... "Heeeheee hee..this guy doesn't know what he's doing, I'll just stop here for a bite of grass.. maybe I will gallop over the hill first and come to an abrupt halt..THEN eat.. lol" Good luck and have fun. They are amazing and wonderful animals.

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom
... I was just in one with this show, with some extras that claimed they could ride....but couldn't. Don't BS just to get the gig. The horse bump isn't worth getting injured or injuring someone else.

olaru12..you were a stunt double in Mag 7??!! That is so Bad Ass! I can't wait to see this one.
Are you allowed to tell us some of the 'behind the scenes' happenings?

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Starcrossd

olaru12..you were a stunt double in Mag 7??!! That is so Bad Ass! I can't wait to see this one. Are you allowed to tell us some of the 'behind the scenes' happenings?

I wish I had of been a stunt double. I was an extra/background that was required to ride about 1oo yrds. I however did audition for 2 speaking roles that I didn't get; So background was all that was left. I did see one extra get thrown from his mount require the wranglers to round up the horse and bring him back. Extras in New Mexico don't have a union. I'm working on a new show currently that looks pretty good.

www.imdb.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

OOo that sounds good too!
Hey it's still neat to make the extras! Most of us never get to work around film crews and such. My friend has worked on some stuff with her dogs, she says it's mostly standing around waiting-lol!
Thanks for sharing

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Well I had my first lesson and I met a horse called Laura......bloody that name 2 ex wives called that and now a horse.
Anyhow I think I did okay I didn't fall off and went around one lap at the end by myself without the trainer next to me.
I didn't ask If I can wear my armour next week I think I will charm the horse and trainer more before asking.
Oh next week my pal is coming so I will get a video

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Do not wear tennis shoes. get yourself a good pair of riding boots. The stirrups will rub and cause sores if you don't. There is also a chance of getting stepped on. Propper footwear is a must.

Knee bend exercises and squats, do them, you'll that me later when you aren't in as much pain as you could be.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

Yeah my inner thighs sure do hurt a bit..must admit it was fun

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   

How long will it take to be able to say "Yes I can ride a Horse?" because If it is going to cost me 30 quid an hour I would like to work out the cost.

Riding is nothing more then sitting on the horse really... getting up to a gallop is a different story all together

walk.. trot... canter... gallop

Do they smell fear?

all animals can sense it... so... yes

Is it like riding a bike? once you learn you never forget?.

Yes... but every horse is different

It doesn't say but will they expect me to muck em out after the lesson?

Doubtful... IF you're a beginner you'll be riding a dead broke horse

Oh last question do you think they will sense I have eaten their kind?

thats kinda nasty but whatever...

Expect a sore back the next day IF you do anything more then walking...

And hope they're not training you in an english saddle... no horn lol

Good luck

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   

really dig ur spurs into the horses side

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join