It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Little Kindness In The World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Sometimes someone does something that just makes me proud to be a human being. With all the horrible things we see on a daily basis along with all the hate, stories like this one just make me smile.

5-Year-Old Boy Buys Police Sandwiches With Allowance Money

William dubbed Wednesday August 24, 2016 as “Kindness Day” as he toured the town doing small deeds of kindness for the community. His first stop was the Winslow Police Department, where he showed up with a catered lunch and snacks from a local Subway and balloons for the officers on duty. He was even given a special key so he could unlock the police entrance by himself. William told the staff that he wanted to be a police officer one day, just like them, as they help “keep us safe.” Police Chief George Smith gave William police memorabilia include pens and magnets to thank him for the delicious lunch he had paid for.

Sometimes it takes the actions of a small child to make us remember that sometimes we can give back too.

Now, I know that police in general are not supposed to accept gifts, because it gives a sense of indebtedness. But seeing as the kid is five, I see no harm here. In fact the police were really helping the kid by accepting the gift, by giving him satisfaction for what he saved up for and making him an honorary cop for the day. I think the story would have been a little better had the cops bought him the RC car he was saving for later and presented it to him though.

And to make it even better is the list of other acts he did on his "Kindness Day", such as feeding the shelter and donating his own toys.

Anyway, this story made me smile and I wanted to share it.

Kudos to the kid . . . William Evertz Jr.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

Good for him and thanks for sharing!

I hope more folks raise those types of humans.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing the story

The world needs more caring acts to uplift it
After all Humanity is one big family if somewhat dysfunctional at present

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Each one of us can make the difference we want to see in the world.

So proud of this wee little boy! What a big heart!

I pray that nothing in the world brings him down to its level.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Yup, if a 5yo boy can save his allowance and do something like this, imagine what the rest of us can do.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

Thanks for sharing a positive e story... its a nice change with everything else going on.

In my city a gas station chain always gives free coffee / soda to officers who stop by. The Chief sent the chain a letter asking them to stop that practice. The chain sent a letter back telling the chief they like it when officers stop by as it helps build a relationship, it serves as a deterrent to would be criminals, it lets the police interact with customers. They stated that as a private business they will run their business as they see fit, and if that means giving officers free coffee and soda over the objections of the chief ,then they will continue to do so. They viewed it as the least they could do given the job police officers do on a daily basis.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I live in the south and we have a greasy spoon call the Waffle house. They provide coffee and whatever else to the police and sheriffs. I'm a late night owl and occasionally go there for take-outs. Quite often they are in there-makes me feel safe.

I discussed it a couple times with the cooks and staff and they love having them there-especially at night.
This is a pretty quiet town but it is changing. They like their presence-so do I.

I believe in the ops story the police chief is concerned about pr-that's it. Here we are concerned more about safety.
I'm now stating the obvious, and I apologize.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Yeah, when I was a cop the local Waffle House paid an off-duty cop double his normal pay to sit in there 24/7 (rotating off-duty officers) as an extra duty. We typically got 1-4 calls a night there and on weekends you could guarantee at least 250 people at the waffle house (seated 45). Most arrests (and taserings) on Saturdays typically happened there. And this was in a town of

top topics

join