It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American citizens need to grow up!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: americanbuffalo1

Use your imagination, Think of the full history of the USA from inception in 1776 to current. Now think of your current Government and the situation the American citizens now find themselves in, are you in 2016 or 1775?

Not advocating anything just looking at History

Cheers

CbG
edit on 2016-09-03T10:54:20-05:002016Sat, 03 Sep 2016 10:54:20 -0500bSaturday5409America/Chicago1610 by corblimeyguvnor because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

I know exactly what your saying. Your British too. I love it!

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: intrptr

I am disappointed with my fellow Americans. We have devolved into a nation of spoiled, entitled children. This country is in distress and WE DID IT TO OURSELVES!!! Being apathetic and selfish, acting out in our own self interests, allowing the corrupt to lead us, blindly believing we are better than anyone else - American Exceptionalism-.

Wait till the generation of adult children 'raise' the next generation. They were never taught how to behave, imagine what their kids will be like.

You forgot "Now, get off my lawn."

Generation X doesn't see the value of owning manicured lawns. At least they're getting that part right.

Their kids won't be able to afford them.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Maybe we should make it a point that no one can attain office unless they have served in the Military.

That should fix a few things.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Sorry but I have to call BS on that. How many kids still in elementary school are walking around with an iPhone, a tablet, wearing overpriced name brand shoes and clothes in this country? I can think of at least 30 people whom I personally know, whose children have all of these things...and more, while the parents work two and three jobs to support such extravagance, and complain incessantly about how hard it is to "make ends meet".

It matters not one whit whether the parents are present or not, either. Electronics are convenient babysitters, and parents today use them with impunity. They're perfectly able to "be there to raise their kids"...they simply don't want to. It's easier to buy more toys and expensive clothes, gadgets, etc. to keep them placated than actually being a parent.

What second grader needs an iPhone6?? What kindergartner has a need for a $200 pair of sneakers??There is a huge difference between needing something and wanting something, and that line has been grievously blurred in this country. And it's the people who are making the least wages who are doing this the most.

No, it's not an issue of wages. It's a choice. These people are not helpless. They simply feel entitled, just like the OP says. They want to have their cake and eat it too, and the best way to do that is to blame someone else for their own stupid choices. And they're raising their kids to think exactly like they do.

People in this country need to put down the crutch of blame and start taking responsibility for their own choices and actions. Budget their household like millions of us are able to do, despite money being tight at times. It's not hard. It just requires common sense and restraint. Prioritizing.

The very last thing we need are more excuses, and that particular excuse has been played out. People who truly want things to be better will get off their asses and make it happen. Those who won't have no one to blame but themselves.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I am disappointed with my fellow Americans. We have devolved into a nation of spoiled, entitled children. This country is in distress and WE DID IT TO OURSELVES!!! Being apathetic and selfish, acting out in our own self interests, allowing the corrupt to lead us, blindly believing we are better than anyone else - American Exceptionalism-.

Wait till the generation of adult children 'raise' the next generation. They were never taught how to behave, imagine what their kids will be like.

You forgot "Now, get off my lawn."

Generation X doesn't see the value of owning manicured lawns. At least they're getting that part right.

Their kids won't be able to afford them.

Their kids wouldn't know how to start up a lawnmower without watching a step-by-step tutorial on YouTube, either. Or perhaps you were talking about paying someone else to do the work for them?

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: americanbuffalo1
Part of the systemic dysfunction of living in the wealthiest country on earth.

Systemic is right. Trickle down dysfunction brought upon us buy the very wealthy at the top of corporations, banks and the gubment.

The wealth is at the top, the workaday struggle to keep them wealthy.

See what happens when capitalism is unregulated; And the corporate Oligarchy decides social policy in conjunction with almost unlimited political power.

And so the solution is to elect a corporate billionaire CEO to lead us out of this mess?

The irony is delicious.

What a load of crap.
Social programs giving everything to anybody with their hand out caused an entitlement mentality. Gimme my fair share!

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

"....a pot smoker ex-governor...", how does that at all relate to his ability to lead, shape policy, unite the country, etc., etc? The last 3 presidents would've never taken the oath with that complete and utterly, ridiculous nonsense as a prerequisite for POTUS. What does smoking pot "do" that disqualifies one for being president?

That remark in your OP is so transparent and pathetic, I am sure it's lost on you the irony of suggesting as much, when the thread title is "American citizens need to grow up". How about you do so more 'growing up' and come back with some substance and a topic that can be taken seriously after reading the first 60-80 words of your OP? I won't hold my breath that intelligence spontaneously imparts on/visits your grey matter, but in the small chance it does, I'll be more inclined to read more of your posts.

THIS.

I got news for you, OP, there is substantial evidence that the Founding Fathers all smoked pot and furthermore spent a good deal of the time they were planning the Revolution one or two sheets to the wind on strong ale, since water wasn't safe to drink back then unless it was either boiled for tea, or infused with alcohol, and they did most of their meetings in the backrooms of taverns.

As the above quote notes, our last three presidents have smoked pot, they simply lied about it or shirked talking about it. Gary Johnson has been upfront about it and it's been a standard bearer of his stance on liberty - and the utterly failed and corrupt drug war proves him right on this point. Unless you think putting people in cages and ruining their chances at employment for utilizing a simple plant that has been in human use for thousands of years is a good thing...?

Johnson used pot as a painkiller after a very serious hang glider accident. He was flat on his back lying on the floor for months afterwards, and it was the only thing that worked. He was a popular two term governor in New Mexico and understands the 'illegal immigrant' situation better than most because of it. Add in that he's an Ironman Triathlete and has scaled Mt. Everest, in direct contrast to the two wholly unhealthy fatassed psychopaths we spend too much time discussing here.

Here's a very good article written about him in GQ magazine four years ago when he ran for President the first time; why don't you read it and learn something, since I for one am sick and tired of the scamboozles that are the Trump and Clinton candidates:

Is This The Sanest Man Running For President?

You want America to grow up? You first. Put down your flag, your beer, your crowing for a sports team, your NASCAR and fake regional pride, your Buy-Bulls and crosses, your fluoride and your poisoned food and start really thinking for a change. Anyone who would make that throwaway comment about a 'pot smoking ex governor' isn't thinking and isn't a grown up.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

Sorry to offend. No need to be insulting now. It was a rant. I admit my choice of words may have been poor. My point is these are our choices this election. It was my way of being differential. I don't care if anyone smokes pot. It's inconsequential.
Everyone is so damn sensitive these days

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
The OP is not entirely wrong.

But his post is also part of the "culture of outrage" in which we currently live.

And that is an equally worrying trend to anything he mentions.

There are problems in the world. There always will be. But there are also some amazing solutions. Many being implemented even as we speak.

And though a good rant has its place, sometimes it might be better to highlight the fixes than rant about the problems.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: americanbuffalo1
Part of the systemic dysfunction of living in the wealthiest country on earth.

Systemic is right. Trickle down dysfunction brought upon us buy the very wealthy at the top of corporations, banks and the gubment.

The wealth is at the top, the workaday struggle to keep them wealthy.

See what happens when capitalism is unregulated; And the corporate Oligarchy decides social policy in conjunction with almost unlimited political power.

And so the solution is to elect a corporate billionaire CEO to lead us out of this mess?

The irony is delicious.

What a load of crap.
Social programs giving everything to anybody with their hand out caused an entitlement mentality. Gimme my fair share!

Yeah, lets blame it on the poor. Check out who really is the beneficiary of this system.

www.politifact.com...

America is in the business of war...and business is good. The corporate war machine apparently gets their fair share and then some. Your tax dollars at work...

edit on 3-9-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Op I agree with your sentiment, but I guess I don't know what you mean by grow up?

Sounds to me like you just want me to "vote harder".

Really what could we all have done? Aside from an all out revolution?

Sorry I had to get a job. Funny thing is I spent my 20s basically yelling your op at everyone and I couldn't figure out why they didn't want to grab the torches and pitchforks and March on down to townhall with me.
Then I figured out it was because they were trying to work, raise their families and make their immediate reality as good for them as they could.

IMHO, the gears of this world have been in motion for longer than me or my grandparents have been alive . There is only so much an individual can do. And the division game has made sure it stays that way.

Guess what though, if you're lucky you might be able to have a job and raise a family and create your own little micro universe within get this giant messed up one. One you can actually influence , one that might not mean much to others but every thing to you. I guess my point is you can't change THE world, but you can change YOURS. Which is what many of us are trying to do instead of "growing up" .. That ship has sailed.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

It matters not one whit whether the parents are present or not, either. Electronics are convenient babysitters, and parents today use them with impunity.

There you go. If theres a reason why kids never learned to deal with emotions, peer pressure, teasing, its the 'electronic baby sitter'.

But it 'matters not'. Thats right, there no problem, its all a fantasy, in your hood anyway.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

Are you involved with your cities politics? How often do you volunteer your free time to assist charitable organizations in your community?? Do you even know who represents you in your state legislature and not DC??

That is where your efforts and those who support you and you support can start to make a difference.

Anyone who is "just trying to survive" is not planning for the future. If you are planning for the future, than you aren't "just trying to survive", you are involved and making efforts and the OP won't really apply to those people.

Vest way to shift the next generation to be better informed and active is for all parents to encourage the following:
*Enforce a mandatory savings policy for the working offspring still residing in their homes. Some of it needs to be converted to metal, and the rest stays as cash. If the average teenage - 25 year old still at home with parents works at least 25 hours a week, they are brining in between $600-$1000(gross) on a monthly basis. Whatever is left after taxes, a solid ⅓ should go into building their savings. They can help you with bills after the fact if you insist, but a solid ⅓ should come out FIRST from their check to their savings if they want to stay living under your roof. No matter how hard they protest, They will thank you when they are ready to move or upgrade their vehicle.
*Teach your elementary age kids that their is a battle to control their mind, and explain how every behavior emulated in the cartoons they are watching is designed to elicit a specific mental response. Same goes for any other TV shows and movies. They need to KNOW they are being targeted by propaganda since birth. This also means explaining how music has been weaponized since the early nineties towards specific demographics for social engineering as well.

*No matter if the only thing after housing, bills, and food is $75, take $25 right off the top and put it away. The habit has to be consistent and second nature or there will never be a personal fund to draw from when you need it.

theres more but i got to give this baby his bottle.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I look forward ty growing old and authoring a thread just like this one. Every generation hates the next one...

When I was your age...uphill in the snow both ways!

I agree though it's been ongoing and is nothing new it's just more widespread and apparent thanks to the very same Internet we curse those damn millennials for using.

This thread made me smile

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

It's not all our fault we have been poisoned by numerous things on purpose.
Add the clear changes to television and movies to curb and control, subliminals and computer hypnosis.

As of April 2016, a total of 57 studies have investigated the relationship between fluoride and human intelligence, and a total of 38 studies have investigated the relationship fluoride and learning/memory in animals. Of these investigations, 50 of the 57 human studies have found that elevated fluoride exposure is associated with reduced IQ, while 37 of the 39 animal studies have found that fluoride exposure impairs the learning and/or memory capacity of animals. The human studies, which are based on IQ examinations of over 12,000 children, provide compelling evidence that fluoride exposure during the early years of life can damage a child’s developing brain.

fluoridealert.org...

Impact of fluoride on neurological development in children

www.hsph.harvard.edu...

Prozac (which contains fluoride)

www.culturechange.org...

Fluoride’s ability to damage the brain is one of the most active areas of fluoride research today. Over 300 studies have found that fluoride is a neurotoxin (a chemical that can damage the brain).

fluoridealert.org...

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigitalVigilante420
I look forward ty growing old and authoring a thread just like this one. Every generation hates the next one...

When I was your age...uphill in the snow both ways!

I agree though it's been ongoing and is nothing new it's just more widespread and apparent thanks to the very same Internet we curse those damn millennials for using.

This thread made me smile

Anyone who thinks it's all just the same and just another complaint is very unaware in my opinion.
Everything is changing. The planet is changing!

This pattern repeats every 28 months. In the 1960s scientists coined it the
“quasi-biennial oscillation.” The record of these measurements, made by
weather balloons released in the tropics at various points around the globe,
dates to 1953.

The pattern never changed – until late 2015. As the year came to a close,
winds from the west neared the end of their typical descent. The regular
pattern held that weaker easterly winds would soon replace them. But then
the westerlies appeared to move upwards and block the downward movement of
the easterlies. This new pattern held for nearly half a year, and by July
2016 the old regime seemed to resume.

“The quasi-biennial oscillation is the stratosphere’s Old Faithful,” said
Paul Newman, Chief Scientist for Earth Sciences at NASA’s Goddard Space
Flight Center, Greenbelt, Maryland, and lead author on a new paper about the
event published online in Geophysical Research Letters. “If Old Faithful
stopped for a day, you’d begin to wonder about what was happening under the
ground.”

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Great idea,but if you read about these young liberal's looking for hand out's,living at home off mom and dad,who's main concern is there PS4,do you really think they won't be bought out too,I want to stop this BS thats going on,I may be old but I still have young kids and grandkid,but I'm afraid that the masses are too afraid to act,I witnessed the 911 incident and said it was a controlled demolition,all my friends treated me strangely,even a person who was in same buisness,I was told by a Dr I needed to see a psychiatrist,because I know what I saw,so pal good luck,give me a ring when you can get something together because I am not optimistic at this point

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: blend57

teach your kids not to waste their twenties partying. And instead take that decade being serious about real life, always putting away money for their future, to leverage themselves against the fiat system, to recognize the thought control. To not BUY into the consumer lifestyle. To build success with service to our community in mind always. To get involved in their community at the civic level and network with others in their city who have chosen a similar path.

The one recurring behavioral anomaly I have been studying is he wanton across the board waste by several generations of their third decade of existence (the 20's). Our population is taking this most productive decade of our existence, and channeling it into a YOLO experience. Foreigners have realized this, and take advantage of our educational institutions for specialized learning and take it back to their home lands to benefit their communities.
Not enough of our people are doing the same to reproduce the results here at home.

I find myself and most of the most successful, happy and well-adjusted people I know partied hard, and had a solid decade full of life experiences, socialization and relationship building in their 20's (and most of us also worked hard while getting our degrees.) It's a decade to live out your youth AND to set a foundation for your future.

But then, we're salespeople, and that's how we roll. Maybe that's how I ended up being really good at selling anything. I spent my 20's having fun, but I was also developing my personality, my understanding of people, and my drive to succeed, in order to be able to enjoy the experiences life has to offer (as opposed to acquiring things.)

Don't get me wrong, some people have it in them and want to focus on grad school, etc. I'm glad they do, because they hold an important place in society as well. I, however, will never regret, nor forget, my "roaring 20's." While I barely get a chance to have so much as a couple drinks these days, it set the tone for my life.

As a great man once sang:

"While the moon wanes and waxes, death and taxes are lurking out there... Life is Grand, Love is Real, and Beauty is Everywhere!"
-Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, "Better Beautiful than Perfect"

Play on kids.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Is your retirement portfolio doing well? How about the kids trust funds ? And, have you decided on the best way to pass on your wealth to your heirs with the lowest tax burden??

If you got at least one of those down, then your doing well. However, many Americans, even at your level of net worth do not have either of these even in mind, and a significant proportion of them will see the end of their life in ruin or discomfort. The longer one waits to learn the options, execute a strategy, and commit to the goal, the higher the chance that one may risk losing it all in a single burst of rapidly approaching economic bubbles.

Im not saying don't have a good time. Just don't spend five nights a week swiping the card with friends at the bar while discussing the next model of expensive personal technology they will spend big fictional yet to be created money on the one they just bought the week prior. Its one of the most common themes recurring in the current twenties somethings and teenagers as well. It has been the same for at least 3 decades. Sneakers, personal tech, bars, much of it on invisible fake money.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join