It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This CIA-Backed D-Wave Quantum Computer Will Change Your View of Reality Forever

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: VVV88

Yet it's happening right now.

If it's happening right now, that computer would exist OUTSIDE of this reality, plus it's quite possible (based on experiments like the delayed choice quantum eraser) that the only parts being simulated in real-time are the parts being observed.
edit on 4-9-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I posted this video awhile ago and I'm glad it's posted again. Some people just don't realize the power of quantum computing and they can't accept that parallel universes exist. This is because they look at the universe and they want it to conform to what they deem as "common sense."

The universe stopped making sense to our limited minds after Einstein came along. Here's Heisenberg talking about Quantum Mechanics.

“I remember discussions with Bohr which went through many hours till very late at night and ended almost in despair; and when at the end of the discussion I went alone for a walk in the neighbouring park I repeated to myself again and again the question: Can nature possibly be so absurd as it seemed to us in these atomic experiments?”

― Werner Heisenberg

The universe we experience is local and we live in a non local reality. You can't look at our local "reality" and say the universe must conform to our common sense view based on the illusion of localism.

I have been saying for years that D Wave is on the right track and D Wave computers are an important step towards quantum supremacy. It looks like quantum supremacy could be here as early as next year.

Researchers at Google may unveil a truly powerful quantum computer by the end of next year.

While Google itself remains tight-lipped on timings, New Scientist reports that many researchers in the field reckon its team isn’t far from completing perhaps the most advanced quantum device the world has seen. “It’s Google’s to lose,” Simon Devitt, from the Riken Center for Emergent Matter Science in Japan, told the magazine.

It’s no secret that Google is striving to build a quantum computer that can outperform conventional computers—a concept known as quantum supremacy. Having tested—with no small amount of controversy—D-Wave’s quantum computers, the company hired acclaimed physicist John Martinis in 2014 to build its own quantum chips. More recently, it published results which suggested that a powerful quantum computer might be easier to build than was previously thought.

Several scientists familiar with Google’s progress, including Devitt, suggest that a functioning 50-qubit quantum chip, enough to overpower conventional supercomputers at a certain kind of calculation, could be ready by as soon as the end of 2017.

www.technologyreview.com...

Here's a picture of some of what Google assembled.

We're on the verge of a technological singularity where 3D printing, nanotechnology, machine intelligence quantum computing and big data will converge and change everything so fast it will seem like overnight.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Has anyone taken a look at the IBM quantum cloud?

The IBM Quantum Experience

Introducing the world's first cloud-based quantum computer built for and usable by everyone!

quantumexperience.ng.bluemix.net...#/tutorial?sectionId=c59b3710b928891a1420190148a72cce&pageIndex=0

If you're good enough, they'll invite you to upgrade to their "Expert User" level.

I signed up. I need aspirin and a martini some place close by when I'm fooling with this thing.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

change everything so fast it will seem like overnight.

That would seem to be the way of the world.
How long did it take for powered flight? Then, how long to land on the Moon?

Comparatively overnight. No?

July 19, no man on the Moon. The next morning...

edit on 9/5/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
Some people just don't realize the power of quantum computing and they can't accept that parallel universes exist.

While that may be true, complaints about the video in this thread are not motivated by an inability to "realize the power of quantum computing" or refusal to entertain the possibility that "parallel universes exist."

The chief complaint about the video is that the founder of D-Wave states as fact one particular interpretation of quantum mechanics when there are many other viable interpretations (my personal favorite is information theory), all of them at present supported by very little (or no) experimental evidence.

edit on 5-9-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The brain doesn't work in quantum, nor binary, it's biological and chemical, quantum, IMO, is a red herring, you need to get out of the maths.

The universe is more than 0-1 or both, it's organic, sure you can use it to a point to justify things, but being bound by it is the same as our ancestors, can't explain the stars, claim God did it.

This guys claims are BS in the scheme of things, my brain doesn't operate that way, I don't need an answer to accept that there are things my brain can't comprehend and this guy is pedalling the latest religion for those who can't accept.

I admire people pushing boundaries but I'm not sold on quantum computing.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
This is just a regular super computer with a very good cooling abilities. Sales man is pretty bad and I know extra dimensions exist because mathematics proved it like 400 years ago. Any how quantum computer needs 8 bit inputs, anything electric can only provide 2 bit inputs. Quantum computer can only be
made from organic material

Electricity provides 1 for "there is electricity"- yes and 0 for "there is no electricity"- no
Quantum would need
"yes"
"no"
"yes may be"
"may be"
"no may be "
"may be yes may be no"
"no no"
"yes yes"

electricity has
"yes"
"no"

edit on 5-9-2016 by suvorov because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: suvorov

You know there are non-digital computers, right? And have been for a long time. Some use electricity.
www.britannica.com...

edit on 9/5/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers
The D-Wave computer isn't even a quantum computer. It is based purely on the classical model. However, it does leverage quantum tunneling, which is why D-Wave cites "quantum effects" in its operation.

There are electrical components that leverage quantum tunneling, and we certainly do not refer to these as quantum devices.

There are real quantum computers in the world. They are not nearly as functional as the D-Wave because researchers are still figuring out how to make them work.

In fact, there is still significant doubt about whether the quantum effects of the D-Wave even lead to any tangible improvement in computing power. Yes, the D-Wave is very fast at the type of computation for which it was specifically designed, but those benefits do not carry over to standard benchmark tests the way you'd imagine they would.

As it turns out, the D-Wave is the world's best processor for a very specific kind of mathematical calculation, whether it's a quantum computer or not.

As far as the inventor of the D-Wave, he's fond of making outlandish claims, such as his hyperbolic assertion that quantum tunneling has been proven to involve extra-spatial dimensions. Don't even get me started....

I've done a fair amount of research on this thing. Here's a link to the best introductory article I've found on the subject: arstechnica.com...

----

The specific type of operation being done is called "Integer Factoring"
usually used for finding the decryption keys in any type of computer
encryption algorithm based upon AES (Advanced Encryption Standard),
DES (Data Encryption Standard) at low or high bit-depths (128-bit,
256-bits, 768 bits to 2048 and above) which allows the
NSA (National Security Agency) to break and look at
any encrypted communications that use large integer
factors as the basis of the encryption.

There ARE Shor's Algorithm resistant encryption systems
(i.e. Quantum-computing resistant encryption) but
these are NOT YET in widespread use since it seems
that AES-256 is actually still a good-enough encryption
algorithm for commercial and personal use.

The D-WAVE could use the SPEED inherent in
"Quantum Annealing" to combine classical
von Neumann computing architecture
with "Quantum Effects" which lets
sub-atomic spin-states representing
integer values iterate through and
sort themselves out through every
possible state using a theoretical quantum
computing construct called "All-States-at-Once Evaluation"
so that the many Quadrillion+ years it would normally take
to break a 256-bit AES key via brute force methods SHOULD
ONLY TAKE a few seconds on a "Quantum Computer"!

At hundreds of millions of dollars really only LARGE government
agencies can afford this which is WHY the NSA/DARPA invested
big money into D-WAVE so that they can look at Chinese, Russian,
European, etc. encrypted communications in a reasonable time frame.

On a social point, just because you can BREAK someone's encryption
and read their communications DOES NOT MEAN that any intelligence
is actually actionable because the message itself may be time-sensitive
(i.e. useable only for a short period of time) or person-sensitive
(i.e. requires a second/thirty party for context or use) and
may be irrelevant to a current intelligence operation.

So I suggest you "Speak Jive-talk" in all your sensitive communications
and YELL in ALL-CAPS to ensure they act upon EVERYTHING to drain
the intelligence agencies of resources by wasting their time!

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I'm still baffled how fast we came to this hi-tech computer processing, it ain't normal for the time man walked the technological age.

I've read and wrote about it five years ago and these computing systems are closer to confirm the holographic theory and also the multiverse in its totality.

What I know or heard is that these computers can't be moved because of their superposition therein. So again its ions and electrons in superposition communicating between worlds eh?

And if they going to out pass us , and learn, to be honest , even start reading and learning our world they start to understand that we ourselves can't stop our destruction so they're going to find a way of stopping this destruction and probably create a wisdom or rules themselves not to get destroyed.

maybe we are build by quantum computers and are now able to let them into our world again from that other dimension where they are also operating from?

It will raise questions now , but maybe they are here to save us , who knows?

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1
I'm still baffled how fast we came to this hi-tech computer processing, it ain't normal for the time man walked the technological age.

I've read and wrote about it five years ago and these computing systems are closer to confirm the holographic theory and also the multiverse in its totality.

What I know or heard is that these computers can't be moved because of their superposition therein. So again its ions and electrons in superposition communicating between worlds eh?

And if they going to out pass us , and learn, to be honest , even start reading and learning our world they start to understand that we ourselves can't stop our destruction so they're going to find a way of stopping this destruction and probably create a wisdom or rules themselves not to get destroyed.

maybe we are build by quantum computers and are now able to let them into our world again from that other dimension where they are also operating from?

It will raise questions now , but maybe they are here to save us , who knows?

---

You DO NOT need to have a quantum computer
in order for it to surpass human intelligence.

I have a black box that can speak and translate
between twenty languages using a technique
called a "Rule-based Expert System".
It EMULATE human speech uses simple
rules evaluation running in parallel and
running QUICKLY to do voice-to-text
and voice-to-voice translation in
near realtime. Not much hardware
is needed just good software rules
and a large database of language terms
and their context/dictionary equivalencies!

We can also use a technique of adding hardware-based
vision/audio recognition using fuzzy logic/neural net
computing embedded onto 3D STACKED CMOS-based
computer chips.

As a general discussion, a friend's company makes specialty
computing devices where in a 2x2x2 meter 3D cube, over
half-a-billion 64-bit specialty general processing units that
each contains 16 gigabytes of RAM (8,000,000,000 gigabytes
or 8000 Petabytes) and specialty layer-by-layer liquid
cooling where each chip performs at 200 gigaflops giving
him 100,000,000,000 gigaFLOPS (billion of floating point
operations per second which is a measure of computing
horsepower) or 100,000 PetaFLOPS or 100 ExaFLOPS!!!!
(Yes! I know it means it's technically now the fastest
supercomputer in the world by an extremely wide margin...
but my friend ain't telling ANYONE else at the T-500 Supercomputer list!)

There is some large discussion on the HUMAN equivalent
of computer horsepower measurements, there is now some
agreement that ABOUT TWO EXAFLOPS is how much is needed
to EMULATE a human brain's general purpose parallel computation
ability with neural net/fuzzy logic code (i.e. learning software).

So a 100 ExaFLOP computer is computationally equivalent to
50 humans....BUT those 50 "digital humans" could work on
various mental tasks 24/7/365 without any breaks or downtime
IF the code they run is made equivalent to human processing capabilities!

The technique being used is called FUNCTIONAL WHOLE BRAIN EMULATION
which emulates all the FUNCTIONALITY of the COMPONENTS of the human
mind to give us human-level (AND ABOVE) artificial general intelligence.

Another technique being explored is RULES-BASED CHEMICAL SYNAPTIC EMULATION
which emulates the actual molecular/electrical communication and chemical bonding
processes inherent within all types of neural tissue which allows the BASE MEATWARE
of human brains to be truly simulated in or near realtime.

That takes MUCH MORE computing hardware than 100 EXAFLOPS where individual
molecular interactions can be mapped at 10 to the 20th power of molecular states
which means at current computing horsepower rates we are looking at the year
2050 and later for true HUMAN MEATWARE simulation and equivalence.
It's a far more ACCURATE low-level "Hardware Emulation" of the human brain
but will take much longer to develop to a working state than doing a
Functional Component Emulation of the human brain.

The Functional Whole Brain Emulation is a much simpler method of getting
human-like general intelligence and the hardware is technically availalable
RIGHT NOW minus the appropriate still-to-be-developed neural net/fuzzy logic
source code development time (10 years or so?).

edit on 2016/9/5 by StargateSG7 because: sp

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Two very large Quantum computing devices exist today and the video in particular discusses how they work and the reality of parallel universes where data can be retrieved.

Um hmmm.

The reality is there is only one universe, the parts we cant see are not parallel to us, they are all around and through us, everywhere.

We can't perceive them until after we die. Neither can a silicone synapse. Let me know when one of these gets a soul and can die before we talk about retrieving data from the spirit world.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: StargateSG7
The human brain still remains a mystery to this day . its complexity in science still makes small steps finding treatments to solve mental problems occurring in the human brain.

looking at the human brain versus looking at the 3d universe almost seems the show the same structures , like neural nodes, look like galaxy clusters.

Somehow I'm not that nervous that this will overtake humanity , more like an extention to solve problems in various parts of science we now stumble with..

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1
a reply to: StargateSG7
The human brain still remains a mystery to this day . its complexity in science still makes small steps finding treatments to solve mental problems occurring in the human brain.

looking at the human brain versus looking at the 3d universe almost seems the show the same structures , like neural nodes, look like galaxy clusters.

Somehow I'm not that nervous that this will overtake humanity , more like an extention to solve problems in various parts of science we now stumble with..

===

While the human brain's underlying concepts and workings
are still a mystery, getting a FUNCTIONAL equivalent is
really not all that hard.

Today we DO NOT have to replicate all the rods and cones
and nervous tissue to get imaging. We make a CMOS imaging
chip that does that and it usually sees BETTER than the
human eye and a really good CMOS camera these days
is less than a 300 dollars so we have a FUNCTIONAL
equivalent of the human eye via a CMOS camera.

Soooooo......if we EMULATE and COMBINE enough
of the functionality of the human brain's individual
components, we can get to a human level of
artificial reasoning capability in a reasonable time frame.

In MANY cases, simple rules-based evaluation and comparison
is ALL WE NEED for accomplishing many common daily tasks.
It's just that they need to be done QUICKLY and in PARALLEL
in order for the tasks to be useful to "Real Humans".
And rule-based Expert Systems aren't too difficult
to program and use.

A step up above the above technique is
Fuzzy Logic and Spiking Neural Net software
which tries to EMULATE the FUNCTIONALITY
of brain tissue neurons using software constructs.

With a fuzzy-logic system and/or spiking neural network,
we can make YES/NO/MAYBE/SOMETIMES/NOT ALWAYS types
of "Fuzzy-No-Fixed-Answer" decisions using a computer
and get a single answer or a SERIES of acceptable answers
to any given question or task which a human will then
evaluate further.

So again, we don't have to have TRUE artificial intelligence,
just good enough computer-originated intelligence to get
results that are useful and/or acceptable to humans.

This is why IBM's Watson deep-learning computer systems
are so well received in corporate environments because
THEY cheaply and quickly do the "Grunt Work" of digging
and evaluation to give a SERIES of acceptable results and
answers to the human experts who will finally decide
which to use or throw away!

We don't need to make everything that humans are.
We just need to make and combine ENOUGH of the
good human parts in order to get "Almost Intelligent"
computing systems to do work that is useful to us.

edit on 2016/9/5 by StargateSG7 because: sp

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
suvorov:

I know extra dimensions exist because mathematics proved it like 400 years ago.

Mathematics do not prove anything, they provide an abstract foundation on which to conduct investigation and repeatable controlled experimentation which does the proving. Maths is an exercise in abstract thinking, nothing more. Writers use letters (and the odd number) to write their fictional and non-fictional accounts, and strangely enough, mathematicians use letters and numbers to model their abstracted ideas of fictional and non-fictional scenarios (the former part causing no end of grief and amusement in equal measure).

The idea of extra dimensions comes under the fictitious part in my opinion. I should think that the only multi-dimensional aspect of the universe is the spectrum of wavelength vibration. No matter where you are placed in that spectrum, your universe will always be 3-dimensional, with the added abstract (i.e., non-real) dimension of time (being nothing more than the measurement of duration).

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: elysiumfire
suvorov:

I know extra dimensions exist because mathematics proved it like 400 years ago.

Mathematics do not prove anything, they provide an abstract foundation on which to conduct investigation and repeatable controlled experimentation which does the proving.

Yep. You are absolutely correct.

One of the challenges, unfortunately, is that mathematics is way ahead of what is currently testable (and it's been that way for a long time), so we have a lot of "mathematical speculation" which some people mistake for proven fact.

There might be extra spatial dimensions. There might even be parallel universes. But string theory's predictions aren't bearing out thus far, and the many world's interpretation of quantum mechanics has produced nothing testable.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Greggers

But string theory's predictions

Which predictions?

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

But string theory's predictions

Which predictions?

Super symmetry in particular. Although it's a hard beast to kill.

Technically, it's probably not fair to call super symmetry a prediction of string theory, although it it did flow naturally from the mathematics of string theory and is a foundational requirement for many different flavors of string theory.

For example, there is a version of string theory that does not require tachyons and where there are 11 spatial dimensions, but it requires super symmetry.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: elysiumfire

Agreed.. instead this isn't even a question we're posing ourselves or even a discussion we're having.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Allow me to be more specific.
What testable predictions?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join