It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the thread title rules be changed?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Something I've been noticing for a while here (and much more so recently) is that people like to post links to fringe blogs/websites. The problem is, a lot of these websites use very clickbaity names for their articles. ATS has a policy that if you're linking an article, you need to copy the sources title. This in turn leads to ATS, especially the political forums to be filled with a bunch of clickbait titles.

Perhaps it would be worth discussing revisiting that rule? Standards could be made for the title to be descriptive of the thread without requiring such sensationalist headlines being duplicated.
edit on 2-9-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Backdoor attack on Alt-right by obfuscation,much?

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
Something I've been noticing for a while here (and much more so recently) is that people like to post links to fringe blogs/websites. The problem is, a lot of these websites use very clickbaity names for their articles. ATS has a policy that if you're linking an article, you need to copy the sources title. This in turn leads to ATS, especially the political forums to be filled with a bunch of clickbait titles.

Perhaps it would be worth discussing revisiting that rule? Standards could be made for the title to be descriptive of the thread without requiring such sensationalist headlines being duplicated.

I understand your concern... but I think it's far more valuable -- and in keeping with the motto and spirit of ATS -- to continue using such clickbait titles for the purposes of identifying it as such and shining a big fat spotlight on it, thus furthering the denial of ignorance.

I would suggest that ATS may not be the appropriate discussion forum for those not up to that challenge for whatever reason.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I think that rule is only for breaking news forums.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Oh Yay.

Another "let's censor everything" thread.

If a source story is not "accurate", just prove it out.

Simple right?

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Aazadan is clearly talking about ditching titles to articles if you want to because so many of them are clickbait... nothing to do with censoring anything. You're more paranoid than ever.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Hey, we can't even have punctuation in the title anymore...

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Oh Yay.

Simple right?

I didn't say censor the threads, or even that you couldn't use that source. I said, eliminate the rule that people have to copy the article title. If anything, that gives posters more options, not fewer, and plenty of threads have started with the disclaimer that the title isn't accurate, but the information in the article was... yet they were forced to use the poor title.

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
Backdoor attack on Alt-right by obfuscation,much?

How so?

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Oh Yay.

Simple right?

I didn't say censor the threads, or even that you couldn't use that source. I said, eliminate the rule that people have to copy the article title. If anything, that gives posters more options, not fewer.

Yeah and do you think the thread titles our members would come up with would be less clickbait?
Things would get WAY worse.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

What rule is that?

It must be in the T&Cs somewhere right?

In fact most forums have no such "rule".

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

That rule only applies to certain forums I think.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Yeah and do you think the thread titles our members would come up with would be less clickbait?

A fair point, but I think it's worth giving people the opportunity. If posters are prone to making clickbait threads, just ignore the poster... simple. As it currently stands, good posters sometimes have to make poor thread names.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   

A fair point, but I think it's worth giving people the opportunity. If posters are prone to making clickbait threads, just ignore the poster... simple. As it currently stands, good posters sometimes have to make poor thread names.

And what does it look like to the casual reader? The visitor?

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I think it would look the same. People that are happy to post clickbait will continue to, but those who want to avoid it would at least have the option.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

a reply to: intrepid

I think it would look the same. People that are happy to post clickbait will continue to, but those who want to avoid it would at least have the option.

That's my point. Potential new members may just see total crap and walk on by. I see that as a HUGE problem.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
It is only in the Breaking News forums that the thread title is required to match that of the news article which is the subject of the thread.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   

That's my point. Potential new members may just see total crap and walk on by. I see that as a HUGE problem.

The current rules create the same system though because people have to copy those clickbait titles.

Perhaps I'm wrong though, maybe the solution is to just not read the news forums. Then again the thread that made me think of it was this one www.abovetopsecret.com... which isn't in the news forums.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

BREAKING ALTERNATIVE NEWS INSTRUCTIONS

1). All sources must be no older than 36 hours old.

2). The source/article MUST contain an obvious alternative or conspiracy angle. BAN is not for submitting general, political, or 'tabloid shock' news.

3). Copy and paste the EXACT headline as it appears in the original news article. Do not create or sensationalize your titles. Some editorial leeway is allowed, of course, if the original title is too long, inappropriate for ATS, inflammatory, etc.

4). The submission MUST be an actual news piece. Opinions, rants, blog pieces are not considered valid sources.

5). The submission MUST contain a permanent, valid, and direct link. Links that take the reader to the main page of the source site but not the article itself are not permitted. Submissions with broken, expired, or invalid links will be moved or deleted.

6). After providing a snippet from the news source in the news field, use the comment box to add your own spin or opinions on the topic. We want to know what you think. Do not simply copy and paste more from the article or leave a commentary post that boils down to, 'This is crazy! So what does everyone think?' Add your own thoughts and information in order to facilitate discussion to your thread.

I think the rules are plenty clear if people read them. I've bolded a few things that prohibit what concerns you in the Breaking News Forums.

I get what you're saying though, but what you think is wrong may not be what someone with a different opinion thinks is a bad title.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Oh Yay.

Simple right?

Says twenty seven political threads a day...

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
For most of time on ATS... members are allowed to create their own thread titles... BAN forum was the one where thread starts had to utilize source "headline"...

Kinda funny, especially these days when those same sources are coming up with some of the most biased headline news articles...

I find comfort from the ATS T&C's... Folks who have differing opinions, can create their own content, to include "thread titles", and the MEMBERS get to make up their own mind on the material presented...

I kinda like that freedom of thought...... YMMV

top topics

<<   2 >>

join