It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Lets have an honest talk about Religion

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
personally, i believe there should be a new religion that is based on things we can understand easier.

But i respect most of the teachings of most religions, if it sounds or makes me feel like its evil i dont like it.

Do you think that evil is natural and that good and evil are two sides to the same coin?
or could there be an untold story scientifically behind the nature of good and evil.

I ask this because each religion has done what another one would consider evil. just as each person has done something someone else would consider evil.

Do you believe that there is a higher power controlling or behind the scenes of the events of earth or judges them with higher authority?
whats the point of living if religion doesnt matter?

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Belcastro

I believe in a Prime Mover or God, but I don't believe in sin or judgement. I believe Earth is a classroom in which we learn to better ourselves and the only judge is ourselves.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I believe in a Prime Mover or God, but I don't believe in sin or judgement. I believe Earth is a classroom in which we learn to better ourselves and the only judge is ourselves.

if you didnt believe in sin or judgement, how would you feel if you had a wicked attraction and deathf**** people at snuff partys like the elites might do. wouldnt you want some higher power to have the authority to say what is or isnt ok, and if your allowed to judge yourself would you be allowed to judge others? as in if someone else did a messed up thing like SAW would you judge them as if u were god or would you harden your heart?

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

There is your first problem..you wish for a new religion...I don't subscribe to religion as much as I use to..I have moments of hope that their might be a god but I'm quite doubtful that there is.

Not sure how one can legitimize a religion that is created by man..that too me is just story telling and cautionary tales.

I'm getting older and what I've realized is that given all the things going on in this world one thing is true..people are just as barbaric as crocodile taking down some large 4 legged animal.

Some people just need something to keep them on the straight and narrow but it can only last so long until some animal urge pops into there head.

I still question where the bible requires a Pope to run the churches or where it says in the bible that churches must be erected in order to honor Jesus...I also question where it states that children must go through confirmation..I've never read it from front to back and CCD was such a long time ago who could remember..

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
i like the teachings of sri krishna, jesus, and buddha.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I find everything I dislike is inherently evil, and everything I like is good and godly.

my sexual preference..any variation is evil
my values on when to kill
my views on animals
my views on what to question and what should remain unquestionable
etc....
I should write a book on this..because to me its obvious what is and isn't evil...and anyone who says otherwise is most likely evil..and evil people should be slain.

Religion

in a million years, the stones wont remember humanity

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

There is your first problem..you wish for a new religion...I don't subscribe to religion as much as I use to..I have moments of hope that their might be a god but I'm quite doubtful that there is.

Not sure how one can legitimize a religion that is created by man..that too me is just story telling and cautionary tales.

I'm getting older and what I've realized is that given all the things going on in this world one thing is true..people are just as barbaric as crocodile taking down some large 4 legged animal.

Some people just need something to keep them on the straight and narrow but it can only last so long until some animal urge pops into there head.

I still question where the bible requires a Pope to run the churches or where it says in the bible that churches must be erected in order to honor Jesus...I also question where it states that children must go through confirmation..I've never read it from front to back and CCD was such a long time ago who could remember..

whell i believe there should be a religious movement in the present day and for example if christianity was ultimate truth then there would be modern day prophets who can interpret dreams and foretell the future.

like i know there is an old testament, and a new testament which supposedly ends the bible. but i wish there was a final testament based on miracles and god interacting with humans in the modern era.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Belcastro
if you didnt believe in sin or judgement, how would you feel if you had a wicked attraction and deathf**** people at snuff partys like the elites might do. wouldnt you want some higher power to have the authority to say what is or isnt ok, and if your allowed to judge yourself would you be allowed to judge others? as in if someone else did a messed up thing like SAW would you judge them as if u were god or would you harden your heart?

wouldn't you want a magic sky ghost to zot anyone who weirded me out or offended me?

wanting is not fact. I want to have superpowers..doesn't mean I have them.
Just think how fulfilled you are when you decry evil and measure yourself by those standards, then feel super awesome because you aren't them...without their wickedness, you wouldn't feel soo rightous..parasitical relationship.

If you simply felt pity for them for having no remorse or self reflection, and also a understanding that we need a legal framework to stop sociopaths from doing harm to society, then, in my opinion, you are more "godly" than someone wanting a cloud wizard to smite the evilness.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

whats the point of living if religion doesn't matter?

Religion was invented to misguide us.

Everyone has a soul, thats where we discern what the right thing to do is. Most of that is easy. You probably already know its wrong to kill, steal, hate, etc.

Easy enough?

What matters in the long run is how we behave towards others.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

whats the point of living if religion doesn't matter?

Religion was invented to misguide us.

Everyone has a soul, thats where we discern what the right thing to do is. Most of that is easy. You probably already know its wrong to kill, steal, hate, etc.

Easy enough?

What matters in the long run is how we behave towards others.

I don't think religion was made to misguide but to in fact guide us to morally appropriate behaviors..I think it was simply scare tactics for adults and children..

We believed in witchcraft in the dark ages..we all know how witches turned out..

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

I don't think religion was made to misguide but to in fact guide us to morally appropriate behaviors..

Or else?

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
I find everything I dislike is inherently evil, and everything I like is good and godly.

my sexual preference..any variation is evil
my values on when to kill
my views on animals
my views on what to question and what should remain unquestionable
etc....
I should write a book on this..because to me its obvious what is and isn't evil...and anyone who says otherwise is most likely evil..and evil people should be slain.

Religion

in a million years, the stones wont remember humanity

I though you were serious. Now I am not so sure. Sarcasm?

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
First off find some "honest " Christians, muslims, jews, hindus, buddist's< etc etc & we can begin.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Interesting thought.

How can you better yourself if there is no object standard by which to measure? How can you know if you have indeed "bettered yoursefl" if there is no one to judge but yourself and therefore no stndard but your own?

It seems to me that it would either be way too easy to achieve betterment or you never would by any meaningful amount because your standard would be unrecognizable or unrecognized by any other person out there.

Not to mention, such a belief would create chaos ultimately. For some, the standard might be: Today I have killed no one while yesterday, I killed someone. I have improved. But for someone else it might be: Today I only killed several thousand while yesterday, I murdered over one-hundred thousand. I have slipped and failed to improve!

By whose measure do we see improvement or failure?

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Life. Experiences.

I really don't understand the question 😕

To live is to have life, to be, to think, to experience, to have curiosity, to question, to learn.
To enjoy, to feel.

There's a lot of points to living.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Im gonna go Trekkie on this and apply Prime directive.. When a culture is mature enough to understand the quote;"Both sides of the coin" instead of thinking in moral aspects;" Believing we are good.."

Evil or good is based on your culture, if a culture cant understand that there is no difference,then there is no purpose of changing any dogma if it fails with the basic principles of society and humanity..

Its just a belief..

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I'm an Independent Fundamental Baptist. So I believe in things like Sola Scriptura, Salvation by grace through faith, Eternal security of the believer, etc.

I trust the Bible more than I trust my own reasoning. As it says in Proverbs 14:12 "There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death."

In all honesty I believe your point of view towards religion is the kind of thing necessary to usher in the one world religion found in Revelation.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Do you think that evil is natural and that good and evil are two sides to the same coin?
or could there be an untold story scientifically behind the nature of good and evil.

No, good and evil do have explicit differences and are not at all two sides of the same coin. I think the confusion most have is when they conflate "light and dark" with "good and evil". Light is not married to good, nor dark to evil. So I think this is where most fall into the trap of trusting nice and shiny evil while rejecting unpolished good.

Do you believe that there is a higher power controlling or behind the scenes of the events of earth or judges them with higher authority?

Several. Not controlling, though; influencing.

Experiencing the universe. If a person doesn't think that's worth it for a species to go on living, I don't know what else to say. All I know is that, if I were an atheist, I would still have a great sense of purpose to my life and a similar moral compass as I do now.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Isnt everything you said ideals? I could put Harry Potter on Display and say it makes sense with ideals

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

If you really think about it, most of the things that fall under what we think of as evil also could be described as complete selfishness with utter disregard for anyone else. And there are many things that fall inside that category that are in a sense mighty "good" for you interms of self-gratification, but when you take the total picture into account, they are not necessarily the wisest in terms of others, even your relationship with others.

But good in terms of easy self-grtification can be very shiny and convincing, and in a sense, it could be said that we live in a society and culture that encourages people to take that shinyevil view - short term, selfish, self0-gratification view.
edit on 2-9-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join