It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook's "Safety Check" Thinks I'm in Philippines?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
This isn't the first time this has happened. It also happened when there was an earthquake in Nepal, and some other disaster event in the past 6 months.

Facebook's "Safety Check" feature asks "Are you OK? It looks like you're in the area affected by [insert disaster scenario here] in [insert city/state/country here]. Let friends know that you're safe."

Today, it was for The Explosion in Davao City, Philippines ( link to news source )

My first concern is if there is somebody using my identity, even if it's just my stupid FaceBook, in other places. I don't use a Subnet mask or anything else like that, and I wasn't able to successfully find any answers going through Facebook either.

Does anybody else have insights on this issue?
edit on 2-9-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Check out the security settings. You can add an authenticator to your login to further protect yourself. And there's also a way to see where your account has been logged in, and you can basically unauthorize anyone that's using your account that's not you, if this is the case.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Abinkadoo

I'm going to check this out now - thanks for the thought

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
LOL!
Reading this:

"Are you OK? It looks like you're in the area affected by [insert disaster scenario here] in [insert city/state/country here]. Let friends know that you're safe."

while you maybe are buried by debris, your bones are broken by the rubble, will make you love facebook, i bet

Such a nonsense, if i need facebook to mention a desaster that happens around me, then my life is nothing worth anymore, anyway.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

I think it's meant to be a feature used by those unaffected by disasters, since even when I tried to answer the dialogue box it only had the options of "I am okay", or "I'm not in the area".

It's supposed to be a quick and easy way to let your FB friends know you were NOT buried under rubble
it is kind of comical the way you put it though.

My concern is if some scam artists are using my profile or personal information (in the Philippines of all places) for their benefit, at my expense.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I got the same notice except I am in Davao City right now about 2 km from the explosion. Didn't know about the attack until I gotntge FB notice.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BoxFulder

Glad to hear you're okay!

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Eh...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I remember seeing your thread earlier today... And the newest thread rift now is a break explosion In Daevo?

Wtf.

I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to time zones... But did you post This before the explosion actually happens? Because that would be whack, yo.
reply to: FamCore

edit on 2-9-2016 by SteamyJeans because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

I've found that the timestamp on my posts is like an hour off or something, maybe that explains it?

ETA: I'm in New England, Northeastern U.S. and the photo from my Phone had the accurate Eastern Time on it
edit on 6-9-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join