It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advantages of Using a Persona Online

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   
There are advantages to using a persona online.

1. If people reject you it means nothing because it wasn't the real you. It causes you no pain at all.

2. You can be comfortable doing things in public that you would never do if it were your true self. For instance, I would never tell strangers a lot of the things I write on this forum in real life. However, as a persona, I have no problem doing it.

3. You can create new aspects to your personality. For example, I would never try to be disliked in real life. But, I often try to be disliked as a persona online. Why? Being disliked gets me what I want, better feedback.

4. You can make yourself seem pitiful or unlikable or whatever you want. If you were just being yourself all the time, that wouldn't be possible.

5. You can misrepresent the truth about yourself without concern for morality or ethics. If you're just a persona, you can be fake if you want to be.

6. You can protect your identity better. Some people claim to go to the extreme of never writing in the same style twice.

7. It gives you an emotional buffer between your online persona(s) and your true self.

8. You can role play as almost anything you want. Not only is that fun, it can be enlightening.

I've been using online personas for over 10 years. I wouldn't post here without one. I don't know why people want to call that "negative" when you consider all the advantages listed above.
edit on 2-9-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

But here you were explaining to me how online emotions are the same as in real life...

Now you're saying they're not.

Is that because 'your persona' is not congruent? If so that's an easy get out clause for talking BS.
edit on 2-9-2016 by and14263 because: MB again

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Keeping you bulls*** straight is not easy. Better to just be upfront with people.

edit on 2-9-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I appreciate the honesty of this post. You make good points.

But for me; who I am here is who I am in real life. Juggling the "lies" of misrepresenting myself as a "persona" would be too much work. I probably couldn't keep my stories straight.

It's easier to just be me.

I have no problem if someone disagrees here or in real life. I also don't want to intentionally hurt feelings or stir the pot just for my own amusement here or in real life. So many advantages you point out don't seem like a big deal to me.

I don't give my real name here, I use a screen name. I am vague about where I live too. But that is about the only things I do differently online.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

But here you were explaining to me how online emotions are the same as in real life...

Is that because 'your persona' is not congruent? If so that's an easy get out clause for talking BS.

In that thread, I was talking about my emotions for others. I can't speak about anyone else's emotions. The emotions I feel for others (when acting as a persona) have nothing to do with the original post. Point #1 in the original post only deals with the special case of rejection. Rejection doesn't necessarily have any emotion attached to it even in real life. In my personal experience, if someone rejects my persona it doesn't bother me. Point #7 is about an emotional buffer. Buffer means "lessen or moderate the impact of (something)", that doesn't change the actual thing itself.

Nice red herring.

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: and14263

Keeping you bulls*** straight is not easy.

There doesn't have to be "bulls***" when acting as a persona. You're ignoring all the other benefits that have nothing to do with that.
edit on 2-9-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Interesting concept.

For me, I am simply unable to interact with people on a "normal" level. So your actions within this forum I need to apply to every day life in order to be socially acceptable.

different persona's for different situations, but all with underlying truth to some degree. It's not so much that I'm lying about anything, I find the truth far more fascinating and impacting than an unsubstantiated lie, but simply needing to mimic what I've observed in other humans in order to not show the true monster within

mwhahahahaha

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I don't do fake. What ya see is what ya get and I'm no different in person than online. I don't do "go along to get along". I'm honest, straight forward and stand up for what I believe. If someone doesn't like that, tough. I don't ask for approval, my opinions are my own and that's just the way it is.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
There doesn't have to be "bulls***" when acting as a persona. You're ignoring all the other benefits that have nothing to do with that.

If you see 'benefits' to pretending to be someone else that's your bag, I just see a bulls*** storyline that needs to be kept straight.

edit on 2-9-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
All the best trolls use them.

This is probably why I usually don't click your threads.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   

I'm obviously completely wrong then, clearly.

Thread on.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
All the best trolls use them.

This is probably why I usually don't click your threads.

Your mouse would be worn out if you clicked all of his threads.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   

I lived an entire adolescence and beginning adulthood playing a persona for personal safety and conformity.

I'll be damned if I do that ever again. Not offline, online, for my own benefit, nor for the fulfillment of some boxed up persona we are supposed to emulate.

All y'all get me as I am. I like to imagine most of you do me the same courtesy.
edit on 2-9-2016 by Abysha because: Spellinz

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Me has bananas. Hu hu hu!

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

While I think you're absolutely correct, I personally cannot be anything other than myself for long. That's why I chose a persona that meshes with who I am. I chose a persona that is well-known. So that is helpful for connecting with others. But I don't try to act like the persona I chose for a username. That's the beauty of it. I simply use images of the character. I think it is all based on what you're looking to get out of this.

I, too, have had many names online. But I've always just been me. I find that I have an advantage over people who adhere to their fake personas--they inherently lack integrity. So, while your advantages are real to some extent, in the end, you render online interaction pointless by faking it. Just a thought.

I have reasons for what I do. And even though I put myself at risk of getting hurt, I believe that there's no reward without risk. If you're just role-playing, you must mess up from time to time. So, why not just be yourself? Be brave!
edit on 2-9-2016 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

I often try to be disliked as a persona online

Oh. Now the thread with which you weave is coming into focus for me.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I don't use my name on ATS, but everything i post/say is me, wether it's something funny or bluntly honest, no more or less.

I get your point on using personas, but it's lie's and not real world stuff, it's whatever you make your persona/split personality say..

Thank it's all about confidence, if you need a persona(s) then your hiding something from yourself or from the world?...If you just be yourself then you will get on with people easier and have real life stories rather than (white lie's), people will always like or dislike a person for whatever reason,, be yourself dude don't hide.
edit on 2-9-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

The OP only ever makes threads to collect data, you should not get stressed about anything they say.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
All the good personas were taken!

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Oh, what a tangled web we weave: When first we practise to deceive!

if youre honest and follow the rules you never have to worry about anything.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Don't believe everything that you read. You'll get a parking violation and a maggot on your sleeve.

new topics

top topics

join