It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How far back does recorded history officially go?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Hey guys, I was wondering: how far back does recorded history officially go? I realize that archaeologists and historians use all sorts of different chronological timelines, although I think I remember reading a short while back about them finally deciding on the "middle chronology" being the correct one. But is there a date which is considered the "beginning" of recorded history? I remember reading a long while back that the "cradle of civilization" was located in the Fertile Crescent (at Sumer), but the earliest known historical document from Sumer seems to be the Stele of the Vultures which dates back to roughly around 2600 BCE, while the earliest known historical document from Egypt seems to be the Narmer Palette which dates back to roughly around 3100 BCE. But then again it seems that the Narmer Palette doesn't seem to contain any "true writing" but instead contains "proto-writing", so that could make the Narmer Palette more "proto-historic" (somewhere in between Egypt's pre-history and history.)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Quasiscientist

I don't know the answer but I read once that 99% of all human history has been lost to us. And that's not including that most of the history we *do* have was written by the victors of wars and survivors of plagues and therefore is inaccurate.

I just want to know before I die how on Earth the Egyptians could have built the pyramids 4000 years ago, if they can't now. Ditto on all the other megalithic sites, too.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

And that's not including that most of the history we *do* have was written by the victors of wars and survivors of plagues and therefore is inaccurate.

Especially the victors narrative. The official story line is written to support the current agenda. That would be their main stream agenda reproduced sufficiently in stone or scrolls, whatever to survive till today. The truth being buried with the truth sayers and whistle blowers.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: SentientCentenarian
I just want to know before I die how on Earth the Egyptians could have built the pyramids 4000 years ago, if they can't now. Ditto on all the other megalithic sites, too.

ha ha ha ha ha - I really hope someone comes along and tries to answer you.

The record ran out some ways back. As 'they' continue to dig (gobekli tape) more of the consensus science lie is exposed. I just wish there could be a stupid rush and a serious admission that 'Guesswork Scientists' have been proven profoundly wrong.

edit on 192016 by Snarl because: emphasis

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
As far back as Cave Paintings...

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
As 'they' continue to dig (gobekli tape) more of the consensus science lie is exposed.

And what "lie" would that be?
edit on 9/1/2016 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   

The record ran out some ways back. As 'they' continue to dig (gobekli tape) more of the consensus science lie is exposed. I just wish there could be a stupid rush and a serious admission that guesswork scientists have been proven profoundly wrong.

Wouldn't Gobekli Tepe be considered part of pre-history since no examples of writing have been discovered at the site?

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

You are aware that the basis of science is that what you know today may be wrong tomorrow. That is accepted, and even encouraged by a true scientist. Science and knowledge is constantly in motion. Books are a snapshot in time...no more no less. Problems arise when $$$ gets involved in keeping the status quo even after actual experimental evidence is found to the contrary. Science, true science, is slow to change, but will change given proof.

edit on 9/1/2016 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Officially right now that would be about 3,500 BCE, attributed to both the Ancient Egyptians and the Sumerians of Mesopotamia.

That's "recorded history" as in languages that modern day historians can read.

There was an ancient civilization somewhere in western India that had writing, but who were wiped out (by plague they think), but no one can understand their writing.....and I can't for the life of me remember what they were called. I want to say it started with an "I". This was something from one of my son's text books about ancient history.

Things prior to this are called Pre-History, to to the lack of written language that historians can read.

YMMV

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

As 'they' continue to dig (gobekli tape) more of the consensus science lie is exposed.

And what "lie" would that be?

Uhhh ... the one that says your degree is worth the sheepskin it was printed on.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quasiscientist

The record ran out some ways back. As 'they' continue to dig (gobekli tape) more of the consensus science lie is exposed. I just wish there could be a stupid rush and a serious admission that guesswork scientists have been proven profoundly wrong.

Wouldn't Gobekli Tepe be considered part of pre-history since no examples of writing have been discovered at the site?

Gobekli Tepe is merely proof that 'they' got it wrong. The thing that should come before the question mark: What ALL have they gotten wrong and why should we believe anything written in the history books?

When I went to school things that were taught were preposterously wrong. Just shameful. And what was worse, was the parroting and 'buying in' for superior grades.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   

No one can accurately date any writing, even if the writing is of a date. No one completely agrees on how time is measured. Science and Scripture do not mix well concerning the question of when.

Written recorded history doesn't excite me. Use of fire and tools are far more intriguing to me. We don't even know what we are looking for as far as early forms of writing, or what tangible object it would be on, in, etc. Irrigation and Agriculture are amazing, and surely indicative of communication, no?

I am really interested in genetic decoding, sequencing and our junk DNA. We have all the recorded history we need in our genetic code. That's recorded history.

edit on 1-9-2016 by Boscov because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
There is no officially anything that you can trust.

Believe nothing of what they tell you about our history. Believe nothing about what they tell you about how the universe works or science.

You have to take it into your own hands and start deciphering the code in order to understand what I'm talking about.

Its taken me over ten years at least to figure this out.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Is the answer The Indus Valley Civilisation???

The Indus Valley Civilisation (IVC) was a Bronze Age civilisation (3300–1300 BCE; mature period 2600–1900 BCE) mainly in the northwestern regions of South Asia, extending from what today is northeast Afghanistan to Pakistan and northwes India.[2] Along with ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia it was one of three early civilisations of the Old World, and of the three, the most widespread.[3] It flourished in the basins of the Indus River, which flows through the length of Pakistan, and along a system of perennial, mostly monsoon-fed, rivers that once coursed in the vicinity of the seasonal Ghaggar-Hakra river in northwest India and eastern Pakistan.[4][5][6] Aridification of this region during the 3rd millennium BCE may have been the initial spur for the urbanisation associated with the civilisation, but eventually also reduced the water supply enough to cause the civilisation's demise, and to scatter its population eastward

How about the nuclear wars from 5000 years ago?

Man there sure is a lot of information on this board. Its almost as filled as google!

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

How can you be so sure it was 5000 years ago?

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkmadness

Im just going by the alleged timeline of that story in a book. I suppose it is as credible as the Bible, whatever that is worth.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I guess that would depend on your perspective of what's really going on then?

Tough to put your finger on it I'll tell you that.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SentientCentenarian

ha ha ha ha ha - I really hope someone comes along and tries to answer you.

The record ran out some ways back. As 'they' continue to dig (gobekli tape) more of the consensus science lie is exposed. I just wish there could be a stupid rush and a serious admission that 'Guesswork Scientists' have been proven profoundly wrong.

Reading Chesterton's The Everlasting Man right now. What a book!

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
The recent 'end of world' due to the Mayan calendar had a lot of numbers with its long count going around. 26 000 years is one cycle I remember hearing about at the time, with others extending into 100 000's of years.

When tying to define 'how long ago', the history of calendars will help.

Some rock carvings have also withstood the test of time.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Darkmadness
There is no officially anything that you can trust.

Believe nothing of what they tell you about our history. Believe nothing about what they tell you about how the universe works or science.

You have to take it into your own hands and start deciphering the code in order to understand what I'm talking about.

Its taken me over ten years at least to figure this out.

Believe it or not, all will be answered between lives. It's the remembering once you reincarnate that's the trick.

Just remember my motto - Next time, No Planet Earth, no matter what the brochures say!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join