It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With 90 Homicides, August Was Chicago’s Bloodiest Month In 20 Years

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
I was actually just reading this on CNN. Something like 90 people got shot last week.

There are a lot of maimed and disfigured people, mostly African American, on the South and West sides of Chicago. You can't drive down one of the streets there, or go into a store without seeing people in wheel chairs, using walking canes, or some body part with old wounds. For every 1 person killed, 8 were shot, but live. I think it's because a majority of the shootings are "drive-by".. like in the old gangster movies. A lot of unintended targets are hit. Relatively few are like you see on TV where a shooter stands in front of someone and blasts them.

I had to hold my wife's head down and drive quickly through cross-fire a few years ago. Naked guy running with some guys shooting at him.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Another reason, is that trauma (medical) care has improved substantially.

Even police officers are training in basic combat casualty care like applying tourniquets, packing bullet wounds, etc.

If it weren't for these advancements the murder rate would be much higher.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
ESPN has a roundtable in Chi last week. I watched most of it. There was this one liberal professor suggesting essentially all the violence in Chi is due to socioeconomic issues and we should be surprised there aren't more shootings and killings.

I couldn't believe how asinine of an argument this guy was making. Sure, that plays a part. But here's the problem with his logic and liberal logic on this issue.

I've spent a fair amount of time in parts of Eastern Europe where people have very little. They don't go around shooting each other. I've been to poorer parts of Russia. They don't go around shooting each other. I've been to poor part of Mexico. They don't go around shooting each other. The cartels will behead you but it's not citizen on citizen violence. I've been to many Chinatowns both in the US and abroad. Some have some real poverty, many barely making ends meet. They don't go around shooting each other. Grew up on the East Coast and had friends in poor Irish and Russian neighborhoods. They don't go around shooting each other.

The left here will have you believe poverty equates to murder. It's ridiculous. Theres many, many cities and countries across the world where people have a little or less than some of these areas in Chi yet they aren't shooting one another as if it's a hobby.

There's one demographic which for some reason has no respect for one another and won't hesitate to kill their own. There isn't another demographic globally where they feel their own mean so little, where they'll kill you for a pair of shoes, for wearing the wrong color shirt or hat, for walking down the wrong street, etc, with the shocking regularity we see.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I'll take a stab at that question.

Both Benghazi and Chicago were "organized" by the same nobel peace prize winning community organizer?

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

Only poor black people are shooting each other.
Poverty is not the reason, it's the excuse.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: intrptr

They won't bring out the military.

Then it would be apparent that certain political policies failed.

Maybe they don't squash the gangs and drugs because they want it to proliferate?
edit on 1-9-2016 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   
its not like these people are being forced to kill each other.

better there than here.

they dont actually have to kill each other.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

You just encapsulated the program!

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
Is it a coincidence that Democrats run the most violent cities in America? Serious question.
Yes, seeing as how most major cities tend Democrat.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   

A NEW Phoenix program!
2/75 would STILL be the best choice BAR NONE.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

A NEW Phoenix program!
2/75 would STILL be the best choice BAR NONE.

Phoenix in Vietnam was a disaster.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

We can improve on the model.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

We can improve on the model.

No, pretty much Phoenix was used by local corrupt politicians and business men to wipe out their competition. Even some disgruntled wives tales as I recall. Your husband cheating on you? Call Phoenix hot line and denounce him as VC.

You want to confiscate your neighbors property, call Phoenix. No questions asked.

Thats why they discontinued it.

Imagine a 911 number to get rid of your neighborhood gangster competition for drug turf. It would be ringing off the hook.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Never heard that.
CIA ran it so ,could be ,WE'LL let the PROFESSIONALS handle it JSOC.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Never heard that.
CIA ran it so ,could be ,WE'LL let the PROFESSIONALS handle it JSOC.

FYI, its been a long time since the US 'won'.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Get the politicians out of our way to do it .

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

90 murders in a month...A MONTH!!! Think about that man, damn! 3 people a day murdered...not even frikkin Aleppo!

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Get the politicians out of our way to do it .

The problem isn't 'politicians'. The problem lies wth expecting people of other countries to accept occupation and subjugation.

Would yuuu?

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

It really isn't just kill more.
We suck at it.
I am waiting for YOURS to give it a shot.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
Is it a coincidence that Democrats run the most violent cities in America? Serious question.

Cause and effect.

Democrats run the most violent cities because the most violent cities tend to be fully urbanized ghettos. Or, rather, have large amounts of urbanized ghettos. Its the core constituency. Add to that people who see the result of ghetto rot (homelessness and hopelessness) and cast votes for the DNC for humanitarian reasons.

The Democrats, and Republicans for that matter, have developed their narratives in response to the environment, not the opposite. Its a "problem-solution" deal. The real rub is that its an unwinnable scenario. For one, being poor is miserable so illicit trade thrives. Bad decisions thrive in response, as well. Everyone is looking for that 5 minutes of pleasure or power to promote just the smallest piece of self worth. Because they are ground to a nub, and know that it won't be better tomorrow.

And the search for relief from this misery will end up putting many of these urban ghetto dwellers at odds with the law.

This has little to do with the "Democrats". I mean, sure...problem-solution....its the hammers fault you knocked the hole in the wall, right? So there's that. But the problem is the system itself. The system that allows vast swaths of Chicago to feel hopelessness and poverty, which includes foreign trade policies. The Democrats are just a solution put in place by the people who have a problem.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join