It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's the economic reality of the crackdown on undocumented workers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

What for? Did you not take American History in junior high school?

Believe what I say or not. I don't care. Look it up yourself if you need research.
edit on 2016-09-01T17:48:53-05:0005pmThu, 01 Sep 2016 17:48:53 -0500ThursdayAmerica/Chicago5330 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
It's called market correction.

What else did you expect?

The wages for picking food will go up until they are replaced by machines we will pay more for food and the economy will get healthier overall.

Big deal.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

For starters, why should americans work when they can earn more sitting on their arses. They are probably receiving more in government assistance than they can earn in the field.
a reply to: CharlesT

A little more insight (proof) into why you say this would be appreciated.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Tell you what, you prove me wrong and I will accept your research findings. Go for it.

www.ssa.gov...

Maximum Federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payment amounts increase with the cost-of-living increases that apply to Social Security benefits. This year there is no COLA, so there will be no increase in SSI payment amounts in 2016. The monthly maximum Federal amounts for 2016 are $733 for an eligible individual and $1,100 for an eligible individual with an eligible spouse.

www.foodstamps.org...

Have you ever kept close tabs on how much you spend each month for groceries? Or do you at least have a rough idea of what that figure is? For the millions of people on Food stamps, they know the dollar amount right down to the penny. That&amp;rsquo;s because food stamps recipients get a set amount each month that rarely changes, and they&amp;rsquo;re painfully aware of just how short it falls each month. Between 2008 and 2012, recipients may have noticed an increase, however slight it was. In fact, in that four-year period, the average amount of SNAP benefits allotted to an individual increased 30%, from $102.19 to $133.42.
SNAP benefits allotted to an individual increased 30%, from $102.19 to $133.42.
SNAP benefits allotted to an individual increased 30%, from $102.19 to $133.42.

For starters. You want more, you get it.

edit on 2016-09-01T17:59:16-05:0005pmThu, 01 Sep 2016 17:59:16 -0500ThursdayAmerica/Chicago1630 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

your statements, not mine.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

This same thing happened, when we abolished slavery, farmers didnt want to pay proper wages then either

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

You go back to my previous post for a little information and here is a little more for your inquiring mind.

portal.hud.gov.../topics/rental_assistance

Knock yourself out with this link dude.

www.benefits.gov...
edit on 2016-09-01T18:09:53-05:0006pmThu, 01 Sep 2016 18:09:53 -0500ThursdayAmerica/Chicago5330 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: DelMarvel

So they are 'undocumented' workers and not illegals because that would be an inconvenient fact.

The bottom line is I will pay more for food to create higher paying jobs for Americans that are here legally than support a criminal illegal alien industry that exploits workers and creates low wages.

What will you do about the people who can't afford to pay more for food? Food stamps have already massively expanded, if the price of food starts rising significantly SNAP will also need more funds.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Is this the new topic for the next month or something? Did some all-powerful hand just wave around the public issuing some jedi-mind funk to release all the prior must-talk-about nonsense and throw this one front and center?

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
And all the poor communities are going to be rocked without their fruits and vegetables. They can't afford that stuff anyway so who cares. Let it rot. The free market will take over without illegals. People will buy it in the same capacity as before. Nothing will change. People that can afford it will pay more but there is a limit. Let the free market determine that price without illegals. The main thing left out of this stance is 60% of illegals get some form of welfare. That could be going to legal citizens. Effin stupid to cry over rotting fruit. Our own legal citizens are getting screwed.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
Is this the new topic for the next month or something? Did some all-powerful hand just wave around the public issuing some jedi-mind funk to release all the prior must-talk-about nonsense and throw this one front and center?

It's a more interesting topic than emails.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Fair enough, but yea... that and Hillary's health will magically be forgotten all the sudden. I don't understand, and yet I do. People can only hold so many topics in mind at one period of time. It's disturbing, because you can tell just how easily this simple mindedness can be steered in a given direction (or none at all).

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Is it because of America's history that we are hung up on the idea that field work equals slavery? There's no other reason not to pay workers real wages and treat them with respect.

I live in a rural area of an Asian country. Fifteen minutes out of the city there's nothing but fields, whether veggies, rice, tea, etc. All those fields are worked by little old men and little old ladies, for the reason that it's the best work for them. They get to hang with each other outside all day, and pick stuff. They love it and live past 100.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

Sorry, the free market will be allowed only to lower wages and benefits. This whole thing is to maximize profit and externalize traditional responsibilities that companies used to take care of (pension medical).

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: MoreInterior
Is it because of America's history that we are hung up on the idea that field work equals slavery? There's no other reason not to pay workers real wages and treat them with respect.

We're hung up on it because American's don't like to do hot, dirty work. Never have.

A lot of people also feel they shouldn't have to, that they're above it. I'm not sure I disagree with that point either. You wouldn't get me in a field picking food for even $50/hour. Why would I choose to do a job that will give me skin cancer and beat up my body, when I can instead work in an air conditioned office and make just as much while not being left dead/decrepit in the process?

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

It's called transferring the external financial burden away from the industry and onto the backs of the taxpayer. Kind of like external costs incurred by the energy industry transferred to the taxpayer in dealing with spills, hazard removal public health issues, etc, etc.
edit on 2016-09-01T19:50:06-05:0007pmThu, 01 Sep 2016 19:50:06 -0500ThursdayAmerica/Chicago0630 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Do you make 100k right now? I don't yet. My rate is $35/hr. That's what my time is worth, regardless of the task. I work alongside illegals all the time. Sweating petrochemicals and getting some sun sure beats cancer, obesity and vitamin-d deficiency. I'm not planning on digging trenches and hauling out concrete slab blocks much longer, but am better conditioned than most men my age in good part from it.

It's a good point, thou. The thing is if white folk really wanted this work, they could nab it with ease. At the center where we pick up day laborers, Caucasians (when they are rarely there) get picked up early. The other interesting point is how the Mexicans have done a bit of striking starting a few years back, or at least organizing to only come out for a decent wage. You can't get them to come out for less than $20/hr most of the time doing hard labor.
edit on 1-9-2016 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: MoreInterior

We're hung up on it because American's don't like to do hot, dirty work. Never have.

Snip

Plenty of Americans are able, willing and are even currently doing hot, dirty work. Sometimes even cold, dirty work. Historically, Americans are hard workers. When I lived in Europe they loved to hire Americans because we will work until we fall down. You have no idea what you are talking about.
edit on 9/1/2016 by Blaine91555 because: Rude comment removed. Civility is required here, please remember that.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

I would never pick a Caucasian over a Mexican for hard labor.

Many would, but I know better.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
a reply to: redhorse

I would never pick a Caucasian over a Mexican for hard labor.

Many would, but I know better.

Pfff...

You'd only pick a Mexican because you know that you can exploit them because they are desperate. That says more about your lousy ethical framework than an American work ethic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join