It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgetown University To Help Decendents Of Slaves.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
You learn something new everyday.

It would appear that back in the 1800's Georgetown Uni had ownership of 272 slaves which they sold in 1838.
Now it would seem that The Uni has a guilt complex from being a slave owner all those years ago, and now wants to make some sort of reconpense.

It may for example rename college buildings after former slaves, and fund a research institute on slavery.

It also wants to give decendent's of slaves an advantage in the admissions process.

Well well well.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Ah christianity racism and slavery. At least the catholics are admitting it was wrong I guess.

Seems like a normal day at the office.

I always found it remarkable the bible belt is the most racist and homophobic part of the country where any alternative lifestyle is judged with extreme predjuidice.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

As long as it's for those of all slaves. Egyptians, Trojans. Otherwise that's racist.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

Not really. They are making amends for the injustice that university created. American slaves are from several regions.

I imagine every university has its own political strucrure so any schools in egypt or greece or Italy have their own issues.

The church in general sure has a long, long way to go.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Good. I think there is actually a case for reparations. Not out of guilt but out of justice and fairness. Many families, businesses or institutions are still standing and profiting on slavery to this day. Same with Native American tribes who still have not had their treaties, borders or laws respected... while the US government and whatever private companies with their hands up the government bum continue to exploit for profit.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
You learn something new everyday.

It would appear that back in the 1800's Georgetown Uni had ownership of 272 slaves which they sold in 1838.
Now it would seem that The Uni has a guilt complex from being a slave owner all those years ago, and now wants to make some sort of reconpense.

It may for example rename college buildings after former slaves, and fund a research institute on slavery.

It also wants to give decendent's of slaves an advantage in the admissions process.

Well well well.

www.bbc.co.uk...

What is a research institute on slavery?

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Totally fine with ancestors of slaves getting some preference...if their family members were slaves and sold to pay off the college I'm good...doesn't really seem like a great deal for the person that was sold off but it's a start...

I guess when it comes to reparation who's to say what is enough or too little...hard to put a price tag on a human life..

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: LifeMode

As long as it's for those of all slaves. Egyptians, Trojans. Otherwise that's racist.
FOH with that crap. Trojans didn't help build America under slavery.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

Totally fine with ancestors of slaves getting some preference...if their family members were slaves and sold to pay off the college I'm good...doesn't really seem like a great deal for the person that was sold off but it's a start...

I guess when it comes to reparation who's to say what is enough or too little...hard to put a price tag on a human life..

True that, man.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Its interesting the different perspectives of life... I have no doubt there are racist people in the middle of the country, Yet if I visit family up north because I have a slight southern accent ( I was born in florida but the military kept me in the fly over states from Louisiana to south dakota) I am immediately treated as if I had just got done horse whipping a slave; Or I am treated like an inbred dumb hick that barely knows what shoes are for.

Spent most of the last decade living in Oklahoma, I was rather surprised to find out they had a fairly large gay and trans community (job post active military had me working where they liked to hang out/go through as they went about there day).

Also saw more interracial couples than I had ever seen before in my life... lotta folks didn't care.. about the couples or the alternative lifestyle folks.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

edit on 1-9-2016 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
why do they keep bringing this back up? the whole slavery kick.. almost every race or culture has been enslaved at one time, what about the rest of em?

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I understand some of what your saying. I am from the NE, lived in texas for 13 years, and SC.

But i seriously doubt the mid west or northern states have legislators passing discriminatory laws under religious freedom guise. Or for say your accent. I got the same treatment in the south over vernacular. People usually say "I wont hold it against you".

Also a massive amount of catholic hatred down here. Like its worse than being a muslim. I am not religious but its common. My wife is a research professor. By far the most racist place we have moved is SC. The NGR jokes are rediculously prevalalent and campus issues are constant. Even in hobnobbing academic parties I hear this stuff from both sides actually.

I used to teach Judo and wrestling in TX. I did some antibullying after school self deffense programs. Not kidding 70 percent were gay or trans. I had one kid who had his orbital broken from a bat. Lost partial eyesight in that eye. So i could be impressioned by those expiriences but statistically and legislatively i think its true.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ware2010

Most of them werent segregates until the late 60's. Being expiremented on like Guinea pigs up into the 70 s.

Also we are country who values justice. Pretty sure the roman empire doesnt exist anymore where as ours does.

And who cares its their choice. They arent being forced to.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

why do they keep bringing this back up?

Have you heard the expression " The Past Never Goes Away " ?

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

Most of them werent segregates until the late 60's. Being expiremented on like Guinea pigs up into the 70 s.

Also we are country who values justice. Pretty sure the roman empire doesnt exist anymore where as ours does.

And who cares its their choice. They arent being forced to.

I don't think this country has valued justice in quite awhile, and I care, its annoying and pointless, give it up already.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
well I have now. unfortunately

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Extortion. They are entitled to nothing, and should get nothing. They personally have never been enslaved by anybody.

I find it interesting how many of these slavery reputation proposals only benefit those of African of black decent, and ignore the other ethnicities who were enslaved, including people of HispanicClaritin, whites, Chinese (railways couldn't be built without them) Arabs, Indians and other central Asians....

They are also intended to be collected exclusively from white people.

A racist tax if ever I saw one

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Its a private school, they decided on their own. So your comment seems to be a dogwhistle to quote weld.

Did any of those slaves remain legally segregated until the late 60's? Did actual legislation segregate them? That is an injustice and those folks are still alive, and there direct offspring are still alive.

edit on 1-9-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Are you the worlds great decider?

You give it up.

Its their school they can do what they want. They were not mandated to do it.

You dont like it go somewhere else.
edit on 1-9-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join