It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Atheists, what do you believe in?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Jaja

Atheists believing in the paranormal and not believing in God, what a funny bunch, i rather die believing in God because if i die and God doesnt exist ill just sleep forever, ill die believing in something that didnt exist, but besides that what else will happen,ill be dead thats it, but what if its true all of you will go to hell and be in eternal suffering, you cannot be a hundred percent sure and you all know that , you rather believe a scientist telling you that God doesnt exist or be so selfish and believe yourself thinking he doesnt exist, remember that there have been after death studies on people that have died for minutes and have returned and said they experienced the afterlife , there was one study from the uk on this , im not your nany search for it, ill rather die a fool than wake up in hell, ill guess ill see you from the above when youre in hell asking for water, nobody is 100 percent sure, NOBODY
edit on 3-9-2016 by Pbraca because: Word mispelled

edit on 3-9-2016 by Pbraca because: Word mispelled

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Pbraca

You do realize that there is more than just one supposed God. So you believing in one, and that being the wrong God, would just mean you're going to burn for believing in the wrong God anyway.

Your logic isn't very sound.

Furthermore, wouldn't worshiping a false God be far worse than simply not being convinced any exist at all? At least then you used intellect to decide, rather than actively go against a God.

Lastly, just believing usually isn't enough for a religion, you need to abide by the rules and ideology of that religion too. So you may be following the correct religion, but you could be following it all wrong and burn anyway.

So let's say your religion is against science and prefers prayer healing instead. Now imaging that that religions God isn't actually real. So you have now just subjected who knows how many people, including yourself to possible horrific suffering because you followed a religion because you "wanted to play it safe, just in case". Let's say this religion is incredibly populous and they begin to actually sway scientific advancement all together. Not only would you have wasted your life following a false belief, but your false belief would be the cause of possibly millions of people suffering because of it, and the advancement of the human race slows to a massive degree.

That's why you "playing it safe just in case" logic makes no sense.
edit on 3/9/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Oh wow, that was funny.

Since when has science said "there's no god"? I'm sure you'll be able to find a link to a scientist saying it as part of his/her opinion, but you will never find science saying that.

Also, as an atheist, surely I'm "playing it safe" more than you? I mean, if there IS a god/s then I'm fine. If there isn't, I've lost nothing.
edit on 392016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
@ghost147

I believe in God the one and only for you there might be more than one , for me there is only one , is your problem if you believe in multiple gods or in God or in no god the merely fact that you reply to my comments says something , so ill see you from the above when youre in hell or well be both dead forever which ever the case have a good one , like i said before i believe in God i try to live my life accordingly to the bible teachings which is Gods word, anyways ask yourself are you a 100 % sure God doesnt exist???? Then live your life happy according to your answer , but the truth is nobody is 100 % sure of Gods existence, Nobody, ill rather believe in him and try to live accordingly to his teachings, im pretty sure im not gonna lose anything
edit on 3-9-2016 by Pbraca because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pbraca
Jaja

Atheists believing in the paranormal and not believing in God, . . .

I do not "believe" in paranormal (for lack of better word).

What I have are my experiences since birth, my Normal. They just are. It just happens.

Premonitions make no sense. How do you see something before it happens? Yet, I have had this experience.

Are we on a "loop"? Are we a very advanced virtual reality game - - where we repeat levels until we get it right?

What I do believe is everything is energy. Consciousness is energy. Physical is a manifestation of thought energy (consciousness).

No God - - just energy - - and maybe a computer programmer. I call mine Frank. If I'm gonna talk to a "guy in the sky" - - its gonna be Frank.

edit on 3-9-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

@ghost147

I believe in God the one and only for you there might be more than one , for me there is only one ,

I'm an atheist. So no gods for me.

I was merely pointing out that your logic and reason for believing, being "to play it safe" is highly illogical considering there are more supposed gods than just one.

If there was only one religion then your logic would be mildly more sound, but then there's still a plethora of other points I brought up that still shows that it makes no sense.

@ghost147
is your problem if you believe in multiple gods or in God or in no god the merely fact that you reply to my comments says something

It looks like the logic in your psycho analysis is just as poor as your "to play it safe" reason.

@ghost147
, so ill see you from the above when youre in hell or well be both dead forever which ever the case have a good one

If a God punishes people for holding no beliefs in it simply because they used their own minds which that God created to come to conclusions on their own due to the lack of evidence that surrounds that God then why would I want to be anywhere near it when I die?

I'll stay in hell, thanks

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

I'm not an atheist, per se. After all, I believe that at one point, we (and everything else in the entire multiverse, which is literally trillions of times larger than our observable Hubble volume) were closer than brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, lovers, friends or neighbors. We just spread out a bit since then.

As far as religion goes, I've never really understood the fascination, to be perfectly honest. IF there is an intelligence behind our multiverse, it certainly doesn't want or need ME on my knees, glorifying it.

As near as I can tell, a particularly tenacious breed of talking ape-man followed the recipe (likely the same one followed by trillions of beings throughout the universe) and got scared when the thunder rolled. Like dogs. Have you ever seen certain dogs during a thunder storm? That's religion, in a nutshell.

Every single religion on planet earth, including the post colonial, mildly condescending "hero-worship" of indigenous people's ancient belief structures, is a tiny little ape-brain approximation of an elephant no one is equipped to experience or understand in a mortal body. So we make stuff up. About thunder, and sex and love and death. Because that's what we are good at. We innovate in the spaces dogs tremble. Even the most gifted, most spiritual, most transcendent human being who ever lived has barely a fraction of a pixel on an ultra-high def screen's worth of truth or understanding when it comes to god, spirit or soul.

So be it.

I try to live and let live, unless someone is dumb enough to get in my face about it That's when I let them have it with both barrels.

Not a jew. Not a Hindu. Not a Viking. Not a Indian.

Just a man, born in the latter half of the twentieth century, which is only the current version of techno-evolved humanity (there were undoubtably several others, but they all fought over god, money and land until they killed themselves off).

There aren't any religions big enough to encompass "god" as far as I can tell, and even if you tae every god that ever existed and roll them together, that religion would still be a pimple on the end of a dogs dong to the multiverse, and the splendor of eternity, love and creativity.

As for ghosts, telepathy, and all the rest: I'm a woo woo dead zone. I have slept like a baby in houses other ape-men were convinced were irredeemably haunted and F'd up beyond salvation.

Does that mean that I BELIEVE that paranormal stuff is impossible? Nah.... It just doesn't apply to me.

How does it go? "Not my monkey, not my circus."

But why not? Knock yourself out.

When I am done here I will do what everyone else who has ever lived will do: I'll wake up to my birth into the multiverse. Everyone gets exactly what they expect in death, never mind what they deserve. Some of us will sleep forever in the absence of awareness. Others will find paradise, heaven, sheol, Hel, etc.

I'll be off to create a new universe. Maybe I'll even try my hand at people.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
@ghost147

It seems you are more intelligent than God, you beat him, so have a good one then , for what i heard hell is a very nice place

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

I like the computer simulation theory. Reincarnation is a fun theory too. Who knows really. The Abrahamic religions are all pretty much carbon copies of each other too, so there might be something to that, but I think if anything is true it is metaphoric, and none of it is literal truth.

Who knows. No one knows for sure even though everyone claims to. I just keep an open mind. If evidence of creation comes out one way or the other, I am open to considering it.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

@ghost147

It seems you are more intelligent than God, you beat him, so have a good one then , for what i heard hell is a very nice place

I don't consider myself exceptionally intelligent. I was merely pointing out that your reason behind why you choose to believe in a God really isn't as 'safe' as you believe it to be

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I believe I *came* from somewhere, and I'm *going* somewhere.
Where that is, I can only imagine. Perhaps it is an energy,
or lifeforce, that is collective, including ALL life on the
planet and in the universe--a sibling energy of the electro-
magnetic force, or gravity or something like those.

I do not believe I originated here and now. For that to be true
would that there has been a blueprint for me, hanging around
since the beginning of time, just waiting for the right conditions
to accomplish the task of creating the exact body, that exactly
creates a *unique* consciousness that is exactly *me*.

As for a creator...I don't know...if there was one...then who
created the creator that created the creator. It is a child's
question I know, but a cogent one nonetheless.
edit on 3-9-2016 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
All very interesting responses, atheists and non-atheists alike. Thanks for sharing! The diversity we get to see here on ATS is amazing.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I believe in fire.

SH10151 this is the serial number of our orbital gun.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I believe one day man will redeem himself.

Probably not though.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Theprimevoyager
I believe one day man will redeem himself.

Probably not though.

Redeem himself from/for what?

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Atheists believing in the paranormal and not believing in God, what a funny bunch, i rather die believing in God because if i die and God doesnt exist ill just sleep forever, ill die believing in something that didnt exist, but besides that what else will happen,ill be dead thats it, but what if its true all of you will go to hell and be in eternal suffering, you cannot be a hundred percent sure and you all know that , you rather believe a scientist telling you that God doesnt exist or be so selfish and believe yourself thinking he doesnt exist, remember that there have been after death studies on people that have died for minutes and have returned and said they experienced the afterlife , there was one study from the uk on this , im not your nany search for it, ill rather die a fool than wake up in hell, ill guess ill see you from the above when youre in hell asking for water, nobody is 100 percent sure, NOBODY

Personally I'd rather not live my life a certain way out of fear. That is exactly what you're describing. You believe in God because you fear Hell for not believing.

BTW, if God is real, he'll know that you were just faking it too and only acting like you believe because you feared his Wrath. So don't think for a second that you're fooling anyone with your little plan, especially not God.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

If you're any example of what Religious

I'm not religious

Why don't we believe in Santa Clause or the Tooth Fairy???

I'm sure you would rather and I'm sure your explanation for our existence is
just as obsurd.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
@mOjOm

Of course i fear God , havent you read the bible or heard about God , God is compassionate to his followers but is harsh to sinners, is not a plan to fear hell is the reality, hell as described in the bible is awful, i believe in God because what atheist call an act of chance for me is a miracle because in my life i had some , and im sure the hand of God has some say in them, i do agree as many atheist that religion is awful, because most of the leaders of religion take advantage of people that put their faith in them and believe in everything they say instead of putting their faith in God, God never preached about religion in his word, with religion you get extremists, and sheep that do everything their leader say

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing

I am curious about your view of a few things, though. There are a number of religions and holy books out there that describe hell in their own way, so why not have an equal amount of fear for those holy-books' views of a hell? Why just the abrahamic God?

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I disagree. What you fear is the Unknown and because of that you've been convinced by others that not only do they have the inside information about that Unknown but also what you should do to not be harmed by it.

It's been done in various ways since before recorded history and it's a mental cage for humanity by manipulation of their fear of the unknown. They give it a name and a set of rules and convince others to follow.

That is the foundation of Religion and Faith.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join