It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disturbing Social Experiment Video - People Are Sheep?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
One part of me is laughing, but the other half is saying hmmm.

I have to say this experiment caught my eye, because of how people actually conformed, under social pressures.

Are we all like this, in our daily lives?

Here is another couple links, in case you can't see youtube.

vid.me...

Social Experiment
edit on 31-8-2016 by Realtruth because: Typo

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

Do you have a quick summary of the video's contents for those that cannot watch?

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Ahhh the Asch experiment!

I think conformity is a very powerful social reflex. Everyone wants to be part of the group, accepted by the group. It's an irresistible urge, in my opinion.

It's less about being a dumb sheep, but more about needing to belong. The guy (in the Asch video) clearly knows he's right, but he's willing to put that aside to fit in. It's an emotional investment.

I have caught myself bleating many times just to fit in and hope for acceptance and communitas.

edit on 31-8-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Scary more than anything.

No wonder I don't fit in.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I saw one like this where everyone faced the back of the elevator, so the unsuspecting test subject did too. I think that and standing when everyone else does on a beep is to calm social anxiety. I don't think it means she would jump off of a bridge of they all did to.
edit on 31-8-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

Had I been in that office, the first time I may have stood up. Thinking 'That must mean they are going to call several people in at one time'. If that didn;t come to pass, I would ask the receptionist what is going on with the beep and the standing.
edit on 31-8-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Group think experiments? Yes, its almost involuntary for some. Depending on the context it can be benign, but other scenarios of group think can lead to things like the persecution of Galileo and Nazi Germany. Makes me question true autonomy.

Ever listen to multiple separate conversations in the same setting and notice some times people from the different groups will say the same phrase at the same exact time or one after the other? I see it quite often.
edit on 31-8-2016 by OneGoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I would have remained seated while asking someone why they all did that every time the bell dinged. I know better than to follow the other lemmings, this lemming asks questions and follows the path less travelled. Same thing happens with lines, people see a bunch of people standing in line then just join the line not even knowing what it is for.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I saw one like this where everyone faced the back of the elevator, so the unsuspecting test subject did too. I think that and standing when everyone else does on a beep is to calm social anxiety. I don't think it means she would jump off of a bridge of they all did to.

Had I been in that office, the first time I may have stood up. Thinking 'That must mean they are going to call several people in at one time'. If that didn;t come to pass, I would ask the receptionist what is going on with the beep and the standing.

What she ^ said.

I would probably be standing up too in all honesty.

*Edited to add*

So would most of the rest of you, even though most of you will also not admit it. Funny ol' world; that push pull between individuality and belonging to the group.
edit on 31-8-2016 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I tried conformity for a short while. It was quite dull.

link   
I think things like this are only marginally useful.

What is more useful is to have actual stakes in the matter to test how strong people are in their own right/wrong feelings.

Something like this ... who cares if you stand? It doesn't actually hurt anyone if you do. It's not a big deal, so you might as well go along with the flow.

But what about the experiment where testers were put at the controls of what they thought was an electric shock machine with what they perceived to be another test subject in the other room. But they were told by the scientist in charge to continue even though the other subject would scream in agony, so many did.

The Milgram Experiment

IMO, something like this is a truer test of how strong you really are. Can you resist an authority figure even when you know what you're doing is wrong and causing someone else terrible pain, even possible death?

Standing up and down because everyone else is and there is no real reason not to ... who cares?

link   
PEOPLE ARE SHEEPLE!

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneGoal

Do you have a quick summary of the video's contents for those that cannot watch?

I posted additional links, in OP

Enjoy!

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Metaphysics destroys Logic. Therefore, Metaphysics is not good for the brain.
edit on 31-8-2016 by boozo because: Correction

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: KevinIsZebraman
PEOPLE ARE SHEEPLE!

I think people, most of the time are scared and confused creatures clinging on to their brief lives praying to Death to spare them for another year.

edit on 31-8-2016 by Tindalos2013 because: spoons

edit on 31-8-2016 by Tindalos2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I'd probably follow the crowd until I was alone then wonder why the doctor never called me since I played along. I'd likely run a counter experiment next of not indoctrinating the new person simply because I'd be pissed off I was not called. If that new person was called before me, and neither one us stood up, then I'd get mad and ask what was going on.

I'd play along, but I'd change the rules once it was left up to me to measure results. At least I believe I'd do that.

edit on 31-8-2016 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2016 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
This is not surprising.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   
That has to be one of the most ridiculous thigns ive ever seen.a reply to: Realtruth

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
This type of behavior is evident all over in society. Fads and trends always happen. People get rich by starting trends and trends are no different than this video.

I am not a sheep. That is so ridiculous. I am a mouse. Mice just observe and run in those little hamster wheels.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   

S&F

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Never, never ever, use Japan as a reference to anything..Cause it makes no sense, yet it is done by just Japanese..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join