It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My version of zucchini relish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

I call it "Maharaja's pride", a slightly sweet relish with wonderful earthy tones using coriander, tumeric, garam marsala, nutmeg and saffron. I also roast the red peppers to give it that extra depth of flavour. Here's the recipe, makes 12 jars

25 cups diced zucchini
7 cups diced onion
1/2 cup kosher salt
12 red peppers
4 cups apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons each coriander, tumeric and garam marsala
1 1/2 tablespoons each nutmeg and mustard powder
2 teaspoons saffron
3 cups sugar

THE FIRST DAY

mix diced zucchini, onions and salt in a large bowl cover in clear film and let sit in refrigerator overnight.

roast red peppers in a 425F oven till skins are blackened turning once halfway through (about 15 min) cover with foil and let sit till cool enough to handle, remove skin, seeds and any white pith then dice add a little kosher salt and let sit in fridge overnight.

THE SECOND DAY

remove peppers and zucchini/onion mix from fridge and drain in a colander giving a light sqweeze to remove excess water. place into a stock pot and add the remaining ingredients, bring just up to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
*note for experienced canners do not rinse off the salt after draining like you would normally do, this is my trick for not adding salt during cooking stage and I find the final product is less salty to the taste*

pack in sterile 500ml jars (that's one pint jars for you Americans
) and process in a water bath to seal.

Hope you all enjoy the canning season.

Daavin
edit on 31-8-2016 by Daavin because: grammar

edit on 31-8-2016 by Daavin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Sounds tasty.

I like to make caponata from the last of the garden veggies that are left in September; eggplant, peppers, tomatoes and zucchini.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Sounds delish, that is an Italian version of ratatouille correct?

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Made my mouth water looking at your photos. Gotta love me some pickle/relish and cheese. I like to make feijoa chutney and ad some chillie in there. Now I'm gunna make some.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Daavin

Very similar.

I like to add capers, anchovies, onions, currants and garlic to mine along with some fresh herbs.

Tastes great room temperature on grilled bread or slightly warmed and tossed with pasta.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
This sounds delicious. Thank you for the recipe. Something i can do with all the garden vegetables.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Daavin

I HATE zucchini...but I LOVE my wifes zucchini bread! Ill have to turn her on to this relish...thanks.

new topics

top topics

join