It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Washington University Hires Former Al Qaeda Recruiter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
There's a lot of controversy surrounding the hiring of this man. But I see it in a positive light. What better teacher on counter terrorism can you find?
American Military News

Reformed extremists have been known to work for other universities in other countries, but this appears to be a first for the United States.

While working with the terrorist group, Morton owned a website called “Revolution Muslim” that identified and recruited new members. He used the website to instruct individuals how to take part in acts of violence against the U.S. He ran it out of his apartment in Flatbush, Brooklyn.

Seamus Hughes, deputy director of the Program on Extremism at GWU said that they weren’t able to reach people that were becoming radicalized, but Morton could be helpful in that aspect.

“We haven’t figured out how to reach that individual who’s going down the path of radicalization,” Hughes told CNN. “Jesse has been in that world and got out of that world.”

That is exactly right. When I received my COIN training we learned quite a bit about counter terrorism and counter insurgency tactics. But terrorists themselves don't always share the same goals with insurgent forces. For this reason any curriculum on counter terrorism has to have a 1st source and experienced based knowledge base. I can't think of a better way of getting that kind of training than to actually learn from someone who has been there and done that.

It is also no surprise to me that the hiring of this man would be controversial. This guy is, after all, a former recruiter for Al Qaeda. Something many are going to find troublesome. To me, however, I find his hiring to be a serious play in counter terrorism education. George Washington University will become, as a result of this hiring, the premier school in the world for counter terrorism.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

A former terrorist is teaching about terrorism? Sounds fine to me and I'm not worried that he'll rekindle his terrorist ways.

That said, I'm sure he's being watch closely anyway... or not, based on how this gov't seems to operate.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It like on growing pains, when Mike became a super teacher

Someone who was on the inside, if he really turned is a great idea....if he really turned.

Does anyone trust the Obama administration to vet him and keep an eye on him?

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   

yea... i dont see this coming back to bite us in the arse down the line at all....

maybe we're the one's being bamboozled... 'i used to be a terrorist recruiter, hire me and ill tell you why people become radicalized and you can effectively fight those darn terrorists, i swear to Allah i'll be honest'
edit on 31-8-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

If people avoid the kneejerk reactions, this move makes a lot of sense. Who would know the current techniques and warning signs of "radicalizing" someone more than people who actually recruited & radicalized would-be terrorists? Law enforcement does the same thing by recruiting former members of gangs and other organized crime rings.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

That is my thought. Most people seem to have a kneejerk reaction to this and it is understandable to a degree.

For me it is a chance at an education quality level that is rarely an opportunity. GWU made a great choice here, in my opinion, as controversial at that may be.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
My primary concern I would want answered is, did this man break any existing laws during his recruitment days? Does not recruitment still count as direct support to a terrorist organization which is a felony??

If what this man did falls within certain laws that he broke, he should be arrested immediately and pay the price. If recruiting for a terrorist organization even if failure is not a crime anymore, than please point me to the exit of the twilight zone. I do not approve.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Are you insane. He's a Muslim and will cut your head off in a heartbeat. Isn't that what the Trump right wing want's us to believe? Plus he's educated and you can't trust people like that.
edit on 31-8-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I happen to agree with Trumps immigration policy with regard to nations who have substantial radicalization problems.

I also believe that Islam is the problem and therefore Islam is the solution.

I've seen first hand what radical Islam does and what it actually means. Which is why I would jump at the chance of taking a class from this guy. Because he would tell you the same thing.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   
ok now i know who recruited ISIS

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   

It makes sense, but still, cant we just hire someone to pretend to become a terrorist and use him as a source?

Is it really that hard to pretend to be at war with society and act like an enemy?

If he is offering operational knowledge then cool. If its about psychological leanings, shait, find an angry person from harlem to join and report back.

Lord knows we have a population diverse enough to infiltrate every group and country on the planet.

edit on 9 1 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Are you insane. He's a Muslim and will cut your head off in a heartbeat. Isn't that what the Trump right wing want's us to believe? Plus he's educated and you can't trust people like that.

Wait, you mean me?

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Shouldn't such a terrorist recruiter have been put in jail for treason even after giving up his ways? I can see the logic involved, but seriously, why is this guy allowed to go free and given such a job after pulling that crap?

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Isn't that similar to the phrase"Fox watching the hen house" doesn't sound like a good idea to me,the road to ruin is paved with good intention

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   

It actually makes sense if he's part of a psyop.

Like Adam Gadahn, another Hasedic Jew, who became a Moslem preaching radial Islam, Morton and Cohen (Abdullah Mohammed and Yousef al-Khattab) went on to create "Revolution Muslim".

When it emerged that these radical Moslems were Hasedic Jewish converts, many questioned whether or not their purpose was simply to create more anti-Moslem rhetoric/propaganda.

Now that one of them has been hired by a University after being link to a terrorist organization, I'd say that theres a pretty good chance that these guys are controlled opposition.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
Shouldn't such a terrorist recruiter have been put in jail for treason even after giving up his ways? I can see the logic involved, but seriously, why is this guy allowed to go free and given such a job after pulling that crap?

He was. You should probably check the link in the OP which says this:

In 2012, Morton was arrested and was sentenced to more than 11 years in prison after making threats against the South Park creators who depicted the Prophet Muhammad in a bear suit.

While in prison, Morton spent a lot of time studying the works of Enlightenment philosophers such as John Locke and American thinkers such as Thomas Payne,

“In Locke, I found tolerance and secularism. In Rousseau’s social contract, I saw the value of democracy,” Morton told CNN.

While in prison, he met an FBI agent that treated him differently than other law enforcement officers and treated him with “respect,” changing his views that the “U.S. government was evil.”

He was released from prison in February, 2o15 and has worked with the FBI on “high profile cases,” Hughes told CNN.

Have you ever seen the Leo DiCaprio film "Catch Me If You Can?" This is a similar situation.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Yeah, should have read the links. Thanks for pointing that one out.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

No problem. I'd also see a problem w/them hiring him without some form of restitution or punishment.

new topics

top topics

join