It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Could this be the end of Alzheimer's? Hopefully so....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I love hearing when finally there is some form of breakthrough in any sense and to those who need the help in various areas, I wish everyone with bad health or those they know the very best. I just wanted to share this recent news article in regards to Alzheimer's.

- Aducanumab is designed to target the underlying damage to the brain
- Works by targeting the hallmark tangle of proteins in Alzheimer's patients
- Study showed those who took drug had reduced build up after a year
- Experts hailed the findings as 'game-changing' and 'unprecedented'

Could this be the end of Alzheimer's? Revolutionary drug 'may stop the disease from ever developing'

A revolutionary drug that could stop people from ever developing Alzheimer’s disease has been unveiled by scientists.
Trials have produced ‘unprecedented’ results and the medicine has been hailed as a potential game-changer in the fight against the cruel disease.
In future, healthy pensioners could be prescribed the drug to ward off dementia, in much the same way as statins are given today to those at risk of heart attacks.
One British expert described the drug, which is about to be tested in hospitals around the UK, as the best yet, others called it ‘ingenious’ work with ‘tantalising’ results.
And a US doctor hailed it as the best news in his 25-year career.

edit on 31-8-2016 by BlackProject because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-9-2016 by ATSmediaPRO because: Added source link

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I heard about this on the news earlier,, I'm hoping it has some good results in the near future, cause it would solve a huge problem for those that are suffering from it.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackProject

I read about this before and was going to make a thread, but I forgot.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   

By chance do you have a link?

That would be amazing if Alzheimer's could be prevented. My grandmother died from it, my grandfather too and now my other grandmother is going through the diagnostic process. Per her physician, most likely she has it, we find out this week. It's a horrible disease, for those that have it and the loved ones of the sufferer.

I fear getting it, really bad.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

I read about this before and was going to make a thread, but I forgot.

Yeah well thought I would post to hopefully let those that may have not heard the news, see it.

originally posted by: DarkvsLight29
I heard about this on the news earlier,, I'm hoping it has some good results in the near future, cause it would solve a huge problem for those that are suffering from it.

Me too friend, hopefully this gains some good movement in a solution as it does seem they have solved it pretty much. Along with many other illnesses too. Fingers crossed.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jennyfrenzy

By chance do you have a link?

That would be amazing if Alzheimer's could be prevented. My grandmother died from it, my grandfather too and now my other grandmother is going through the diagnostic process. Per her physician, most likely she has it, we find out this week. It's a horrible disease, for those that have it and the loved ones of the sufferer.

I fear getting it, really bad.

Link to Article

Sorry yes here is the link. I forgot to attach it with the post.

My grandfather also died from this and thus my large wish to hopefully solve this before anyone else close to me and close to others have to suffer.

I wish your grandmother the very best and hopefully this is true because just like your grandmother and others like her, she deserves the very best in life. I again wish her the best.

edit on 31-8-2016 by BlackProject because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Um, I think you need to reread my reply. Try saying it out loud in a sarcastic type of way.

Also, for anyone thinking I'm a senseless (insert name), my grandmother had Alzheimer's. There's nothing saying I'm not allowed to have a morbid sense of humour

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Thanks so much

It's so hard to see them go through it, as you are probably aware. Sorry for your loss...

My grandmother is pretty scared and has been trying to hide the memory issues she's been having. It's the early stages and she is aware of what's going on and the probable diagnosis.

Can't even imagine how it must feel to know that you have this disease and that one day won't be able to recall all the memories and loved ones. Heartbreaking.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Last time I heard news like this was prior to apes taking over the planet..

Fantastic news.. star and flag..

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Interesting. It doesn't reverse the brain damage (or the behavioral evidence of it), only stops it at the point where therapy began.

I wonder if it kills off prions or just affects the amyloid deposits themselves?

And I also wonder how much will be charged for it...

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

It's such a hard disease to deal with, my family had many many laughs over things my grandparents said and did.

My grandmother was calling her caregiver by her first husbands name and trying to get him to hop in to bed with her

Laughter really is the best medicine; it helped my family deal with the loss.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

My grandmother was calling everyone by my stepdads name when she was in hospital. I had to go outside for a smoke break because I just couldn't hold in the laughter.

You're right. Laughter is the best medicine. If If I have to choose to laugh or cry, I'll choose laughing, even if it's completely inappropriate.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

There were some times I had to step away too. My grandmother was eventually moved in to a home specifically for people with advanced Alzheimer's or Dementia. The things that went on in that place were bizarre. Many of the families laughed and cried with each other.

One of the men in the home she lived in would 'talk' to himself in the mirror. It was really more like a whistle, very sad to see. Meanwhile my grams was eating her favorite sandwich, turkey and katsup, looking straight at me and did the little crazy sign where you spin your finger around your temple. That got me, had to walk away.

How I miss her, God I miss her. It's hard because it feels like she's been gone much longer than she really has. We lost her years before she passed. It was a relief when she left because it meant her decade long struggle was over. She was so happy at the end. My mom coined it 'pleasantly confused'.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Oh I get the "gone before she left" feeling. Was exactly the same for me and my family.

Sometimes she'd have lucid days or hours and those were worse because THAT'S when she knew something was wrong with her.

One thing I'll never forget is, when she went a care home she decided to "escape". She went for a wander in her night gown. We finally found her about a mile down the road. When we asked her where she was going, she said "home". We asked her where as her previous home was just around the corner. She replied with an older home about 350 MILES away. Needless to say, we moved her from that home to a better one they following day.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

So scary, so glad you found her. Can't even imagine the fear you and your family felt.

Hopefully one day there will be a medication on the market that can stop it or reverse the effects.

Best to you and your family.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Thanks

Same to you and yours.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Great thread here's the link www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 31-8-2016 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   
just skeptical
For years.decades even, I've been hearing about new revolutionary treatments and cures that will end: cancer, dementia, heart disease, aids, aging, blood disorders etc etc...
and nothing ever comes from it.
batting zero. some treatments come forward, sure. but whenever I see the word revolutionary, miracle, or anything like that, thats sign 1 that its all just bull...possibly to keep funding going, or just clickbait, who knows.

I hope so..I will toss that on the hope pile a mile high with all the hopes for the other treatments and cures I have read in the years for a wide array of stuff. I am thinking perhaps we just dont have a model society anywhere in the world that would even want a cure or truly effective treatment to come out and fix some issues.

pessimism...but seriously...who is working hard to put themselves out of a job.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

pessimism...but seriously...who is working hard to put themselves out of a job.

This point^^.

I think the reason that we don't see anything come from many potential treatments is that the initial breakthrough happens at Universities / college hospitals where there ARE people who want to find cures for these diseases. Then the research is bought or transferred over into private industry and then it just quietly goes away...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join