It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

share your new or recent discoveries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
i admit i am pretty snobby when it comes to music. i know what i like and i know what i dont. having said that i will also say that i like a LOT of different genres of music. i will also say that i am a big fan of musicianship, technique, knowledge of theory....that kind of thing.

though i put a lot of stock in those things one of my favorite bands is the white stripes for the exact opposite. sloppy. stripped down....love it

i am usually late to the party when it comes to 'new'(new to me) stuff.

frank zappa is by far my favorite musician. my biggest influence in more than music but i didnt even get into him till about 10 years ago.

once i get into a musician or a band i get obsessed and i have to acquire everything i possibly can from them...it becomes a thing with me.

so i will discover something that is new to me and them become obsessed with it and kick myself for coming across it at an earlier time and dismissing it.

so here are a few within the last 6 months or so that i am just enthralled with.

esperanza spaulding---jazz singer. double bass. electric bass

conlon nancarrow-----very complicated player piano composer. many etudes.

henry cowell--------music theorist. pianist. composer. played what he called stringed piano. he would play pizzacato on the strings instead of using the keys. would use his elbows and forearms to achieve atonalities and polytonalities....just amazing ****

tosin abasi------8 string guitarist...just a monster

jaco pastorius------electric bass. known for his natural harmonics all over the board.

just a few recent discoveries. please share yours because i am in the mood to find new stuff.

thanks

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
i admit i am pretty snobby when it comes to music. i know what i like and i know what i dont. having said that i will also say that i like a LOT of different genres of music. i will also say that i am a big fan of musicianship, technique, knowledge of theory....that kind of thing.

though i put a lot of stock in those things one of my favorite bands is the white stripes for the exact opposite. sloppy. stripped down....love it

i am usually late to the party when it comes to 'new'(new to me) stuff.

frank zappa is by far my favorite musician. my biggest influence in more than music but i didnt even get into him till about 10 years ago.

once i get into a musician or a band i get obsessed and i have to acquire everything i possibly can from them...it becomes a thing with me.

so i will discover something that is new to me and them become obsessed with it and kick myself for coming across it at an earlier time and dismissing it.

so here are a few within the last 6 months or so that i am just enthralled with.

esperanza spaulding---jazz singer. double bass. electric bass

conlon nancarrow-----very complicated player piano composer. many etudes.

henry cowell--------music theorist. pianist. composer. played what he called stringed piano. he would play pizzacato on the strings instead of using the keys. would use his elbows and forearms to achieve atonalities and polytonalities....just amazing ****

tosin abasi------8 string guitarist...just a monster

jaco pastorius------electric bass. known for his natural harmonics all over the board.

just a few recent discoveries. please share yours because i am in the mood to find new stuff.

thanks
Dude you would LOVE CandyRatRecords YouTube channel! It has loads of very very good musicians showing off their talent. Mostly guitarists, many different and unique styles. I would link it but I'm on my mobile. Check it out and let me know if you like it and maybe I can show you some more stuff.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

pretty deep in franz liszt at the moment but i will check it out tonight.
thanks

these just amateur youtube people?

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
try bob sima & gackt

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: Alien Abduct

pretty deep in franz liszt at the moment but i will check it out tonight.
thanks

these just amateur youtube people?
No, far from amateurs, some of these bids have over 50 million views. You will be hooked.
edit on 8/31/2016 by Alien Abduct because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I've been jamming out to theses guys lately...

Alternative

Glass Animals-Toes & Pools

Indie

Motel Motel-Coffee

Phantogram-Mouthful of diamonds

M83-midnight city

Not new, but all killer

edit on 8 by Mandroid7 because: spc

edit on 8 by Mandroid7 because: sausagefingerphonetypoerror

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Howdy. Love the thread! Looking forward to checking back, and looking into any new suggestions.

Anything by Charles Mingus

As for international, non-western music, I've found Mali to have an inordinate amount of amazing music.

My favorite is Rokia Traore, her voice is angelic.

Don't know how to embed vid, sorry! Here's a link:

www.youtube.com...

Baby Huey

www.youtube.com...

Maria Callas

www.youtube.com...

Helmet

www.youtube.com...

Ruby Johnson

www.youtube.com...

If you like any of the (wide variety) of sound, reply and I'll suggest more

edit on 31-8-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I discovered Tomas Kalnoky (aka Toh Kay), who is the lead singer, guitarist, and songwriter from one of my favorite bands called Streetlight Manifesto, has released acoustic versions of Streetlight Manifesto songs. I was listening to my Pandora not long back and a familiar song started playing, with a familiar voice, but instead of being ska-punk, it was accoustic and much more mellow, and very good! So, I looked into it... While I love the Streetlight Manifesto Albums like Everything Goes Numb (2003) and Somewhere In The Between (2007), the latest album, The Hands That Thieve, is much better in Toh Kay's acoustic version called The Hand That Thieves, in my honest opinion.

Enjoy the full album:

He's a very talented artist and singer. It's a real shame though that in releasing these acoustic versions of the songs he wrote for Streetlight Manifesto, that he is being sued by Victory Records, because they claim ownership of all the Streetlight Manifesto songs, therefor they're accusing him of plagiarizing his own songs...

edit on 31-8-2016 by Aldakoopa because: Typos

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Forgot Tom Waits Dirt in the Ground.
So gritty, very fitting of subject matter
www.youtube.com...

I liked Esmeralda Spaulding. Reminded me of this song-- White Tiger Izzy Bizu (dunno why, sometimes my associations are way off)
www.youtube.com...

Looking forward to hearing more.
edit on 31-8-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I just love this stupid song,

And what the hell is this? i tell you what it is, pure awesome.

edit on 1-9-2016 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The Lumineers I have become a big fan of over the past year. I find their sound very unique and distinct and while they may not be for everyone, they're certainly a flavor that can really draw you in.

They sing a handful of songs in this video that are great. If you want to check them out, I'd recommend "Ho Hey", "Flowers In Your Hair", "Stubborn Love" and "Ophelia". These guys aren't exactly unknowns but haven't really broken through either.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: chissler

ho hey is the first song i learned on ukulele. awesome.

anyone listen to electronica?

check out olga bell. this song is called ATA and i cant get enough

or die antwoord? they are pretty crazy.
i dont like the dude(ninja) that much but the chick(yolandi) is awesome.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Loved the Olga Bell thanks.

Heard of Sigur Ros?

www.youtube.com...

I used to work with one of the fiddle players for this local band (Munly and the Lee Lewis Harlots).. very interesting girl!
They had quite a following here in Denver but broke up some time ago.
www.youtube.com...

The Die Antwoord girl is intriguing. I read somewhere she's a practitioner of chaos magick.. could explain some of her bewitching draw?
edit on 1-9-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Perhaps im wrong feels a little rock in here and I really enjoy rock but I introduce some jazz/funk

new topics

top topics

join