a reply to: oblivvious
No, they cannot...unless they have an allergy to one of those things already. Anaphylaxis is not common, and it is caused by an acute, overwhelming
It strikes without warning and can kill a person within minutes; they lose their primary airway and suffocate, and brain tissue begins to die rapidly
from oxygen starvation. A couple of years ago there was a case where a teenager died minutes after kissing her boyfriend, who had proteins from peanut
residue on his lips...which she was fatally allergic to. That was anaphylaxis.
It is a life threatening condition that cannot be reversed without immediate emergency medical intervention. And if a person is lucky enough to
survive it the first time, it is unlikely that they would live through another exposure to the same agent...anaphylaxis is the most severe allergic
response next to death, which soon follows without access to IV drugs and an emergency tracheotomy to provide airway access and a ventilator or bag to
artificially breathe for the victim.
People throw the term around casually, because it's a big medical word and sounds important...such as in a case where a restaurant patron is trying to
intimidate the wait staff. But being a vegan and suddenly eating butter or bacon grease is not going to cause a life threatening allergic response. At
most, it'll cause severe gastric upset...which is never fun, but rarely becomes a deadly threat to the sufferer. That is simply a sensitivity to the
fats in those particular foods...which can happen to carnivores too, if they don't routinely consume them.
It is possible to develop a sudden allergy to a previously eaten food or other substance, because many different things share the same biological
components. Latex, for example, shares protein strands with bananas and melon, among other very common things, so they can cause the same reaction.
If your customer had severe allergy to something that shares the building blocks of both butter and pork, she would have already been told to avoid
those foods completely. No one with a shred of gray matter would be stupid enough to take that risk and eat in an establishment knowing that those
items are on the menu.
If she had ever suffered a near death experience by an anaphylactic reaction to butter and bacon, she wouldn't have even thought about eating at a
place that routinely serves those foods...nor would she be so cavalier about it. No, she was just parroting something she read on the internet and
using it to get her the special treatment that she was seeking. That actually IS a common condition, unfortunately.