It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Set Herself on Fire in Congressman's Chicago Office

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
U.S. Congressman Danny Davis had a woman set herself on fire in his Chicago office.

Davis took the opportunity to press the mental health issues that seem to go unaddressed.

The problem here is Davis has been the U.S. Congressman in his district for almost 20 years !!

Why has he failed to get community groups to help mentally ill people who live there?

Political/Social Failure.

Cops: Woman Set Herself on Fire in Congressman's Chicago Office

A woman set herself on fire in a suicide attempt Tuesday afternoon at U.S. Rep. Danny K. Davis’ West Side office, authorities said.

About 3 p.m., the 43-year-old woman entered the office at 2746 W. Madison St. She drank hand sanitizer, poured it on herself and set herself on fire in an attempt to kill herself, according to Chicago Police. She suffered burns and was taken to Stroger Hospital in serious condition.

“To me, it’s an obvious case of mental illness,” Davis said. “It’s a reaffirmation of the tremendous need for additional mental health services in our community.”

Hmmm.

edit on Aug-31-2016 by xuenchen because: wasteofcrisis

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Not good.

I read a piece a few months back that talked about how real social and societal change would not happen in the US until something drastic happened, like the monks setting themselves on fire during the Vietnam war.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Chicago is an entire greater metro area of mental illness, as reflected every time there is a vote for an elected official.

That said, I hope that the lady gets the help that she needs, both medical and mental.
edit on 31-8-2016 by SlapMonkey because: spelleeng iz hawrd

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Danny Davis is a buck dancing minstrel. Like many of these so called political community leaders, he hasn't done sh*t for his constituents other than line his own pockets. Why we continue to reelect these buffoons is just mind boggling. I say this as someone who is unfortunate to have this guy as my congressman. Just another political hack in the Democrat machine around these parts.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Why would she drink it? If it was in protest, the drinking part of it seems additionally bizarre. I'm glad she survived, hopefully she will get some much needed help. Would like to know what set her off..

She drank hand sanitizer, poured it on herself and set herself on fire in an attempt to kill herself

edit on 31-8-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

That's what I was about to ask, and...

What, was she going for Internal Human Combustion?

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Brilliant SELF EMOLATION.
THAT will REALLY help when they don't care about human life in our politics..SORRY.
NOW if his KID did it ...

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Or getting a little buzz before getting strapped down and thrown in a psyche ward (if she survived)?

Maybe she didn't have a tic-tac and wanted to have fresh-ish breath if EMTs had to perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation?
edit on 31-8-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
She probably drank it thinking it'd cause her insides to catch on fire too.

If this story has any truth at all to it, that is.
I'm afraid the 'real story' was 'sanitized' before rolling off the press though, as usual...

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
So unfortunate that someone resorted to such to gain attention for getting help,. Reminds me of this man last week: "Veteran Commits Suicide in Parking Lot of VA Hospital" - Source

Lobbyist and politicians will likely see to it that it brings no attention where needed in this dire situation, while they fight for their new yacht money raises.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   
uuuhhhh.. wouldn't a good question be why she did that? Nobody talks about it in the article or your post..

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   
But more and more I am seeing distressed people on the street. I haven't seen stuff like this since the 80's.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
uuuhhhh.. wouldn't a good question be why she did that? Nobody talks about it in the article or your post..

The Op source says,

'To me, it's an obvious case of mental illness,' Davis told Chicago Sun-Times. 'It's a reaffirmation of the tremendous need for additional mental health services in our community.'

So far no other sources reveal a name-patient confidentiality and believe that goes along with not revealing why she did it if that is available as of yet.
It doesn't seem like she was committing self-immolation for protest or martyrdom but rather she was having mental health issues/drug addiction issues, according to the source,

Davis said he was told that the woman entered the office and began picking up various items around the room. Eventually, the woman was told to stop picking up staff members’ things and was told the police would be called if she didn’t listen.

Continued

Davis said that at least once a day a person with a mental illness, who is homeless or is addicted to drugs, stops by his office. His staff frequently works with area homeless shelters, mental health organizations and hospitals to help people get into treatment.

Anthony Rizzo Pens Heartfelt Letter to Young Cancer Patient “I’ve driven people myself” to get drug treatment, Davis said.
-OP Source

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

But why his office? They must know who he is.. prob a better reason than just that they're crazy.

..but hand sanitizer.. thats silly. Just a little alcohol in there.
edit on 2-9-2016 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join