It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few tips to make your colonoscopy an easier process

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Not cowardly. It's an easy thing to put off. I've been told for nine years now that I should get a colonoscopy, but didn't until I had gastric issues. Imo, western medicine is largely reactive, rather than preventative. Eastern medicine seems more preventative. Both are often useful, at least to me.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: StopLookingAtMe

The mental prep is important -- thank you for mentioning that. It's important that you have trust in the medical team. I trusted mine, however my blood pressure was very elevated prior to the procedure. They hooked up the IV with saline and I meditated a bit while I was in the soon-to-be recovery room. That and just resting brought my BP down quite a bit.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

I've been putting it off 6 yrs now,but alas see Dr fri so my day is near,I hate hearing the storys

Why do people do that? I mean, I want them to be honest, but every single person I talked with focused mostly on the horror they went through, and very little info about making the process easier. No, I had to learn that from the internet.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Exactly. Don't say I'm going to feel a little "pinch" or that it might "smart a bit". I'm a grown-ass man. Tell me the truth.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

I had an easy time of all of it. I was lucky. Your procedure sounds much more difficult. Much respect. You did what you had to. I don't think I'd have been nearly as willing had I not be assured that I'd be heavily sedated.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Very good points, thank you!

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

My dad had colon cancer, so I figure any discomfort I might feel from the screening colonoscopy is well worth it, cuz cancer discomfort is a lot worse.

Absolutely. You life is changed for four or five days, and if all is well, that's it..... as compared with late detection of cancer which is a life-changer.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

"stupid in a fog" is a perfect description. You would think you'd know it, but apparently didn't. My Darlin' sure did though. I'm not used to having her point at the bed and command "bed! now!"

I might could get used to that though.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Wonderful. I hope everyone has an easy experience of it. Probably dependent upon our individual situations and physiologies.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Yep. There should be a pill of the same stuff that they send home with you. Not that it is needed, but sort of a party favor or adult gold star for having been a big boy/girl.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus
Oh my god, I laughed so hard I have tears in my eyes and my stomach hurts.

I just realized.

"Big thumbs up...
"

THAT pun was not intended!

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I will be 59 in a couple of weeks and I am scheduled for a colonoscopy on the third Monday. I am underwhelmed at the prospect.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Damn. Where were you last month?
Colonography is even worse. They blow your bowels up. It hurts for days after.
edit on 31-8-2016 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Oh, and I found your op highly entertaining! It was right on!

By the way? My gastroenterologist's Dr.'s name? Is Anil (pronouced A-NAL). I asked my primary care physician if anyone else has found the irony in his name? She just laughed and laughed!

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Argentus,

I always say that the universe supplies us with what we need; all we have to do is ask. Here you are. If this isn't proof positive, I don't know what is (I don't believe in coincidences).

I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy in two weeks and have been having a lot of anxiety over the prep (I too have been told it's horrendous). Thanks to your post, I now know that it doesn't have to be the horrid experience I thought it would be and I know how to pre-treat for the prep.

Thanks for the helpful info and peace of mind!!

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I hate twilight anaesthetics. Don't work on me at all.

I would just tell them to get on with it and request some opiate pain killer.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. I think it would have been far worse had I not take the steps I did. I hope you have a success story to share with us afterward.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I had to read up on colonography. Less invasive, but sounds like it is much more of a strain on the bowels and colon. Hope you're going to be okay, Trep.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

You really can't make this stuff up, can you? That's funny. Talk about being born for the profession!

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: timidgal

Wonderful! I'm glad the info was helpful, Timidgal. So sorry I'm so verbose; regretfully, there seems to be no cure for that.

I truly believe that the 3-4 days of mostly liquid diet really made things easier on "prep night". Your doctor may require you to have an enema just prior to the procedure. If you've done everything right, that final flush should produce mostly fluid. Good luck!

ETA: I also believe more in synchronicity than coincidence.

edit on 1/9/16 by argentus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join