It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa: Earth is warming at a pace 'unprecedented in 1,000 years'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: thinline

You understood nothing I typed. Hell I doubt you even read it. You CERTAINLY didn't read the article.

Unfortunately climate change denial is not about understanding the science it is about denying the science no matter what.....so they don't need to read it.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt
You created one less than two weeks ago. Whats your agenda?

...the earth is on fire and you are moaning about threads being created
what is YOUR agenda?

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

One Presidential hopeful believes it's a hoax and "bullsh^^**."

Why is it? Because it is.

link

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

originally posted by: gmoneystunt
a reply to: Krazysh0t

What do you suggest we do about it? Do you think this is a permanent trend?

Not quite permanent but ongoing for the foreseable future unless we change our ways. I am an optimistic person but with climate change I am pessimistic because of the all too obvious denial not just of climate science but of actual science itself. The problem is once it gets to the point where even the most stubborn politicians implement change it will be far too late. There is lag in the system which means it will take 2 or 3 decades to see the change. Look at the Ozone hole, recovering now but the changes were implemented 30 years ago.

NB it won't be permanent because at some point the climate will have changed that much that the consequences for the human race will be devastating and we will stop affecting the climate because we cant!!!
Concur with your sentiments.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   

You bring up that graph on a thread about NASA temperature records . When ever I see a hockey stick graph I get suspect , being a Canadian and all . First thing is that NASA only has about a 30 year record . Another thing is that temperature records using a thermometer are quite recent as well . Seeing that graph goes way back we can only assume it has some kind of proxy associated with it .

Mike Mann is famous for his hockey stick graph that he cherry picked a time frame on his proxy tree rings and then stitched a modern temperature record to it without informing anyone in the paper . Steve McIntyre at climate audit found out what he did and that hockey stick is history . It doesnt stop with Mike Mann because he also keeps his eye on the pea and newer papers are showing the same kind of tricks and data torture climateaudit.org...

So thinking that NASA produced that chart is silly . They didn't have a satellite back then and proxies have a ton of problems and are not very reliable . The tree rings seem to diverge and there are other factors beside heat for the width of tree rings ... Climate audit is the go to to understand most of the issues as they have some very smart cookies doing the math . climateaudit.org...

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

The part that scares the bejeezus out of me personally is all the methane in Siberia.

We're now seeing rapid venting of it as the permafrost melts.

www.techinsider.io...

Methane is 30 times thirty times more potent a heat trapping gas than CO2. Things are going to become exponentially worse.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

a reply to: Kandinsky

I know. It's bizarre how people point out time periods before human civilization was a thing. Yes, I understand the Earth is billions of years old, but human civilization ISN'T and it is FAR more fragile.

Priorities! It's possible an older generation needs to pass on before there's a stronger consensus for making the effort to reduce the rising temps. Yeah I say 'effort' because it's not a guarantee is it?

Unforeseen consequences

You may be right, but I really wish this wasn't the case. Because if we wait until then (especially with people living longer and longer all the time) it may be WAY too late. What with the delay in government policies taking effect and all. So that's another 30 years on top of whenever those old people die off. We may be looking at the middle of the century by then.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I even bolded the word derivative in my OP and you failed to read it...

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

The part that scares the bejeezus out of me personally is all the methane in Siberia.

www.techinsider.io...

Methane is 30 times thirty times more potent a heat trapping gas than CO2. Things are going to become exponentially worse.

Greenland is no better...

Though one thing about methane is that it breaks up naturally in the atmosphere. True it is a much worse greenhouse gas (as is H2O btw), but methane can be mitigated over time.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

the earth is on fire
a reply to: SaturnFX

Its been on fire for a long, long time.
At this point in time, the cause is irrelevant.
Coming up with a viable defense, even if its weak, unsustainable or unsuccessful.
People are learning what will and will not work.
It is totally impossible to overhaul or rearrange the entire world's infrastructure.
Therefore alternative methods had to be designed and put in place.

Buck

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
So... what is the statistical data for 1879 and prior?

*rolls eyes*
edit on 8/31/2016 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

www.techinsider.io...

Greenland is no better...

Though one thing about methane is that it breaks up naturally in the atmosphere. True it is a much worse greenhouse gas (as is H2O btw), but methane can be mitigated over time.

True, we did that with CFCs and reduced the ozone hole at the South Pole. But large amounts being vented all at once certainly does the world no favours.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   

So where did you get the graph ? have a link ?

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Where can I find numbers on the average temperature of Earth by year? This chart you present suggests the data is available, so I'd like to see the data by year instead of this chart.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Yes. That is certainly true.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I guess you didn't read my article either.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

You bring up that graph on a thread about NASA temperature records . When ever I see a hockey stick graph I get suspect , being a Canadian and all . First thing is that NASA only has about a 30 year record . Another thing is that temperature records using a thermometer are quite recent as well . Seeing that graph goes way back we can only assume it has some kind of proxy associated with it .

Mike Mann is famous for his hockey stick graph that he cherry picked a time frame on his proxy tree rings and then stitched a modern temperature record to it without informing anyone in the paper . Steve McIntyre at climate audit found out what he did and that hockey stick is history . It doesnt stop with Mike Mann because he also keeps his eye on the pea and newer papers are showing the same kind of tricks and data torture climateaudit.org...

So thinking that NASA produced that chart is silly . They didn't have a satellite back then and proxies have a ton of problems and are not very reliable . The tree rings seem to diverge and there are other factors beside heat for the width of tree rings ... Climate audit is the go to to understand most of the issues as they have some very smart cookies doing the math . climateaudit.org...

The lack of reliable and precise temperature measures beyond the past 50 or 100 years is the first thing that jumped into my mind when I saw that graph. To say we know precise temps going back 1000 years is comical. Sure, we might have an idea but no one knows with the level of precision that we would have today. They'd have to come up with some kind of proxy to smooth the dataset. You'd really have to see the underlying assumptions to know if the graph is even directionally correct. Just because it is from NASA doesn't mean the underlying data and assumptions are valid.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Problem is we'll hold on to the status quo until it's much too late.
Netherlands plan to ban petrol and gas cars in 2025, the fact that they call it too radical shows how stupid we collectively are. It's too little too late. Even in a best case scenario by 2025 we will have arrived at a more than 5°C average warming.
That's deadly to most plants, sea and land animals.
So yeah enjoy the next 5-10 years, because after that...

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: wayforward

Where can I find numbers on the average temperature of Earth by year? This chart you present suggests the data is available, so I'd like to see the data by year instead of this chart.

Read the article. All of its data is sourced if you'd click on the links in the article. You know, expend some effort?

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

These are from the linked site so members don't have to click any links...

How is Today’s Warming Different from the Past? Earth has experienced climate change in the past without help from humanity. We know about past climates because of evidence left in tree rings, layers of ice in glaciers, ocean sediments, coral reefs, and layers of sedimentary rocks. For example, bubbles of air in glacial ice trap tiny samples of Earth’s atmosphere, giving scientists a history of greenhouse gases that stretches back more than 800,000 years. The chemical make-up of the ice provides clues to the average global temperature.
Link

Based on all the available evidence Earth goes through spikes and troughs of varying temperatures. Up and down and up and down. They have typically taken about 5000 years to change by 5 degrees. On current projections that 5 degrees could become 6 degrees and occur in the next 80 years...NOT over 5000 years.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join