It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

"Alt-Right": A Movement? An Ideology? An Ethnicity? WHAT is it?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I'm still scratching my head over this one, especially since I have a feeling that my style of anti-Obama / anti-Hillary / anti-SJW types of arguments this summer would have me landed plump on that who what huh list.

So please, somebody, articulate for me & everyone (via definitions) how do we even classify what this "Alt-Right" thing even is (i.e. a movement, or political party, or ideology, or etc).

I still dont get it, as, if it can't even be classified then how can anybody else?!?
edit on 31-8-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

This alt-right thing to me is just another label to place and then to demonize. Doesn't this fall in line with the Saul Alinsky tactics?

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   

I think the nature of Alt right is that it's decentralised and spread through social media, rather than something that belongs to a particular party.

I do think that those with an agenda are trying to toxify the whole thing rather than engage with some of the ideas, but that's all that ever happens isn't it?

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   

hillaryclinton.com has defined it as

The alternative right, commonly known as the alt-right, is defined by the Southern Poverty Law Center (an organization that tracks hate groups), as a “set of far-right ideologies at the core of which is a belief that ‘white identity’ is under attack by multicultural forces using ‘political correctness’ and ‘social justice’ to undermine white people and ‘their’ civilization.”

In other words: This is not conservatism or the Republican Party. This is a movement that fosters anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant, anti-multiculturalism, and anti-women rhetoric. This is a white supremacist movement, and one that Trump has not only refused to denounce—it’s one he actively courts.

edit on 31-8-2016 by Sublimecraft because: clarified link

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

The alternative right, commonly known as the alt-right, is defined by the Southern Poverty Law Center (an organization that tracks hate groups), as a “set of far-right ideologies at the core of which is a belief that ‘white identity’ is under attack by multicultural forces using ‘political correctness’ and ‘social justice’ to undermine white people and ‘their’ civilization.”

In other words: This is not conservatism or the Republican Party. This is a movement that fosters anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant, anti-multiculturalism, and anti-women rhetoric. This is a white supremacist movement, and one that Trump has not only refused to denounce—it’s one he actively courts.

And she was pretty spot on.

Here is how the Alt-Right define themselves.

An Establishment Conservative’s Guide To The Alt-Right

The alt-right, explained in its own words

But the most popular tweets, the ones that have been shared hundreds or thousands of times, tend to repeat three related themes. There’s an overwhelming frustration with concepts like feminism, multiculturalism, political correctness and (especially) white guilt/privilege, which members of the alt-right describe as having jeopardized their own identity or social standing.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Hrmmm....

Well, "white identity" IS under attack, by PC, which IS racism!

As such, I'm against it, as I'm against the War On Drugs which targets minorities. That's my rhetoric.

If that (being anti-PC) makes me "Alt-Right" then so be it, although I dont care for their smear notions.

Under this notion, then the definition is its an anti-PC "ideology"? Does that include anybody anti-PC??? If so I have a hard time categorizing it as an proper Ideology,therefore we're still lost under my impression of this whole affair...

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

But it's counter part AKA "black lives matter" is just fine to them I Would bet
edit on 31-8-2016 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Okay, so you're agreeing that the RACIAL targeting of whites has made white people react (naturally), and that is what defines "Alt-Right"? So counter-racists are "Alt-Right", and are therefore racists?

Woah, what a mindjob!!!

I'll let you clarify on this, but please do be sure and apply a proper category definition to the notion you present... pretty please!

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Okay, so you're agreeing that the RACIAL targeting of whites has made white people react

No.

Your premise if false, so the rest of your question makes no sense.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Alrighty then!

Please do articulate this snafu in understanding, for us all...

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Almighty then!

Please do articulate this snafu in understanding, for us all...

You are a confusing individual.

You tried to attribute me agreeing to something, that from what I can tell, you just made up out of the blue.

Okay, so you're agreeing that the RACIAL targeting of whites has made white people react

No, I do not agree with that statement at all, for the simple fact that I have no idea what you mean by "RACIAL targeting of whites", nor do I think that is even a thing.

Also, no one is made to react, people choose to react.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Okay. You could instead of making th entire the discussion about the miscommunication itself, make it about finally understanding your categorization I'm begging for (if you have one).

HASHTAG:
#killallwhitemen

Nuff said on any notion Straight White Men aren't under attack. I can go on, but if you lack the understanding instead please just click the "Nu-Nazi's" link in my sig. Herein I hope we can stay on point with how to even categorize what this "Alt-Right" "thing" supposedly even "is".

I'm truly trying to understand this noun.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
It's another Prog inspired attack on free speech by calling YOU and I hate mongers because of conspiracies.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

That cartoon is hillaryous!

Huma should have a nightstand with a weiner in a jar on her side of the bed.
edit on 31-8-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Sadly ironic seeing people who clearly subscribe to the worldview pushed by alt-right media trying to argue that they're being demonized/unfairly labeled while they conform exactly to the thrust of multiple definitions.

If you feel your white identity is under large scale attack, particularly a white male identity, especially a white male christian identity — and if you're really a brainwashed useful idiot — your white male Christian heterosexual identity, then you're probably a victim of the non-stop flood of garbage from the alt-right.

If the only sources you feel are reliable are: The Gateway Pundit, The Conservative Treehouse, Weazel Zippers, Breitbart, WND, Infowars/Prison Planet and a host of wordpress blogs with "patriot" in the name, you've probably been mainlining alt-right propaganda for years. Thanks Drudge!

Do you obsessively rant about "political correctness?" Talk more about BlackLivesMatter than 99% of black people? Use the term "Social Justice Warrior" hundreds of times a week and generally whine like a scared little girl? Believe absolutely anything you see in YouTube videos? Think that Mark Dice and Paul Joseph Watson are journalists? Do you find yourself saying, "what about Chicago?" "the Irish had it worse!" or "of course the mainstream media is silent!" (whenever somebody posts a story about a white woman killed by a black person)? Do you think Sharia law is an impending threat to your freedom? Find yourself agreeing whole-heartedly with Pamela Gellar?

Well you get the picture.

The link to "conspiracies" btw is courtesy of the likes of Alex Jones and the "truth movement" which was co-opted nearly at the beginning by individuals selling the belief that everything is a conspiracy against whites (white Christians, white Christian males, etc).

Welcome to the modern day know-nothings. Enjoy the distorted perception of well.. everything... and your own brand of critical thought crushing political correctness.

Yeah there are idiot college students who get butthurt over cultural "appropriation" and need "safe spaces," critical race theorist professors blathering about "microagressions," third-wave feminist Tumblr misandrists and even the far less common black separatists on Twitter with #killallwhitemen hashtags but how much of the general population do these people actually represent? Less than .25%? .5%?

How many have any of you actually encountered in your day to day life versus the number you've come across on-line or more likely had pointed out to you in a YouTube video or by some wingnut blog?

I know a lot of sanctimonious hipsters who like to prove how enlightened they are by criticizing people for their "insensitivity" but on the balance, I'd say I know a whole lot more people these days who 10-15 years ago would have been considered part of the far-right fringe.

I find them equally disdainful myself but I encounter more "alt-right" types these days by far. Maybe I have a distorted perception because of ATS or my one wingnut uncle and a few of my more redneck friends who post dumbass crap on Facebook?

Maybe we should just get it over with and elect Trump so the whining can end. Maybe we can crop dust the Midwest with aerosolized Midol? Or maybe some of you could start wondering why a middle class, middle aged, heterosexual white guy like myself isn't afraid of losing his "identity" and you are? I'd literally vomit on a person who said "cisgender" to me IRL and I could give a f about political correctness. Why am I not scared? Why isn't anyone calling me a racist? (and how often are you actually called a "racist" personally in contrast to the perception that you might be labeled one?)

Has the far-right just come to be composed of weak people? Are people like me (and hell, Paul Ryan for that matter) just blind? Or maybe, just maybe, there's been a whole lot of effort spent convincing a group of people that they're victims of every single minority under the sun even as they are part of the overwhelmingly dominant social group and among the least credible claimaints to victimhood on the planet.

Time for bed. Guess I can count all those bleeting alt-right sheep. One snowflake, two snowflakes, three snowflakes...
edit on 2016-8-31 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Sorry OP, I normally like your posts but how is your 'short comment' an opening post? I have never heard of Alt-right [seriously], so to me none of the comments here make sense. It would be nice when people make OPs to imagine those who may have no idea about the subject and give a short overview, maybe with some links, followed by an opinion.
Thanks.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Change Hillary's definition from "White men" to " western society" and you can now call me alt-right

There is an active undercurrent out there that does hate white men, sadly the most vocal part of that comes from deluded white women.
Talking about the Florida shooting with a lesbian "friend" it came out that due to the fact Im a white man Im the enemy and everything is my fault.
I seriously couldnt believe my ears and my jaw just dropped, since then Ive noticed it alot more.

Ok so now Ive been pigeon holed what else to I believe in?
edit on 31/8/2016 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

We are BEIGE I'm an artist ,not an albino...

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   
They have to make up names in order to categorize opposition, which also makes it easier to then sling mud.
By that, I mean it's easier to hurl the crap at a named movement rather than the individuals, who may have widely ranging views on a lot of topics, but are in agreement on some that the elites find uncomfortable.
Just lump them all together, find (or plant) someone who says something unsavoury, then demonize the "movement" in totality!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join