It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You almost died Saturday - "Earth Just Narrowly Missed..."

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

You contradict yourself, and have not explained your response.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawg61

rudimentary planetary defense system

I would guess the cost outweighs the likelihood. I'm not sure something rudimentary would do the job.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

Not the size that would be considered an ELE event maker...

A 50 foot diameter meteor won't cause an extinction level event. Said the same twice. What is the contradiction.

I got the impression you didn't think it would either.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

50-100ft?

Bring it. I'll take my chances.

What a title thou... lol

This is what you said. If we are saying the same thing, why would you reply to me? Hence, my interpretation in your broken English towards meaning the size didn't matter.

I get it now. Just not sure why you replied to me.
edit on 31-8-2016 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

your broken English

haha.

Yeah we are in agreement.

Sometimes people do reply when in agreement. But around here it can be a rare event.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawg61
We laugh because it missed.This time.What I can't understand is why the all countries cant work together for even a rudimentary planetary defense system against a ELE (Extinction level event)is beyond me.Maybe we deserve it?The few left alive won't be arguing politics then.I guarantee you..

Those evil bastards at NASA are working on it. The question is, it is too little, too late?
www.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

A 50 foot diameter meteor won't cause an extinction level event. Said the same twice. What is the contradiction.

I got the impression you didn't think it would either.

Unless it landed on your street. Then what? in your world, ELE. And depending on how close you live to Slayer, he might not have to worry too much about his stains. (But don't forget the dishes.)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Many people wrongly credit NASA with being the space police.

The discovery of NEOs is more of a world wide, collaborative effort, that actually has a lot less to do with NASA, than most people realize. The brunt of the legwork is done by amateurs, who then report their findings to the Minor Planet Center, who releases the findings, which are then confirmed by other astronomers. They use all of the observations to calculate the orbit and size.

Fun fact: These are also the reasons that NASA can't hide the horrible, destructive, doom-y truth from the world. You can't hide information from the very people that are providing it. If the "big one" (cue scary and dramatic music), people would know, because you can't keep thousands of astronomers around the globe quiet.

Hopefully this sneaky little guy will encourage those with eyes on the sky, around the world, to keep their eyes skyward. Some of these people have back yard observatories that are absolutely amazing.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Easy fix: just make a law against asteroids striking Earth, problem solved.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Well it seems that the normal eyes in the sky's are missing a lot lately.

Probably due to attentions addressed else where. Its ok, well just let Russia or China take the claim for other future space events.

But really I'm sure they (cough... NASA... cough excuse me) already know.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
While certainly not a life changing event, it would kind of depend on many variables on how we could possibly be affected by an object this size. It is all about the material (Iron, Chondritic, Achondritic), the speed, the trajectory and obviously the location.

The object that caused this was in the ballpark range of what is being talked about here. This was an Iron, with a rather steep trajectory, approximately 90 to 130 feet in diameter.

It is the Barringer Crater in Arizona. It happened approximately 50,000 years ago. The crater is nearly a mile wide and 570 feet deep. It is said that this had a "Kill" radius of about 50 miles, in which most everything living was annihilated around the impact point.

Bad enough for a land hit, but if something like this hit in water off the coast of the U.S., the resulting tsunami could do much more damage, depending upon population densities.

So yes, not a world wide event, but an object this size, if it did not detonate high in the atmosphere and indeed hit the Earth on land or water, it would really be a place you would not want to be any where near.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Well since they didn't see this one till it passed, this scenario might be used to cause action on building spaced based weapons... Carrol Rossin....

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I guess Giant Meteor 2016 is just another lying politician after all, making campaign promises he can't deliver.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Ocean levels will be a foot higher and our temperature will be 1° hotter in 650,000 more years if we don't get a handle on this global warming. Priorities, Tempter, priorities. In my opinion, we should transfer funding from AGW to finding these asteroids. However, my only question is this, if it was that close to us, why didn't we see it streak across the sky? We can see Halley's Comet from over 17 million miles away. Well, you could if you were old enough to look for it in 1986. I was 7 and remember it vividly.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnonymousTi
We do seem pretty lucky on this little blue planet. Sometimes it makes you wonder if there really is an extraterrestrial force protecting us. Our asteroid protection really does suck though, needs way more funding. As for that asteroid... it wasn't even close.

I thought that was why Reagan gave us the Star Wars program back in the 80's. Not only to protect us against Russian missiles, but also against asteroids.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: derfreebie

50-100ft?

What a title thou... lol

How big is big enough? I don't think any rock that size,
even hypersonic and staying intact could do much more
than take out a floor or two at the Dirksen Fed Building.
OOh wait, get the electromagnets and hope there's some
iron content next time around... I have my reasons.

PS If there were enough subs around for that rack of
power amps; your ava could have just obliterated the
poor little sucker under 11000 feet. Just sayin...
Mwaaaaa-dweeb. That's a lota wierding module...
for Wembley.

You building a hover board or time machine?

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
If you were fairly close to the impact site, the best thing to do is get inside of a refrigerator. I'm not kidding, it's probably the strongest thing around. And it can withstand a high impact.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

originally posted by: derfreebie

50-100ft?

What a title thou... lol

How big is big enough? I don't think any rock that size,
even hypersonic and staying intact could do much more
than take out a floor or two at the Dirksen Fed Building.
OOh wait, get the electromagnets and hope there's some
iron content next time around... I have my reasons.

PS If there were enough subs around for that rack of
power amps; your ava could have just obliterated the
poor little sucker under 11000 feet. Just sayin...
Mwaaaaa-dweeb. That's a lota wierding module...
for Wembley.

You building a hover board or time machine?

As far as the Dirksen Building and a little assisted Divine
Intervention, just wishful thinking. I would so love to
be able to bend some significant spacetime just to..
.. T&C would get me a posting suspension at least.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join