It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

You almost died Saturday - "Earth Just Narrowly Missed..."

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Earth Just Narrowly Missed Getting Hit by an Asteroid

On Saturday, astronomers discovered a new asteroid, just a few hours before it almost hit us.

The asteroid is called 2016 QA2, and it missed the Earth by less than a quarter of the distance to the moon. That puts it about three times as far away from Earth as our farthest satellites. And we never saw it coming.

So how did 2016 QA2 sneak up on us like that? For this particular asteroid, the answer seems to be that it has a very peculiar orbit. It's highly elliptical, which means it can usually be found hanging out by either Mars or Venus, but rarely ends up near Earth.

But another, more worrying reason is that there aren't a lot of people looking for potentially dangerous asteroids. While Congress has tasked NASA with finding 90 percent of asteroids 450 feet or larger by 2020, the agency is nowhere close to that goal. Funding for asteroid detection is very low, and most telescopes that could detect asteroids of this size won't come online for a few more years.

And even if NASA was on track to meet that goal, they still would have missed 2016 QA2, which is only about 50-100 feet. Asteroids of this size are so small that there's almost nothing we can do to detect them. And they can still cause a lot of damage. The Chelyabinsk asteroid, which exploded over Russia in 2013, damaged multiple buildings and injured over 1500 people. That asteroid was only about 55 feet wide.

As far as asteroids go, we've been pretty lucky. But unless we seriously ramp up our asteroid detection capabilities, it's only a matter of time before something much worse happens.

www.popularmechanics.com...

www.minorplanetcenter.net... &utm_campaign=buffer

There's really nothing we can do about it, either. I agree with the topic. We're probably much more lucky than we give credit for.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Damn.

Maybe well get the next one?

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkmadness

After reading both the OP and your comment, all I can do right now is laugh hysterically.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   
We do seem pretty lucky on this little blue planet. Sometimes it makes you wonder if there really is an extraterrestrial force protecting us. Our asteroid protection really does suck though, needs way more funding. As for that asteroid... it wasn't even close.
edit on 30-8-2016 by AnonymousTi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousTi

Who knows.. what's going on in Antarctica?

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   
It's official: Giant Meteor has dropped out of the race for 2016.

Too bad too I was starting to warm up to some of his policies.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnonymousTi
We do seem pretty lucky on this little blue planet. Sometimes it makes you wonder if there really is an extraterrestrial force protecting us. Our asteroid protection really does suck though, needs way more funding. As for that asteroid... it wasn't even close.

Yea, that extraterrestrial force is basically Jupiter.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
It's official: Giant Meteor has dropped out of the race for 2016.

Too bad too I was starting to warm up to some of his policies.

Well played

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad

Thanks I'll be here all week! *Takes a bow*

*Ba-dum ching*

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Even if we did see the asteroid coming i doubt we could even do much about it except maybe try to push it away with nuclear blasts.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkmadness

WE will never catch a break...

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Heading is excessively sensational for an asteroid 50-100 feet in size.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   

I'm reminded of Maxwell Smart for some reason

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Statistically, since I live at the edge of a 20x25km crater, I am either secure or live in a false sense of security.
Probably the last.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

No, we did not almost die, especially if that is the size of the asteroid (50-100 feet).

And no, we don't need a ton of funding to search for asteroids that may potentially hit earth, because we have zero mechanism for affecting the trajectory in such a way as to keep earth out of harm's way. How about we develop the tech first, THEN maybe fund people to look for things from which to protect earth.

And if it's anything that could possibly cause catastrophic harm on a global scale, Bruce Willis won't be around to implant a nuclear weapon to cleave the asteroid in two.

Sometimes, things are just out of our control--we should accept that as an intelligent species. What I can't get behind is advocating for the use of even more tax dollars to fund the employment of even more people looking for things that won't really matter because we can't do anything about them (yet).

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Well, just remember, an impact of a decent-sized asteroid would affect way more than just the immediate area of impact.

I think that your security blanket has holes in it

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
50-100ft?

Bring it. I'll take my chances.

What a title thou... lol

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
50-100ft?

Bring it. I'll take my chances.

What a title thou... lol

How big is big enough? I don't think any rock that size,
even hypersonic and staying intact could do much more
than take out a floor or two at the Dirksen Fed Building.
OOh wait, get the electromagnets and hope there's some
iron content next time around... I have my reasons.

PS If there were enough subs around for that rack of
power amps; your ava could have just obliterated the
poor little sucker under 11000 feet. Just sayin...
Mwaaaaa-dweeb. That's a lota wierding module...
for Wembley.
edit on 31-8-2016 by derfreebie because: I wish no ill upon the inhabitants, just the symbolic black edifice of evil.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey
;-) Let me live my false sense of security. There´s not much we can do either if it´s a big one. The one that went down here was supposed to be like 1.5km in diameter doing a whopping 20km/s.

Called the Ries-Event.
edit on 31-8-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

please pardon the silly question, but even if we knew of a giant rock heading straight for us, what can we do about it? Bruce Willis is getting a bit long in the tooth these days.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join