It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WOW Part 2?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
observer.com...

Seems this has been kept under wraps for over a year and this is probably the most salient part from the article.

“The signal is provocative enough that the RATAN-600 researchers are calling for permanent monitoring of this target,” said Gilster. And that’s exactly what is transpiring. As of last night, the SETI institute is diverting its Allen Telescope Array in northern California to investigate while their counterparts at METI International (Messaging Extraterrestrial Intelligence) will use Panama’s Boquete Optical Observatory.

Should be interesting to see how it all pans out as so far, there really doesn't seem to be a natural explanation for what was monitored.
edit on 30-8-2016 by FireMoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: FireMoon

The system the signal originated is only 95 light years distant. That means they are possibly receiving our earliest TV and radio transmissions already. That is of course if this does not turn out to be some form of lensing effect or natural phenomena.

By the way this has already been posted.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 30-8-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
what a time
to be alive

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

The system the signal originated is only 95 light years distant. That means they are possibly receiving our earliest TV and radio transmissions already. That is of course if this does not turn out to be some form of lensing effect or natural phenomena.

Ahh thanks for that, didn't show up in this forum when i did a search hence my starting the topic here.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

No problem, its an interesting topic.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Sadly SETI aren't all that impressed with the possible signal.

I was one of the many people who received the the email with the subject "Candidate SETI SIGNAL DETECTED by Russians from star HD 164595 by virtue of RATAN-600 radio telescope." Since the email did come from known SETI researchers, I looked over the presentation. I was unimpressed. In one out of 39 scans that passed over star showed a signal at about 4.5 times the mean noise power with a profile somewhat like the beam profile. Of course SETI@home has seen millions of potential signals with similar characteristics, but it takes more than that to make a good candidate. Multiple detections are a minimum criterion.

Because the receivers used were making broad band measurements, there's really nothing about this "signal" that would distinguish it from a natural radio transient (stellar flare, active galactic nucleus, microlensing of a background source, etc.) There's also nothing that could distinguish it from a satellite passing through the telescope field of view. All in all, it's relatively uninteresting from a SETI standpoint.
setiathome.berkeley.edu...

Still hoping that something turns up but it sounds like this isn't it.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: FireMoon

Should be interesting to see how it all pans out as so far, there really doesn't seem to be a natural explanation for what was monitored.

Well, no KNOWN natural explanation. There is quite a bit about the natural universe we don't understand, so the explanation could still be natural, yet beyond our current knowledge of natural explanations...

...Or perhaps it really IS an artificial signal from a technological species...who knows? But "having no known natural explanation" is not the same as "having no natural explanation".

It's a similar situation with Tabby's Star (the potential Dyson Swarm star). They have no good natural explanation for the readings from Tabby's Star, so it may very well be that it IS the result of an Alien Dyson swarm, but then again the readings may just be a yet-to-be-understood unknown natural phenomenon.

edit on 2016-8-30 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
It would be interesting to see/hear the signal. If it is an artificial signal, then there must be some sort of pattern in it that we might be able to decipher?

At a distance of 110 light-years away from earth — where there are star systems, our radio signals are ever expanding outward and have been for a long time— our very first radio broadcasts are beginning to arrive there.

The question then is, how much signal degradation is there at that distance ...and even if they were unable to see or hear Laurel and Hardy would there still be a discernible pattern in the noise?

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
wow coud be something

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I'm not real optimistic about this. It's on a frequency used heavily by the military and may just be a bounceback. Or something else totally natural. It does bear investigating further though

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Bear in mind that we wouldn't receive any response until 95 years after our first transmission reached there. So, if it is a signal, it's them initiating contact rather than them responding to us.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

200 or so years before we could expect a response from any signal we send in there direction today, but we have potently been broadcasting in all directions since the late 1920s.

I think it will turn out to be a natural effect or some other form of phenomenon but here is hoping i wrong.

It would be nice to know we are not alone or should i say have proof we are not alone.

top topics

join