It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please fix your session issues.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

whoa
Thank You.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
a reply to: OfTheVoid46

Getting logged-out when hitting the post or reply button is a pain, specially if we had just written a long post.
Yes it's a pain, it's happened to me exactly once in 7 years though so it's an infrequent occurrence, and most people post less than we do so it's even less likely to happen to them, but it is possible.

Last time I checked the cookies, they expired in 30 days, and I think that's still the case, so how bad does your luck have to be for that 30 day cookie to expire in the exact instant you're writing your post? It can happen but it shouldn't happen too often. But as others have said, use a text editor so your long message won't be lost completely. Then if you are unlucky enough to get caught by the 30 day cookie expiring when you post your reply, all you have to do is log back in and copy and paste your reply from the text editor which only takes a few seconds.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
Yes it's a pain, it's happened to me exactly once in 7 years though so it's an infrequent occurrence, and most people post less than we do so it's even less likely to happen to them, but it is possible.

I think that happened to me once or twice, but that doesn't surprise me, as sometimes I read a post in the morning, go to work and only answer during my lunch break.

Also, the longer the post the more likely it is for it to happen, as the person will take longer to write it. In an extreme case, it's sure to happen if someone takes 30 days to write a post.

Last week I wrote a long post (so long that it didn't fit in a single post) and just before posting it I selected all the text, copied it and hit the "reply" button, that way I would have the whole text ready to paste in a new answer if I had the need.
And it only takes two two-key combinations, Ctrl+A to select all text and Ctrl+C to copy.

edit on 1/9/2016 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: OfTheVoid46
I figured rather than sit here and make reply after reply after reply I would sit down and respond to multiple posts on one of my threads at once.

This site usually leaves me logged in for a long time but this time after I carefully revised repeatedly my multiple replies and click the lil button to submit, it got stuck on postit.php ... no message, just the spinning icon ... 5 minutes later.

So I opened a new tab figuring the site must have logged me out and well, it logged me out.
I haven't bothered to check exactly how you're keeping sessions alive here whether it be purely cookies or if you maintain tokens in a database but either way these could easily be extended on a page visit without a load.

I've seen some replies from mods on here about "how hard" things would be like, the load it would take to put into effect the suggestion made by a member to fix the millions of stars and "all of the programming time" it would take. I'm sorry but a script to fix that would take 5-10 minutes, maybe an hour if whoever codes this is reallllyy picky and actually double-checking everything. It could be executed with microsleeps prevent server load.

Anyway point is I know this could be fixed and I'm defensive because I've seen some replies made to other members about simple suggestions, from people that likely knew nothing about programming and think it's much harder than it is.

Please don't hop on me for making this suggestion. It is truly annoying to spend over 30 minutes which I could have spent replying to business emails instead and making money just to have the time wasted.

I've avoided boards like this because I didn't want to take the time to share but thought it was important to but ......... I mean that is just .... if I went on this would belong in the rant forum instead.

You want others to use an hour of their time because you lost 30 minutes of yours.

Time wasted? Surely you'd of wasted that time anyway if you were posting on a free message board.

It's not like it stopped you from doing business emails or "making money".
You took the decision that 30 mins of your time to try and post messages on ATS was better than doing the above.

Don't throw your toys out, no-one at ATS has any obligation to make any changes to appease you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join