It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Who Should I Vote For....Can ANY Of You Do This?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I swore I would NEVER create a thread in this forum......looks like I was wrong!

A couple of weeks ago, my son's Boy Scout troop held their elections. These elections were for who would be in positions of leadership from the Senior Patrol Leader all the way down to the individual Patrol Leaders.

Each boy was given a chance to speak and explain why they would be good for the position they were running for, and how they would do it.

After the elections were over, I'd randomly ask some of the boys who they voted for and why. All of the answers were along the lines of "I think Tommy will do a good job as our Historian." or "I think Steve is a natural leader and will help manage the troop well."

Do you know what I didn't hear from them? What I didn't hear from them was:

"Well, Tommy has a face full of acne and he says stupid things sometimes, so no way I'm voting for him, and any one that does is an idiot!"

Or

"Well Steve got suspended from school once because he got into a fight, so no way I'm trusting him! I'll vote for anyone but him!"

This is pretty much what the 2016 election cycle has been: Get The Other Guy!

Trash The Other Guy.

Trash The Supporters!

It's pretty much all I see in the media. Trashing Trump. Trashing Hillary. I hardly see ANYTHING telling me that I should vote for one of them (or someone else) because of something good about them.

Even the independent candidates are doing it! Gary Johnson and Jill Stein ads are almost all "You don't have to vote for either one of those horrible people! You have a third choice!"

Here on ATS? oh.....my........god.......I have seen some of the most horrible behavior in my life on here during this election cycle.

People who get so wrapped up, so angry, so full of themselves thinking they are better than everyone else, to the point where, they break the rules and end up in trouble with us.

Enough so that even when we talk to them about it, they go right back to that kind of behavior!

What I do not see on here is reasons why I should vote for someone in a good way. People painting their candidate in a good light only. Instead, almost every thread here on ATS is:

Trash the other person and their supporters.

So here is the deal. I want to see if any of you can be as good as the Boy Scouts in my son's troop.

Sell Me Your Candidate

Explain WHY your candidate is the best one. What they will do for me, for my country and for the world.

Here's the rules:

You can NOT trash any other candidate.
You can NOT trash their supporters.
You can NOT use the excuse "Because it will keep you from voting for So-And-So"

Can ANY of you do it? Can ANY of you actually sell me your candidate in a civilized way, that does NOT involve having to trash the opposition?

You can try to sell me ANY one of the candidates: Trump, Hillary, Johnson, Stein,....we'll even do write in candidates, meaning you can try to sell me those who did not get their nomination (IE Cruz, Bernie, Rubio, Carson.....uh.....uhm.....that other guy that was Democratic that none of us ever heard of.......).......even your dog or cat.

But: you can not trash anyone. You must sell me your candidate based upon their own merits, and their own merits alone.

Can you do it?

BONUS CHALLENGE:

Let's say you post a good selling post of your candidate....but then someone else comes in and just trashes them, responding to you........here is the bonus challenge: Can you ignore that post and stick to selling your candidate with good things about them only?

I'll be brutally honest with you all: I don't think you guys can do it. I do not think you guys can resist the temptation to bash Trump. I do not think you guys can resist saying something bad about Hillary. I also do not think you guys can not keep from responding to those that do.......

Prove me wrong....and sell me your candidate.

And now you know why I put this in the Mud Pit....I expect the poo to fly quite a lot in here.

ETA: Forgot to say: those of you who can do this, can stick to selling their candidate without bashing anyone else, and who also do not respond to the bashing, I will applaud your post for meeting the challenge.
edit on 8/30/2016 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I don't really have anything good to say about any of them.

I'm not sure I've lived through an election where I had anything good to say about any of them.

The worst of the worst humans seem to bubble up to the top of government.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Trump states that he will lower taxes. With the poor economy, low GDP (month after month) who wouldn't want more of their own money in their pockets?

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
I don't really have anything good to say about any of them.

I'm not sure I've lived through an election where I had anything good to say about any of them.

The worst of the worst humans seem to bubble up to the top of government.

Fair enough.

But let me ask you this: Do you know someone in your life that you think would be right for the job?

If so: sell them to me. Tell me why you think your neighbor Bob would be perfect, or that woman that helped you out a the store.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

That's a good first start!......but the job of POTUS has a lot of other things to it. Let me hear some more.

You can do it! (RAH RAH BIS BOOM RAH!) (trying to encourage and cheer you on).

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I am not voting, I don't want a president this election.. I personally wish everyone would boycott the election, impeach Obama. take taxes off alcohol so my beer is cheaper, $.50 a gallon gas, and give me my money back that Obamacare robbed from me.. now that is my wish

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I look at what is most important to me.
The economy.
Trump is much more in tune than Hillary in that area.
He is also smart enough to surround himself with good people in areas where he falls short on experience. Good leaders delegate.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I'll take that challenge.

I plan right now on voting for Trump. I believe and feel our country needs NEW energy, and Mr. Trump has shown me that. I like that he is a successful business man. Our economy is at an anemic growth of just about 1%. Trump wants to lower taxes for Business, both small and large, which will allow our businesses to start to grow.

He intends to challenge the trade agreements that we have entered into over the last 20 years and make the playing field level. This will stimulate companies from leaving the U.S. and going overseas.

He plans to reduce taxes for the middle class. Because of the cost of living over the last decade, most people's income has been stagnant or has been lowered.

Security. I believe in making our borders safe and to protect our citizens from the onslaught of 10's of thousands of illegals coming into our country, costing money to track them, pay for their education, a slew of other benefits they receive while our citizens and 'legal' immigrants who did it the right way suffer. We need to protect our country, start enforcing the laws that are already on the books, and I believe Trump and his Administration will make this a priority.....to make us safe.

I believe Trump 'loves America, and wants to unite us. We are currently divided, I've seen nothing like it since the '60's. I really believe he wants to solve the inner city problems and the daily loss of life on the streets of most of our major cities.
He seems to have Law Enforcement behind him, and they believe he can make things better. Right now, a lot of Americans just don't feel safe on their own home streets. I believe Trump will make an effort and hopefully progress to thwart this civil unrest, and bring WE the people together to look out for one another. As an example, his visit to LA during the floods....He said Americans care and will come to help. That is leadership.

Lastly, foreign policy. I will admit, this is probably his weakest link. However, when JFK was elected, he faced multiple foreign issue problems, but was commended by the people that he surrounded himself with. I believe Trump will do the same. He will run it like a boardroom. Bring in the best talent, discuss options, set a plan, tell the public what the plan is, without tipping off the enemy as necessary, and do what is needed to be done to win.

Bottom line, I believe Trump that he wants to fix the economy, keep america safe, bring jobs back, protect our borders and try to unite a bitterly divided nation. What the hell do we have to lose?

Peace

KD

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Can we trash our own candidate? Like say which policies we disagree with? I personally am a believer in being honest in my opinion, good and bad.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I think Hillary will make a good President because she is an experienced politician who has worked in international and domestic situations. A Hillary election will guarantee 1 to 4 SCOTUS liberal choices. Democrats are more open to marijuana deenforcement. I also like the way the country has been going under Obama (economy is doing excellent, violence is at its lowest point in history, freedoms extended to more minority demographics, etc.) and I wouldn't mind seeing more of that. Oh yeah, the Democrats are also the only political party that wants to do something about MM Climate Change. These are just a few things off the top of my head that don't involve putting down the other side.
edit on 30-8-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

That's a good first start!......but the job of POTUS has a lot of other things to it. Let me hear some more.

You can do it! (RAH RAH BIS BOOM RAH!) (trying to encourage and cheer you on).

You see? That's the problem! Presidents aren't supposed to be "everything to everyone". Why should we expect government to take care of us?

Isn't that OUR job to take care of us ourselves?

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Disagreeing with stance or policy your candidate has is not really trashing or bashing. It's fine and is expected. Not everyone will agree with everything.

What I am trying to see is if ATS members can avoid being like they are in this thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Perfect example of how people are acting this election cycle. (horribly).

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

What I meant was: POTUS is not just about our economy.

POTUS signs bills into laws. Represents us internationally, and is also the Commander In Chief of our military forces.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   
The candidate I speak of does not need to engage in the typical negative, partisan bickering you mentioned in the OP. Their message, for as many years as I can recall, has been one that highlights the reality that we live in such a small world and we need to work together...love one another.

From California to Florida and everywhere in between, they have managed to steal the hearts and minds of the young and old alike with their positive message. But a true leader must reach-out to our allies across the globe. My candidate has done that by bringing that message to places like Japan and France. Letting their people know that they are also part of our small little world.

My candidate embodies all that we seek for in leadership. Someone that is all ears and will listen to the people. Someone that will take the time to shake everyone's hand and make you feel like they were there just for you. Someone that has a proven track record spanning many decades.

On election day, you have a choice. You can vote for all that is negative, or you can vote for a candidate that has something truly magical to bring in to our lives and can change the political landscape for years to come.

On election day...vote for Mickey Mouse!

Mickey Mouse 2016!

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Is not getting big money donors and super pacs as a positive considered a type of thrashing? As it's sort of a comparative thing?

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

What I meant was: POTUS is not just about our economy.

POTUS signs bills into laws. Represents us internationally, and is also the Commander In Chief of our military forces.

True.

But our economy should be the focus.

But. . .

As for the military?
Trump has a 10-step plan to revamp the VA. It's clear, common sense goals to providing better care for our veterans.

Trump also stated that he'd consider term-limits on congress. I'd actually like that to extend to Supreme Court also, but that's just me.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Very good! Well done!

I'm more of a Donald Duck man myself, but you've got me taking Mickey a lot more seriously.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

Is not getting big money donors and super pacs as a positive considered a type of thrashing? As it's sort of a comparative thing?

It should be noted that getting donated money from rich people isn't inherently evil. Rich people can be altruistic too; plus there are also rich people with positive agendas. I really have started to hate this narrative that JUST because someone gets money from a big name donor or knows a big name donor then that means they are corrupt. It is just such lazy researching of a candidate.

Sure we'd all want politicians to beholden to more of the public than JUST the rich, but ALSO just because a politician is beholden to a rich person doesn't mean they don't ever work in the public's interest either.

Plus at the end of the day, you need money to get elected. A LOT of it. This is something that is impossible to get around. The only reason Trump can get away with self-funding his campaign is because he is already rich. If he was like you or I, he'd have to be out there begging for donations like everyone else and I'm sure those uber-rich people would be talked to just as much as the little guy.
edit on 30-8-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

O.o

krazy posted in pit thread and didn't bash Trump or Conservatives????

wow....okay....cautious optimism that maybe you guys can pull this off!

Stars for you!

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

Well, thinking your candidate is being "bought" certainly isn't a good thing...and let us face it: it's something that gets brought up.

However, for this thread, try to focus on the good things about your candidate.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join