It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Northrop captures beam control award for laser fighter jet demo

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:26 AM
link   

The US Air Force awarded a $39 million contract to Northrop Grumman to develop the laser beam control portion of the Air Force Research Laboratory’s podded electric laser concept for fifth- and sixth-generation fighter jets.
Northrop’s work will focus on assembling the set of opticsthat the laser feeds through, he says. The system resembles a telescope which rides in a gimbal that can pivot in any direction to shoot the laser.
“Part of [Northrop’s] job is to send the beam out to the target and be able to correct it so that if there’s turbulence between you and the target, that you can hit as high a power density as possible on the target to be effective,” he says.

Emphasis added my be.
Here is the source:
Northrop captures beam control award for laser fighter jet demo

Finally, direct energy weapons are to be integrated officially into fighter jets.
They speak about the system resembling a telescope.
They speak about optics that the beam feeds through.
Isn´t there a much better way without adaptive optics?
Why do it this way if you can phase conjugate with an adaptive mirror?

Phase Conjugation
Phase conjugation is a fascinating phenomenon with very unusual characteristics and properties. It operates somewhat like holography, but it is a dynamic hologram, whose "holographic plate" is defined by interfering wave fronts in a nonlinear optical medium, rather than etched as a static pattern on a glass plate.

cns-alumni.bu.edu...

I guess it comes down to the wavelenghts and available materials to conjugate those wavelenghts?
Anyone?

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Biggest thing is accuracy through the atmosphere flying at a thousand plus miles an hour.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger
You mean the angle velocity of the turret?

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 04:54 AM
link   
...and stability..

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   
It comes down to electronics, in the end. Angle velocity is more of a problem if you´re against ground targets and can be solved by the right attack angle. I´m not an expert either, but I want to mentoin one of the biggest problem is bringing the energy to the target because of atmospheric scattering.
Of course, heat dissipation and the energy source as well.

The Boeing YAL-1 had big problems with heat, I´ve read they have to wait for the lensing system to cool down some time and repeating shots made those periods longer, with every shot. But don´t take my word for it, I just read this in a book.

That´s why I wonder that they use adaptive optics (more or less error prone than phase conjugated mirrors??).
Could be it´s more robust, I´d like to hear some opinions from members who know more about the topic, as far as they are allowed to tell, of course.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Phase conjugation means wavefront reversal, beam reflected back to the source.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius
I know. But that´s not all.
books.google.de... l=de&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjC2t_ruOnOAhXD0hoKHT6VDlEQ6AEIVTAG#v=onepage&q=phase%20conjugate%20targeting&f=false

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

The biggest problem with the YAL-1 was range. They had to be orbiting over hostile territory to hit a missile in the boost phase. A 747, even with a laser is just a giant target in that situation.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
I hoped you would join the thread

That´s something I did not consider. The way it was used was for missle defense in the first stages, at least in the context I got my information. But that would, too, mean they would be near the launch sites (enemy territory).

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Maybe they do use phase conjugation but just dont want to use that term.

Phase conjugations usage in classified systems is so vast that theres no way id talk about its applications too much. At least not on the internet. But its safe to say phase conjugation can do lots and lots of interesting and spooky things.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
If I would write that the article was not just a good vehicle to bring up the topic, I would consider that an unhonest statement.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Read a few articles recently suggesting that the US navy first used a laser to down an aircraft however the first documented use of a "Laser" to shoot down an aircraft was allegedly in 1973 by the Airforce at Kirtland.

According to this:ARPA's Project "Eighth Card" - a precursor to project "Delta" downed a MQM33B by burning a hole in its skin and destroying the control systems.

Can't find much out about Eighth Card but apparently it was part of a wider plan to develop a "laser plane" to accompany cold war strategic bombers.

Article says 2+ billion was spent on lasers between 1960 and 1980 then you have to factor in the avalanche of additional cash that must have poured in due to the SDI.

By 2016 (43 years later!!) - Even if you never actually got a "laser plane" as part of "Project Delta", you'd guess they almost certainly discovered some useful tricks along the way.

edit on 31-8-2016 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Jukiodone

NKC-135A. They had a target aircraft and a laser aircraft. They were shooting down air to air missiles with it in the late 70s.
edit on 8/31/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Just to add to Zaph's comment, pics of the NCK-135A with the laser lab on its roof:

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

They had another one that flew with them that had all kinds of odd patterns on the side of it that was a target aircraft.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Not sure I'd want to be flying in the target plane. Hope they remembered to keep the safety on the laser.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

It was mostly the targeting beam that they used to hit it. They calibrated against those spots on the side.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I wonder if they did something to the windows? I mean isn´t it a bit a safety issue? Maybe they wore glasses but 2kW is considerably high, although I guess they know what they do.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

They had detachable panes that fit to the windscreen on that side. They didn't black the window out but came close.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   

They are a great fit for it. Good on them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join