It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Catholics are not Christian?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaceGoatFart

originally posted by: coomba98
The big guy talks directly and legibly in the vocal sense. Look at Noah!! Clear and concise instructions. Or Soloman with building instructions. To list a few.

Not every Christians consider all of the Bible to be literally true. Actually most believe it's full of symbolism and poetic figures.

What matters most to you? The accuracy of the testimony of the Bible, or the significance of its message?

I understand that, but the problem there lies in what is real and what is full of symbolism and poetic figures.

The bible reads like a historical account. Infers its a historical account.

Kinda like cherry picking. This is real and this a moral. As opposed to it all being real or all being a symbolism and poetic figures.

Coomba98
edit on 30-8-2016 by coomba98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: coomba98
God himself could not get past the barrier of your unwillngness to understand, so there is no point in me worrying my head about it.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Dont turn into Padawan dear DISRAEL.

Refusing to intelligently educate is your lack of education.

....Coomba98

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Kinda like cherry picking. This is real and this a moral.

Coomba98

Not really.....

The Song of Songs is not an historical account. The story of Jonah and the whale serves more purpose as an allegory than an actual event.

So it is full of both parables and literal history. The tricky part for the uninitiated is deciphering correctly which is which.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

I understand that, but the problem there lies in what is real and what is full of symbolism and poetic figures.

It's absolutely not a problem. this is exactly why I asked you this;

What matters most to you? The accuracy of the testimony of the Bible, or the significance of its message?

If what matters is the message more than accuracy, then symbols are a perfectly normal and even common way to convey powerful messages. In that case there is absolutely no problem.

Leave history to historians and focus on the actual purpose of the Bible: spirituality

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
God himself could not get past the barrier of your unwillngness to understand, so there is no point in me worrying my head about it.

So God is not omnipotent... your God?

Coomba98

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

Coomba98

Not really.....

The Song of Songs is not an historical account. The story of Jonah and the whale serves more purpose as an allegory than an actual event.

So it is full of both parables and literal history. The tricky part for the uninitiated is deciphering correctly which is which.

How do you come by this opinion? Of being both parables and literal history?

How do you know whats what?

Coomba98

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   

It's absolutely not a problem. this is exactly why I asked you this;

If what matters is the message more than accuracy, then symbols are a perfectly normal and even common way to convey powerful messages. In that case there is absolutely no problem.

Leave history to historians and focus on the actual purpose of the Bible: spirituality

See response above to markosity1973.

Coomba98

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   

What does it change to you if God was literally speaking out loud to Noah or not? What truly matters is the idea that God can communicate to people through different means.

Why focusing on the material aspects of a book delivering a spiritual teaching?

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: SpaceGoatFart

I agree that religion is just 101. A soul who reaches some level of awareness of the other side of the veil can access at least some information from the unconscious connected to the whole of creation probably thru entanglement.

But you can have a Spiritual 101 that teaches it is a simplification so that the threshold reaching Spiritual 102 is not that hard as if you are saying Spiritual 101 is not the whole objective truth but a simplification. Now days some religions wrongly make people believe walking is all there is and "running" is not possible.

Every souls potential is greater than that.

And it would be easier to help people who are suffering from 3rd eye/body calibration problems if we acknowledge and test the spiritual in an objective way to find tools to help these souls. How many souls are needless suffering since humanity will not see beyond religion and materialism?

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Literally out loud or in their mind does not matter.

Not sure how to respond further as your response does not answer my quote you quoted.

Coomba98

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   

1) Read the bible yourself

2) Think about it and apply some common sense

3) If in doubt read one of the gazillion scholarly articles on any given passage.

4) Don't sweat the small stuff. There are details in there that will profound even the best.

5) Having faith is to believe a higher power exists. If you don't then, then why bother poking the bear?

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle
Now days some religions wrongly make people believe walking is all there is and "running" is not possible.

I believe that's mainly your perception of them.

Religions don't teach. Men do. If someone is giving an interpretation of some sacred books, it's still his own interpretation. Not the one of everyone reading that book. Even among something as hierarchic as the Catholic Church, there is no shortage of different opinions and contradictory teachings.

Your problem is more with some people than with some religions.
edit on 30-8-2016 by SpaceGoatFart because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Not sure how to respond further as your response does not answer my quote you quoted.

If such things don't really matter, then it's not important to me to be able to determine what is parable and what is literal history.

I cannot tell because I wasn't there.

But it's not important to me if genesis is literal or not, since what matters with genesis is the spiritual message it teaches.

That answers your question.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Coomba98

Not really.....

Coomba98

The way to tell parables apart from actual events in the Bible is that parables don't have names of people. Think the parable of the prodigal son. A real event/story with have people's names and places listed in the story.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   

God has given us freewill
That means God has stepped back from His position as sovereign to allow us choice, anything short of that would make us robots

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

1. I have 3 times from cover to cover. Many others on specific books.

Fail.

2. Im a very logical person. Thinking about it is inevitable.

Fail.

3. Got any links to support your argument?

Fail.

4. Not sweating. Just debating and trying to understand.

Fail.

5. Because i love fantasy!! Sorry religion.

Coomba98

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

If such things don't really matter, then it's not important to me to be able to determine what is parable and what is literal history.

I cannot tell because I wasn't there.

But it's not important to me if genesis is literal or not, since what matters with genesis is the spiritual message it teaches.

That answers your question.

So you believe because you want to? Not because of logic and evidence?

Coomba98

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

Coomba98

Not really.....

Coomba98

The way to tell parables apart from actual events in the Bible is that parables don't have names of people. Think the parable of the prodigal son. A real event/story with have people's names and places listed in the story.

Is this opinion or fact?

Coomba98

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Christians don't bow to the virgin Mary. They believe in the second coming of Christ. They believe in the rapture. They believe in love.

Catholics idk what they believe but the cleansing of sins via Eucharist.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join