It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Red Scare, Same as the Old, minus the Communism

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Oh and before some smart ass comments, yes I'm fully aware the red in red scare represents communism not Russia.

Rats. Okay, there went my first question.....

Believe it or not, your average Joe/Jane on the street in today's world here in the US if you pulled them aside and asked them if they are worried about Russia would most likely give you the same response as DBCowboy's:

"I thought Russia was our friend?"

Back during the main part of the Cold War, it was easy to have the specter of some huge enemy. The Soviets were the "Red Commie Boogy Man" under our beds, ready to nuke the USA to hell and back.

It was really indoctronated into everyone's heads in the 50s, 60, 70s and into the 80s.....

The commies are coming! They want to destroy your way of life! The American Dream will be destroyed by these bastards, and only constant vigilance will allow us to keep them at bay!

That doesn't work now. The Soviets fell apart.....and without one nuke fired. Point to someone on the street and call them a Commie, and you'll pretty much be ignored.

Shout terrorist on the other hand and you'll have mass panic.

So ever since 9/11 that has been the big bad boogy man under people's bed now: The Terrorist.....and unfortunately, yes, linked to people of Middle Eastern persuasion.

Most of us here on ATS get what you are saying: Russia did this, and that, and look at what Putin is up to now! Here on ATS many of us are watching and understanding that there may be issues with Russia again. Will they be the same type as during the Cold War? I don't think so. Most of the countries all over the world know what a global nuclear war would do, and none of them really want that.

Well.....except Little Kim of N. Korea......and some rather fanatical terrorist that think dying in a glory of a nuclear detonation is what will get them in their idea of heaven is.

But, most of the rest of the world knows: No one wins a nuclear war.

Your average person on the street is more worried about a terrorist with a dirty bomb than they are of Russia or China trying to nuke the US, or us them.

I think some of the events with the Ukraine caused some concern....but you'll notice that now it's something that is not really news worthy anymore. Even Syria is a back burner item now.

For now, more people are looking at China and what is going on in the South China Sea....but even that really takes a back seat too.

Right now the only thing that is really on peoples minds here in the US are:

Trump. Hillary and a football player that refused to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.........

Maybe if something really big were to happen.....China sinks a US ship with a missile or at least fires at it.......Russia invades Estonia.....something like that....that might get people's attention again.

At least it might for a little while. But once Trump says something again, the media will be all over it.

That or a basketball player decides to not stand for the national anthem.....that will get people's attention.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Didn't Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State give Russia a "Reset" button a few years ago?

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I think your right. I don't think the American people will buy it. But Russia is starting to hit the media, getting the blame for quite a bit all of a sudden.

I think the establishment is sweating. Things aren't going their way, no matter how much they try to sell us on it. It's a desperation move I think. We'll see what comes of it.

I'm just reminding people. We've seen all this before.
edit on 8/29/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

One way you can tell who the liars are is in Syria. The US claims to be fighting ISIS there for four years, the Russians showed up and bombed them out in a month.

How could the US military with satellites that can see everything, everywhere, all the time, possibly miss all those trucks lined up in the desert, delivering stolen oil all the way across the border to Turkey? Western advocates will say the west does it too. Apparently not. See for yourself, these columns of trucks aren't hidden from view, they are in plain sight--

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

That brings up an interesting possibility. Nationalism isn't what it once was.

What if instead of having the desired result, people look into things and decide they believe the Russians over our own government?

What if people come to the conclusion Russia is more honest?

This could in that scenario not only blow up in their faces, but become a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts.

This is a what if by the way to anyone thinking I'm insinuating Russian Propaganda is more honest than our own. That said often the best propaganda is the truth.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   

And you know what? It's our fault.

Or at least it's the "Free World's" fault.

Everyone knew what to expect with the old USSR. Their doctrine was quite clear.

But we (the free world) wore them out and down. That kind of Russia is gone, and I don't think no mater how much Putin might miss his old KGB days, will Russia go quite all the way back to it.

Russians now enjoy many things that were much harder to enjoy back during their USSR days, so I don't think the Genie is going back into the bottle.

But: that means we're not 100 percent sure what will happen now. I mean we can guess at some things. It's obvious that most Russians really like Putin. He's a strong leader in their eyes and that really appeals to them (all those decades of pretty much being told to do........now though, they can still kind of get that, but it comes with a Big Mac or a Whopper).

I think for the most part, Russia just wants to make sure that no one forgets Russia. That they want to have their "slice of the pie" too (personally, I'd rather the US just give them the whole pie and say, it's YOUR problem now).

Even China is different now. Though I don't think we should be poking them as much as we have been. Man made islands in that sea are not really going to affect us as much as the US seems to want to believe.

If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of letting the world solve it's problems, and have my country stop sticking it's nose where it's not wanted. We seem to make more of a mess of things of late than we do making things better when it comes to the world.

We seem to even make a mess trying to clean the mess we made up........

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I'm with you a 100% and I think a lot of people are. The US is being unmasked and we're just tired of the BS.

I think trying to big out the old tricks at this point in time is a bad idea for them. I don't think it will have the old usefulness it once did, and will just frustrate people more. We've seen this already!!! LOL

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
You're leaving out China which is a full half of the Communist scare. Their recent posturings in the South China sea and occupation of islands claimed by Japan are no small thing. They have made it known publicly they intent to "stretch their muscles" towards Australia.

The press isn't making much hay o it, nothing like what they are Russia though. It looks like Germany is being set up again vs Turkey as the ignition point in any future flare up possibly leading to war. Merkel is on the line over the refugee issue and Erdogan has her up against a wall. So Europe faces a strategic threat from Russia and a growing internal threat with the spread of terrorism and radical Islam being imported by the thousands.

Given that stockpiles of thousands of guns, grenades, explosives etc have been found in Europe connected to Mosques teaching radical Islam that is no small threat. If they have found 10,000 AK 47's imagine how many more they haven't found. It's like looking at 3 inches of snake tail only to discover it's a 20 ft Anaconda.

It's been the plan all along to use these threats to institute a military/police state where everyone has biometric ID. War or no war it's always been about enslavement.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

All good points. Guess Russia gets to simply be the face that launches it all again.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
'Taken' had an Arab bad boss man.

edit on 29-8-2016 by TheCretinHop because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Good post.

Your average person on the street is more worried about a terrorist with a dirty bomb than they are of Russia or China trying to nuke the US, or us them.

Maybe you're right...but on ATS there's plenty of people that dont seem to share that view. I've seen hundreds of posts where people seem to believe that Russia would fire nuclear at US mainland or somewhere else even. Also invade Ukraine, or the Baltics...and then of course...the rest of the Europe.

I think that propaganda OP is talking about does stick plenty...

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 04:20 AM
link   

This right here is what's worrying me as Eriktheawful stated.

"I think some of the events with the Ukraine caused some concern....but you'll notice that now it's something that is not really news worthy anymore. Even Syria is a back burner item now.

For now, more people are looking at China and what is going on in the South China Sea....but even that really takes a back seat too.

Right now the only thing that is really on peoples minds here in the US are:

Trump. Hillary and a football player that refused to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.........

Maybe if something really big were to happen.....China sinks a US ship with a missile or at least fires at it.......Russia invades Estonia.....something like that....that might get people's attention again."

I was surprised when I recently viewed all the islands in the South China sea. I was looking for one air base. But found 4 more, with scattered Radar stations on many island. There was a thread by EA007 on it.

good thread S&F.
Edit: also what Asktheanimals said too
edit on 30-8-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   

What if instead of having the desired result, people look into things and decide they believe the Russians over our own government?

What if people come to the conclusion Russia is more honest?

They aren't the ones trying to conquer the world currently. They are reacting to efforts on the part of US, EU (NATO) doing that.

Honesty has nothing to do with it, watch the chess board, the military chess board. NATO acts in Ukraine, Russia reacts. NATO acts in the ME, Russia reacts. Not only Russia, Iran and China, too.

They have announced they are providing "Humanitarian Aid" to Syria (like we do). The world is tired of US "Regime Change", tired of the lies and treachery.

Should get interesting, now one of the chief lying architects behind US foreign policy is a candidate for the highest office in the land. She should be in prison for what shes done, but there she is on stage, clapping and waving, "vote for meee!"

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Some of us are trying to prevent that. But Hillary is being forced on us whether we like it or not.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

"I think some of the events with the Ukraine caused some concern....but you'll notice that now it's something that is not really news worthy anymore. Even Syria is a back burner item now.

Syria is burning alright. "Back burner" doesn't mean they aren't hotter than ever, just the news media has stopped covering it.

This place used to be on fire about it. There was a Syria current events thread...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Who cares, right? The campaign to bore everyone to death about Syria was successful, just like the other campaign to bore everyone to death about the election, ongoing.

The other day on local news one of the top stories right up there with traffic and weather was a video of a skunk in someones backyard.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

Some of us are trying to prevent that. But Hillary is being forced on us whether we like it or not.

Sadly... you're right. Change isn't going to come easily, maybe not even from within, Americans seem subdued about the dangers down the road.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Thanks for that link. And i do care, its just that i have to go looking for it rather than have it on the front page.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

That's what RT is for, creating defectors.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

RT? I really hate acronyms, so easy to forget which ones are what.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Russia Today, their state run news agency that conveniently enough broadcasts in English and targets people skeptical of the US government.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join