It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's getting near fall. Time for squash.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I will certainly try that salad. I love raw zucchini and balsamic vinegar. Never considered combining the two. I bet adding a little toasted sesame seed to the mix would knock it out of the park.

Block parmesan is the only way to go. You never know what you're getting with the pre-grated stuff. I can't remember the last time I bought a jar.

I also never thought about freezing the centers for later. Usually, that is my snack during preparation. :p I will remember that the next time I'm cooking batch style for the extended family.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Roasted butternut squash soup.

1 butternut squash.
1 small onion chopped fine
2 carrots chopped
1 stalk celery chopped
2 Tbls chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbls olive oil
1 can chicken broth or vegetable broth
Creme fresh

Cut butternut squash in half length wise sprinkle with oil salt and pepper.
Roast in 400 degree oven until tender and it is just beginning to brown . About 40 minutes.
Remove and cool

In stock pot put vegetables (except squash), parsley 1 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper broth and enough water to cover.
Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer and cook about 15 or 20 minutes or until carrots are very tender.
Using an emulsion blender puree the vegetables in the broth. Add roasted squash and blend that into stock.
Strain through a wire sieve to remove fibers and obtain a smooth mixture.
Return to the pot and reduce over low heat until thick and bisque like.
Serve with a dollop of creme fresh.

If you don't have an emulsion blender transfer stock in batches to a regular blender.
If you don't have either this soup is a good reason to add one to your kitchen tools. A hand held emulsion blender is handy and inexpensive and can store in a drawer.

This is one of my winter favorites. I grate a little nutmeg across the top after serving and use green onions or fresh chives as garnish.
It freezes really well too.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

I love grating fresh nutmeg too. The aroma is heady and rich. I love it with onions, with cheese and with potatoes.
Of course the fall desserts like Apple or pumpkin pie are great vehicles to carry the aroma of nutmeg.
I've overused it and had dishes turn out bitter so I have to restrain myself LOL.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
So a few weeks ago I'm at a small no name grocery store in my neighborhood and I find this item in the produce section that looks like a pumpkin but is a mottled dark green and cream colored skin. It's heavy like a pumpkin. I put it in my cart and figured I could Google how to cook it once the cashier told me what it was. They had no idea either. The girl said I could have it for 35¢ per lb. It was 3.68 so I said ok. I looked up different types of squash and it turned out to be a calabaza squash. Like a pumpkin it has a sweet fleshed interior. I did a classic brown sugar butter bake and had so much left over because of the size. If you have a crowd this could double for an acorn. (And I mean double)
There are a few recipes for a soup but I'm thinking this is one that is more work than its worth. It took forever to cook.
Try it if your looking for something different. Post your successes here.
Or if you have a recipe post it.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I had a squash in Puerto Rico when I was a kid. It was dark green and shaped like a smallish squatter pumpkin. It had white flesh inside and tasted more like potato than pumpkin. I don't know what it was called.
I have some speciality markets around here I could hunt for it.
Anyone know what that one is called?

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Maybe a chayote? Kind of flat and pear shaped?

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

I can't even find it online. It was very dark forrest green skin white creamy type flesh shaped like a squatty pumpkin but not a calabaza or turban squash. It was good . My friends mother cooked it.
Great trip when I was a young teen. I spent two weeks in the mountains of Puerto Rico living with the people. Not in the glitzy San Juan area. I saw heart breaking poverty, beautifully Spanish villages with plazas and fountains. Tall waterfalls, wild banana trees it was amazing. This was growing wild by the road side. I'd say it weighed about seven pounds.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh

Maybe a chayote? Kind of flat and pear shaped?

See above. But I'm going to buy a chayote and see what I can come up with for it. Thanks for the idea !!!

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Never heard of this one, but it could be a Black Futsu. They're native to Japan.

www.plant-world-seeds.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

Panko breads crumbs, with an egg bath. Scramble the eggs, then dip your patties in that, then roll in or heavily sprinkle with the bread crumbs. When they hit the oil, the egg should hold it all together.
Or....Just thought of this...you know those metal rings they use for eggs? To make them stay round in the pan? Use one of those to fry it in and they will keep their shape.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join