It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moving day miracle.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I yelled at the kids as usual that it was time for breakfast. The moving vans should arrive in less than an hour and I still had the
attic to go through and pack up. This was a chore that i'd dreaded for years. Once I had gotten started I was sure it would'nt seem so bad. But i've been the kind of person that found it easy to get lost in the past. All those memories. The good and bad.

After breakfast the children went outside to play and I made my way to the stairs. Moving ever so slowly one step at a time, my mind wondered back to the day we moved in this old house. Remembering my first thought as we pulled into the driveway. What a job it was going to be to make this place a home. The front porch collums were rotten, paint was need inside and out, new flooring and some plumbing would be just the beginning. We worked on one room at a time untill we finshed the entire house twenty three months later.

Libby was born one month later and life was good. Our marriage was great, the house was now a home and the family we had discussed for more than ten years was now a reality. Libby was the first of four children we would have. Ben was glad we picked such a big house and put our own time into remodeling it ourself. Shortly after Libby turned one we had our second child, and then on like clockwork one year later we had the twins. There was so much love in this home, I found it so difficult to leave now.

The twins turned eight last year and the day after the big party Ben suffered heart failure. The bills started to pile up and Bens health declined. We lost him six months ago and I could not find a way to go on without him. Life was so depressing now. How do you let go? Move on? I prayed and prayed for an answer to these questions.

I continued my way into the attic and started going through boxes that had been packed for many years. There were things I had forgotten all about. Memories that were now flooding my mind. The past had been so good to us. And I had thought the future would be just as happy. I found grandma's old bible, my dad's first fishing pole, baby books, and my wedding dress. Then in the last box with tears streaming down my face I dug in with both hands and pulled out the most precious part of my past with Ben...the beginning. I found love letters, pressed flowers, our old highschool year books. Then in the bottom of that box I found Ben's old football jacket, in the pocket was a prayer Ben had written that I had never seen before. As I read it I could'nt believe my eyes.

It read:

Dear God,

I know I have'nt been the most faithfull of your children and I know I don't deserve it but I have to ask. You see I have fallen in love with a wonderfull girl and tomorrow i'm going to ask her to marry me. I know that this is not your normal question Lord, but please if she says yes and marries me, later in life if you must send an angel to take one of us home, please let it be me. Let her live and grow old, to see our grandchildren grow, and find this key.
In closing i'd also like to ask that you bless us and help guide our family to live the life that seems so difficult for most. Help us be better christians. Help guide us in raising our little ones.

In your name I pray.

Ben

After reading this I wondered what that key was for? And why I had never seen this before now. I put the key in my pocket , dried my tears and headed down the stairs to meet the movers.

When we arrived at the new apartment I was far too tired to start unpacking. I ordered pizza and feel asleep on the sofa. In the middle of the night I heard a noise and got up to see what it could be. I checked on the twins and they were fine. Our two oldest also fast asleep. I went to the kitchen to get a glass of milk and as soon as i swicthed on the light I noticed this wooden box sitting on the countertop. Strange I though. I don't emember this. Must belong to one of the kids. I drank the milk and returned to my resting spot. Again I heard that same noise. It kept on , so I got up and walked back to the kitchen to see the most amazing thing. This box was glowing. I tried with everything to get this box open. Then I remembered the key. I pulled it out of my pocket and it was a perfect fit. As I raised the lid I saw a note that said it was a gift from God. It said that this was Ben's last request. I knelt to the floor knowing this very minute I was witnessing a miracle. The glowing continued for a while and I held it close to my heart. It started playing our favorite song. I started to cry, then I heard his voice. It was Ben. He said when he wrote the prayer he ask God to allow him to come back just once after his death and here he was. I could'nt move, I could'nt even talk. Finally the words escapped my lips, I love you. Ben ask me not to cry he was fine and would love me forever and someday i'd be with him again. I wanted to ask why, but did'nt want to let go for fear that if I did when I looked up he'd be gone again. Then he said I have a few minutes. Lets sit down. He said he loved me so much that he prayed he'd die first. Then admitted he wanted more for me, so he gave his own life. We held each other for a while and when time was up he looked in on the children, kissing each one goodbye. Then looking at my through tears he said see this pain was what I never wanted you to endure.
With one last kiss and a tight hug he once again said Emily I love you.

Now when I close my eyes I can still see him standing there. I can still hear his whispers, feel his hugs. Now I know when you ask, God will give you answers.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Very cool short story.

Moving is never fun.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I'm with Mac, good story.

And no, moving is never fun..

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Thank you both.
I will get back to writting again soon. I love the stories here. Feels like little kids being the heros in the story...lol

top topics

join