It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela Effect - Headings vs Text - A Possible ME Start Date?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The Mandela Effect is "glitchy" resulting in residual evidence.

A pattern is observed in the glitch; headings and captions are harder to change than text.

An ME start date can be derived from when the pattern emerges.

In the examples below, note the Headings (blue) and Captions spell a term one way, the text body another (yellow).

Niagra Falls is now Niagara Falls

Donna Summers is now Donna Summer

Christopher Reeves is now Christopher Reeve

John Schultz is now John Schulz

Barbara Streisand is now Barbra Streisand

Kathy Lee Gifford is now Kathie Lee Gifford

Rod Sterling is now Rod Serling

Pete Townsend is now Pete Townshend

Chic-Fil-A is now Chick-Fil-A

JC Penny is now JC Penney

The last instance I can find of Heading vs Text for "Niagra" is in 2005. There are examples of the term "Niagra" used as late as 2008, but then the residue ends.

Source And Searching
Each Effect above has many examples. You'll find multiple instances of Heading vs Text for Niagra, Barbara, Summers, Chic-Fil-A, JC Penny.. and so on.
To search, copy+paste below to a browser, then adapt term in quotes:
"search term" site:news.google.com/newspapers

Spelling Errors
If these are spelling errors, why are they only misspelled in the Heading and Captions?
How would an editor (or writer) not see the error with the correct term right below it?
These are reputable newspapers - not tabloids. How would they go to print with such errors being so common?
The text in 'error' goes back as far as the term does - but stops around 2008.

Possible Start Date
I'm theorizing the Mandela Effect occurred in 2005-2006 (at least the "first wave"). Afterwards, the "now misspelled" terms taper off - as though writers and editors began using the new spelling as they became aware.

---
I anticipate based on other ME threads that the following will need to be said:

I know typos have made it to production, this is more than a typo and more than a misspelling.

I don't know what caused the Mandela Effect. I don't advocate a theory.

The ME conversation has gone past faulty memory and common mistakes.

My primary goal is to get evidence to those interested via the OP.

With that said; I assume based on ATS skeptic culture that this thread will fill with jokes, jabs and reasoning based in a general misunderstanding of how the Mandela Effect works. Don't be surprised if I'm not responsive to comments of this nature.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I thought it best to show how common the Heading vs Text ME residue phenomena is...

These are in addition to the two "Niagra" instances above..

Note, the Heading spells it 'wrong', yet the text is 'correct'.

How can misspelling a term in Headings be so common?

To truly debunk, you'd have to find a term with many examples misspelled in the Heading, and correct in the body.

edit on 29-8-2016 by Pearj because: added "Niagra"

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Pearj
Or possibly because text is written by journalists and headings are written by sub-editors.
Different people make different spelling mistakes.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Or possibly because text is written by journalists and headings are written by sub-editors.
Different people make different spelling mistakes.

This is the most logical explanation. Most of these examples are from the 70's to 90's onward where spell check was non-existent.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

This has been one of the main aspects I have noticed repeated over and over in many of the anomalies.

It kept happening the heading and url code would stay with the old memory while the actual text body and title would change to the new memory..

Even sometimes google will have the preview and you copy that preview and search for it on the page and it's changed on the page but not on google preview.
Even sometimes you could go into a page and see the old spelling, and it would redirect as you looked at it to the new spelling..

I'm not in the mood but I'll some of my own research in a later post.
It will show exactly what you are talking about, and in New York Times, Forbes, and other respecible publications all making mistakes similar in similar time periods..

Sometimes like say you notice a pattern. You can see when something changed, if you have enough data points to see the curve of people using the old/new terms..

edit on 29-8-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti
Spell-check doesn't stop things like the recent CNN headline "Bolt enters unchartered territory"when they obviously meant "unCHARTED". "Spell as you pronounce" strikes again. If illiteracy counts as a symptom of Mandela effect, the cases are going to increase indefinitely.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

In summary:

Typos = PROOF of Mandela Effect

Gotcha!

Thanks for at least not using "proof" or "evidence" in the title OP.

But because everyone loves to use capital letters in "PROOF" of their titles, I will also use this format for added effect: Niagara Falls has ALWAYS BEEN SPELLED THAT WAY

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

I noticed that too with Olstien (or whatever his name is). The url with his name in it was correct, but the name on the web page was changed.

Looking forward to your post!!

The Skunk Works forum is quickly becoming the Mandela Effect forum!

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
That doesn't explain people claiming the great man died in Prison in 1991.

Sure maybe the Berenstain claim, but people not realising Mandela was President of South Africa between 1994 and 1995, is frightening.

Edit- Nice thread all the same.

edit on 29/8/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

The Skunk Works forum is quickly becoming the Mandela Effect forum!

This is not something to be excited about IMO, *sigh

(post by stinkelbaum removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti
a reply to: FamCore
a reply to: stinkelbaum

If what you say is true then we should find many other examples of a given term that's misspelled in the Heading and correct in the text?

Will you back up what you say by finding a term with many examples that's misspelled in the Heading and correct in the body?

edit on 29-8-2016 by Pearj because: made request clearer

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
One of Nelson Mandela s family should copyright their name and make some big bucks with all this who_ha.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs

This has been one of the main aspects I have noticed repeated over and over in many of the anomalies.

It kept happening the heading and url code would stay with the old memory while the actual text body and title would change to the new memory..

Even sometimes google will have the preview and you copy that preview and search for it on the page and it's changed on the page but not on google preview.
Even sometimes you could go into a page and see the old spelling, and it would redirect as you looked at it to the new spelling..

I'm not in the mood but I'll some of my own research in a later post.
It will show exactly what you are talking about, and in New York Times, Forbes, and other respecible publications all making mistakes similar in similar time periods..

Sometimes like say you notice a pattern. You can see when something changed, if you have enough data points to see the curve of people using the old/new terms..

It happened/happens with the word Dilemma. Many were taught to spell it with a silent N. IE: Dilemna. The trick my elementary school teachers would mention for spelling tests, was to pronounce the n in your mind so as to always spell it right as in dil-em-na.

The google for the freedictionary.com shows dilemna. The url is thefreedictionary.com/dilemna It automatically redirects to thefreedictionary.com/dilemma

There are multiple websites devoted to just this word where people recall both the N and being told how to remember to spell it. dilemna.info is one

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

So nice to see it again! For that alone, thanks for the post!

RE: Townsend

S+F

[eta: lulz 'Niagara'
]

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I'm a horrible speller.. Not sure if anyone has noticed..

I had to pronounce words weird in my head..

" Dil em na "

It's one of the ones that really irks me, because I always spelled it wrong as "dilemma" and corrected countless times to dilemna.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

np!

I want to get the same feeling when I see a correct world map.

I haven't found one, so I may have to make one.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

(post by imsoconfused removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Anyone acquainted with newspapers knows what sub-editors do, which was my point.
I'm not going to go obsessively hunting down examples, but I can quote one difference from memory;
A magazine article about Johnson and Boswell quoted Boswell correctly as saying to Johnson "I come from Scotland, but I can't help it".
But in the subheading half-way down the article the line was given as "I'm Scottish, but I can't help it". That is the standard popular misquotation, which completely destroys the joke in Johnson's response (intended to be a word-play on "come from"). Again, that was obviously an undereducated sub-editor.

You make the whole "Mandela effect" concept even more absurd if you start quoting illiteracy as evidence.

edit on 29-8-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join