It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet "x" real or a myth?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Planet "x" is real, but its not really a planet it is just plutos moon. Now i would like to hear what u think. so i would say PLANET "x" is not real.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
planet x eh?
what aboot the sea-floor? the oceans aren't even close to being mapped yet.

whether there is an x or not, the best spot is probably right here.

btw, im under the impression that planet x is as real as the stars in the sky.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I say that there is no such thing as planet x, whether its ajupiter sized planet beyond the system, a regular rocky planet thats really dim, a moonlet thats really eccentric, or anything else.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Ummm.. at the risk of sounding like a cranky SOB but..

Pluto is barely a planet itself.. anything orbiting Pluto must be smaller or at the very least identically sized to Pluto (unless you are going to throw out all the laws of gravity, etc.).. therefore, seeing as Pluto is a borderline (at best) planet, saying that anything orbitting Pluto is a planet is just plane old-fashioned 100% wrong.

Regards,

Osiris

E_T

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
curious.astro.cornell.edu...
www.badastronomy.com...

There's definitely lot of asteroid/comet sized objects in Kuiper Belt and Oort's cloud but any big object there would be detected... unless it lies at "half way to nearest star".

Well... it just depend on what is the size limit of planet, if that limit it's small enough Pluto could almost be called as "double planet" because diameter of it's moon, Charon, is half of Pluto's.
www.solarviews.com...

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."
-Andre Gide

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Wasn't Originally Planet X was suppose to explain Uranus weird rotation, and other things back in the Vogayer probe days.

Tho honestly I think with the amount of "scanning" type projects being done in non-visible light astronomy (Radio, Infrared, and ultraviolet)

What has really happened is that no one has really defined a "planet" and there are Kuiper belt objects being discovered all he time as near-planets.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I read that they knew something was tugging at Jupiter and Saturn and that Pluto is far too small for that, so it must be something beyond Pluto. But perhaps there is a big planet beyond Pluto and we just have yet to spot it.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
What is the definition of a planet? If what defines a planet is a surface and surface materials then we can discount "planets" such as Jupiter and Saturn as they are just giant spinning balls of gas that are held together by massive gravitational forces. If what defines a planet is, instead, a body of material "floating" in space then where do we make the distintion between, say, our planet Earth and our Moon? Or perhaps Mercury and Halley's Comet? The definition of a planet was first concieved around the time of Copericus and therefore is NOT valid in todays times with our increased knowledge of our galaxy/universe.
Having said this I believe it is possible that another possible Jupiter-sized "planet" or body could exist outside what is generally considered to be the outer reaches of our solar system and possibly could have an effect on the gravitational forces working within. Is it so hard to believe that even though we cannot see or accurately detect it that it isnt there? What if this supposed body is unlike anything we have currently detected? What if (and now Im going off on a sci-fi rant) this body emits some sort of unknown radiation that deflects our current scanning techniques? What if (assuming the body exists) it conforms to the off-shoot of physics and enters the world of quantum physics? Could the body emit some form of Dark Energy that defects our scans? Could the body be dark matter itself? I leave it with you.....food for thought.

E_T

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Better Dead than Smeg
What is the definition of a planet? If what defines a planet is a surface and surface materials then we can discount "planets" such as Jupiter and Saturn as they are just giant spinning balls of gas that are held together by massive gravitational forces. If what defines a planet is, instead, a body of material "floating" in space then where do we make the distintion between, say, our planet Earth and our Moon?
It's simple, Moon orbits "primarily" Earth, not Sun.

And it's very propable that even gas planets have solid cores wich are much bigger than Earth, it's just at the time of planets formation there was much more available gas in outer solar system than inner solar system so they collected much of it around their solid cores.
And big parts of them are in liquid form because huge pressure compress gasses to liquid.

Originally posted by Broadsword20068
I read that they knew something was tugging at Jupiter and Saturn and that Pluto is far too small for that, so it must be something beyond Pluto.
PS. There's Uranus and Neptune between them and Pluto.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
i thought i heard a while ago(like a good 8 or 9 months) on the news that they found a tenth planet (planet x) but they renamed it Sedna, im not sure on its size or anything though

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I heard they actually found 2 new planets in our solar system, except they are no bigger then the moon, so they are not really considered planets.

There could be something out past pluto. You never know. Does anyone actually know how large the gravitational pull of our sun is? I doubt it. If anythng they say it cant go past pluto...only because pluto is so far the last planet to be found. If they find a new 1, they will say...oh i guess it only goes to that planet.

no one knows.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Well there is Quaoar although thats a KBO and half the size of Pluto. So I don't think Planet X is real myself.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
what is the myth ? I'm sure it didn't get notariety here for being a simple planet....

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Broadsword20068
I read that they knew something was tugging at Jupiter and Saturn

From what I understand, and this is covered in more detail in the thread I linked to above, there was an orbital anomoly for neptune and uranus or something, and this lead to the discovery of pluto (amoun other things). However, the mass of pluto wasn't sufficient to account for the anamoly, so another planet seemed like it should be there. However, there was a more accurate measure of the masses invovled, and it was found that there was, in fact, no anamoly because of this. Therefore, the only actual evidence for planet X was gone.

I'm sure it didn't get notariety here for being a simple planet

Actually that is about it. There's also a related myth that there is a planet called 'niribu' that has a very eccentric orbit of a few thousands years that has aliens living on it who built the pyramids and lace their atmosphere with gold to protect it from cosmic radiation, or something too.

[edit on 22-1-2005 by Nygdan]

E_T

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by trust_no_one
i thought i heard a while ago(like a good 8 or 9 months) on the news that they found a tenth planet (planet x) but they renamed it Sedna, im not sure on its size or anything though
It's KBO (Kuiper Belt Object) or one of the objects of Oort cloud.

en.wikipedia.org...
www.solarviews.com...

And we might have to decrease size estimates of found KBOs.

he size of a distant object is often based on an estimate of its reflectivity, a measure called albedo. For years astronomers had assumed KBOs were pretty dark, reflecting just 4 percent of the sunlight that hit them.

University of Arizona astronomer John Stansberry used NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope to obtain actual albedos for some of these icy objects.

"Our results have albedos ranging from 6 percent to 18 percent for the eight objects I've analyzed," Stansberry said. If a KBO is brighter than thought, then less surface area is required to reflect the amount of sunlight that was measured -- so the object's size must be revised downward.
www.space.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Personally, I believe that Nibiru exists

Heres a good link to planet x research:
xfacts.com...

Also check this interview at nasa in 1990 about Planet X:

xfacts.com...

E_T

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Verbal_Hologram
Heres a good link to planet x research:
xfacts.com...
Which doesn't stick in truth like it's tradition with these self-proclaimed doomsday prophets.

And where is that end of the world prophetized for year 2003... or was it postponed until they draw lots for next date?

www.badastronomy.com...
www.nineplanets.org... (that Nine Planets link to current address)

Originally posted by shots

Originally posted by mrwupy
I just can't help but wonder why anyone would believe such stuff. Wupy
Here from your own source:

The data received is vague and is yet to be confirmed

One day Chicken Little was walking in the woods when -- KERPLUNK -- an acorn fell on her head
"Oh my goodness!" said Chicken Little. "The sky is falling! I must go and tell the king."

On her way to the king's palace, Chicken Little met Henny Penny. Henny Penny said that she was going into the woods to hunt for worms.
"Oh no, don't go!" said Chicken Little. "I was there and the sky fell on my head! Come with me to tell the king."

So Henny Penny joined Chicken Little and they went along and went along as fast as they could.

Soon they met Cocky Locky, who said, "I'm going to the woods to hunt for seeds."

"Oh no, don't go!" said Henny Penny. "The sky is falling there! Come with us to tell the king."

So Cocky Locky joined Henny Penny and Chicken Little, and they went along and went along as fast as they could.

Soon they met Goosey Poosey, who was planning to go to the woods to look for berries.

"Oh no, don't go!" said Cocky Locky. "The sky is falling there! Come with us to tell the king." So Goosey Poosey joined Cocky Locky, Henny Penny and Chicken Little, and they went along as fast as they could.

Then who should appear on the path but sly old Foxy Woxy.

"Where are you going, my fine feathered friends?" asked Foxy Woxy. He spoke in a polite manner, so as not to frighten them.

"The sky is falling!" cried Chicken Little. "We must tell the king."

"I know a shortcut to the palace," said Foxy woxy sweetly. "Come and follow me."

But wicked Foxy Woxy did not lead the others to the palace. He led them right up to the entrance of his foxhole. Once they were inside, Foxy Woxy was planning to gobble them up!

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Im to lazy to get the article for you but search nasa for quanoar or sedna.
Its already a fact there is 2 planet X's , lol

quanoar is 10th
sedna is 11th

and sedna is gigger than pluto not smaller (cough)

Here is a picture i saved.

Niburu = Sedna

[edit on 24-1-2005 by lizzardsamok]

E_T

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by lizzardsamok
and sedna is gigger than pluto not smaller (cough)
Where it says that?

And there's other problem in calling it as planet, its orbit differs greatly from all planets.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:51 AM
link   

And there's other problem in calling it as planet, its orbit differs greatly from all planets

Isnt Planet X/Nibiru supposed to have a strange eliptic path?.
Looking at that picture is kinda what I portrayed in my mind when I heard about this "planet".

How lond does it take for Sedna to make one full orbit of that eliptic path?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join