It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(To the religious) Why is it so difficult to accept that some people don't believe in gods?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

I believe there are several states that have had this happen to them now, I can look it up for you if you're interested. I do know that it is primarily Texas that is having this issue at the moment. I only brought it up as an interesting fact

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

No thanks, as I don't doubt that such cases have occured in other states (I'd say the exception, though).

Do you agree that there is an agenda being pushed in our education system (non-religious)? I'd say that a Christian agenda should be the least of your worries.

Edit: to clarify, I don't think it's a specifically non-religious agenda, but rather that the agenda being pushed doesn't adhere to any particular religion.
edit on 29-8-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-8-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
a reply to: grainofsand
You cannot prove that anymore than I can prove babies are in communion with God and angels until they lose the knowledge as they grow.

I also can't prove that there isn't invisible pink unicorns that cause planetary size hurricanes that live on Saturn. But just because I can't disprove it doesn't make it even remotely likely or valid as an argument.

The same goes for the existence of any gods. The details that come after some states "god exists" are useless until that statement is proven. "We could be born with a connection with God" therefore is entirely irrelevant until the former proof is given

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Here in the UK my now adult son didn't have any 'Religious Education' classes in school.
All religions were discussed as neutral understanding lessons in a 'Philosophy and Applied Ethics' class.
None of his friends believe in any gods either. The awareness lessons made it painfully obvious that faith in religion/gods is learned behaviour, and the differing faiths from Abrahamic to Zoroastrian cannot ALL be right lol.

The lack of evidence to support any of them was a major influence as well.
I am pleased that while I didn't indoctrinate my son into any religion, the state didn't try it either.
All children are atheist until somebody teaches them different.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

No thanks, as I don't doubt that such cases have occured in other states (I'd say the exception, though).

Yes, most certainly the exception.

originally posted by: zosimov
Do you agree that there is an agenda being pushed in our education system (non-religious)? I'd say that a Christian agenda should be the least of your worries.

In the US, at least, Yes. The agenda would most likely be to diminish the quality of education all together to keep citizens less likely to revolt. But that is another topic.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Hey Hazardous I'm genuinely interested in what has led you to Islam, please share with me your story. (you can also PM me)
edit on 29-8-2016 by ElectricFeel because: (pm)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

That's the way it should be, in my opinion. Religion, as it's own class, and religions generally, rather than specifically. Religion is a fascinating topic, and should be taught, just not as a specific religion being injected into history or sciences in some sort of devious way.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: ketsuko

Very well put, even with your tablet issues

It seems that as I can understand why you believe in a god, you also can understand why I don't believe in any.
There are plenty of folk on both sides of the faith camp who are different to us though, I only see them online though.

Like I said, I have JWs down the road from me, so even as a Christian, I get proselytized to fairly regularly by my own. We are not immune to each other within our different divisions.

Still at least I never seem to get the same one twice.

edit on 29-8-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Sure, but we can still show them if we wanted to. It's not an impossibility. I'm not stating that ignorance doesn't exist. I'm not quite sure what your point is?

Never mind, doc cleared it up for me. ^

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 29-8-2016 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Still at least I never seem to get the same one twice.

I've only ever had a person spreading their word maybe a couple of times in the last 20 years. I helpfully said don't waste your time same as I do to cold calling salespeople.

There is a guy in town who preaches from the Bible next to his sign which says 'Say hello if you want to talk about Jesus' and I smile when I walk past him, that offends me in no way at all, I would fight for his right to do so.
...I've not seen anyone talking to him once ever in the last decade or so he's been doing it though, but kudos to him for exploiting his right to believe and right to preach in public.

*Edit*
I've seen lots of people laughing at his preaching as they walk past though...I understand their amusement but I control myself when I walk past, It is a pity like emotion, not to upset a person when they haven't interacted or harmed me.
edit on 29.8.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Its not, however as a polytheist, I accept that there are a multitude of beliefs, many monotheists can't accept this, and as a consequence they find a lack of theism to be very challenging. That is a shame, but on them.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I accept that there are people who don't believe in gods. But Jesus said we were all gods, that is with a little "g".

And the Bible tells us that Satan is the god of this world. Again a little "g"

The it also tells us there is a God with a big "G".

But then again you don't and others don't believe in gods so never mind.
edit on 29-8-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Sure, but we can still show them if we wanted to. It's not an impossibility. I'm not stating that ignorance doesn't exist. I'm not quite sure what your point is?

Never mind, doc cleared it up for me. ^

www.abovetopsecret.com...

How is explaining evolution anti-religious?

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I guess it is, when someone is very zealous that evolution is against their faith

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: DocScurlock1774

How exactly is this anti religious?

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

What makes you think that religious people think you have to believe in something

Plenty of people dont believe in anything, it seems more logical not to believe.

Jesus asked many time that His follower hold on to their faiths in rough times because believing would seem irrational, even counter productive, dangerous

You dont seem to have any understand of christianity at all, at least

Sometimes I wonder Ghost if you know anything

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
What makes you think that religious people think you have to believe in something

Perhaps you need to reread the opening paragraph

To clarify, I am aware that not every religious person feels that "you have to believe in something". However, there are certainly some people whom simply cannot accept that a person can honestly have no ties to some kind of creator.

originally posted by: Raggedyman
You dont seem to have any understand of christianity at all, at least

Sometimes I wonder Ghost if you know anything

Sometimes I wonder about your reading comprehension skills

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

originally posted by: FyreByrd
At any given time I believe in various 'gods' (of my own making - maybe your's too) and pray to the same.

I'm an atheist because I can say with a high degree of certainty that no anthropomorphic authoritarian god exists.

How do you explain the clear contradiction there?

Rather simply actually.

I believe in 'gods' as a construct of my human mind not as actual beings. A construct that I use to 'manipulate' my mind - rather like an affirmation.

I don't truly believe that there are or that I am contacting any authoritarian being(s) that will 'tell me what to do; what is right; what is kind; what is useful'.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Ah I get ya

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Sure, maybe you can't prove or disprove God, in concept.

But I think it is very easy to show that evidence strongly suggests God doesn't exist, by picking apart this or that religion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join