It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(To the religious) Why is it so difficult to accept that some people don't believe in gods?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Who said "most"???

I certainly didn't.

link   

originally posted by: seventhinline
I do not believe that you do not believe. Your belief is that there is no gods. But what about aliens, evolution, time travel? How do you believe you came to be? and what will become of you when you die? Everyone seeks answers to these questions some never find them.

Lol, nope, again, I do not believe there are no gods just that there is zero evidence to draw toward such belief.
I'm open to change based on any new evidence, but while there is none I keep an open mind without any belief required either way.

I don't really care how I 'came to be' it's a non-issue to me. I don't care what happens after I die either, there is no evidence for a soul so I assume I'll just be worm food. I don't believe there is no soul, just the same as gods there is no evidence to believe, so I lack such belief.

And no, everyone does not seek answers to such questions because, well, I actually don't.

link   

We can see the advancement we have made on creating aircraft over the years, absolutely, but we don't assume that it's done in any way other than from a factory, which we also designed ourselves, because we know, for a fact, that we designed the factories.

Tell that to the natives in the jungle in South America, or the cargo cults of WWII. They don't see the factories or people inside the aircraft in flight overhead. They have however, over generations looked up and seen the aircraft become more advanced, as if by magic.

Further spinning it backwards, Ive seen a 'thingy' from out of this world and spirits before, I know they exist, for me its not about belief, I am a witness.

Aircraft development vs. evolution is analogous on my part. (the point you know I'm making).

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: seventhinline
I do not believe that you do not believe. Your belief is that there is no gods. But what about aliens, evolution, time travel? How do you believe you came to be? and what will become of you when you die? Everyone seeks answers to these questions some never find them.

This is a very common response to a person whom claims to lack a belief in god. The word belief somehow is taken in a totality-context, as if the atheist means to say "I don't hold any beliefs in anything". Which is quite obviously false. I believe tomorrow the sun will appear to rise over the horizon due to the earths rotation. It's a belief, but it is not a religious belief.

The context of "belief" in "I lack beliefs in god(s)" is solely subject to a belief in gods, not a belief in anything at all

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: thinline

Its a threat, believe or else go to hell is a control thing religion uses just like the state does.

Obey the law or go to jail.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

Who said "most"???

I certainly didn't.

You said "You know yourself, percentage wise, that atheists are just as indoctrinated as the worshippers of a god/gods."

Since those who worship gods are all indoctrinated into their own religions, then when you said "percentage wise" it would imply that all (or most) atheists are just as indoctrinated.

Perhaps you misspoke?

edit on 29/8/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

havn't you done 20-30 anti religious threads already,(that's just what i remember)

we get it dude your evangelical atheist.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Sounds like agnosticism.

Agnostic atheist would be the best descriptive term. There are agnostic theists as well, but inclusion of the atheist label for me is essential due to the simple lack of faith in any deities.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I feel lucky and grateful to have been born in a country in which one is free to practice (or not) whichever faith they so please.

I'm pretty sure that none of the US educational systems prescribe to a Christian point of view. God has been expressly forbidden from most secular schools, to the point even of changing the words of our own National Anthem. I agree with teaching a secular curriculum. I disagree with changing the words of our National Anthem in fear of offending someone.

I am a Christian (came to it by my own volition) but do enjoy a hearty theological debate! Let me know if you're interested or start a thread on some of your more salient points and I'll be happy to discuss later.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

Who said "most"???

I certainly didn't.

You said "You know yourself, percentage wise, that atheists are just as indoctrinated as the worshippers of a god/gods."

Since those who worship gods are all indoctrinated into their own religions, then when you said "percentage wise" it would imply that all (or most) atheists are just as indoctrinated.

Perhaps you misspoke?

Oh I get it, you think "most" religious people are indoctrinated and decided to project that onto my statement.

No thanks.
You misread.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

We can see the advancement we have made on creating aircraft over the years, absolutely, but we don't assume that it's done in any way other than from a factory, which we also designed ourselves, because we know, for a fact, that we designed the factories.

Tell that to the natives in the jungle in South America, or the cargo cults of WWII. They don't see the factories or people inside the aircraft in flight overhead. They have however, over generations looked up and seen the aircraft become more advanced, as if by magic.

Sure, but we can still show them if we wanted to. It's not an impossibility. I'm not stating that ignorance doesn't exist. I'm not quite sure what your point is?

originally posted by: intrptr
Aircraft development vs. evolution is analogous on my part. (the point you know I'm making).

I assumed that's what you were trying to get at, but I wasn't 100% certain and didn't want to put any words in your mouth.

I do invite you to make a topic on the matter so as to not derail this one as the context is outside the scope of the OP. Or you're free to respond to another topic of mine regarding Evolution where I can further explain how your analogy isn't very accurate.

Questions about Evolution Thread

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Oh I get it, you think "most" religious people are indoctrinated and decided to project that onto my statement.

No thanks.
You misread.

Perhaps you could explain how a religious person cannot be indoctrinated?

Indoctrinate:
~ to instruct in a doctrine, principle, ideology, etc., especially to imbue with a specific partisan or biased belief or point of view.

Religions have doctrines, and they are ideologies. So in order to become part of a religion, you need to be indoctrinated into one.

Am I incorrect about this?

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

All religious people are indoctrinated.
Religious faith is learned behaviour, the natural state of a child born today is no knowledge of any god claims, therefore no belief until taught...or indoctrinated.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: DocScurlock1774

havn't you done 20-30 anti religious threads already,(that's just what i remember)

we get it dude your evangelical atheist.

Education is an ongoing process. I enjoy educating and learning new things for myself as well.

How is this topic anti-religious? I'm asking a question about individuals within it, accepting that not all religious people conform to the mentality of some others.

I don't see any anti-religion here? Perhaps you could quote me?

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I told you, in my first post, I came to Islam via spiritual experiences.

No one told me what to believe.

So no, not "all" religious people are indoctrinated (read brainwashed)...

Some of us have life experiences that lead us down our respective paths.
To say otherwise is just disrespectful.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

No thanks.
You misread.

Perhaps you could explain how a religious person cannot be indoctrinated?

Indoctrinate:
~ to instruct in a doctrine, principle, ideology, etc., especially to imbue with a specific partisan or biased belief or point of view.

Religions have doctrines, and they are ideologies. So in order to become part of a religion, you need to be indoctrinated into one.

Am I incorrect about this?

By this definition, who in the world is not indoctrinated?

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

the natural state of a child born today is no knowledge of any god claims

That's an opinion, or belief hehe...

You cannot prove that anymore than I can prove babies are in communion with God and angels until they lose the knowledge as they grow.

And this is bordering off topic.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Hardly a belief, it is obvious, don't be so ridiculous.
All religious faith is learned behaviour, same as belief in pixies dragons or any other mythical claims.
All taught behaviour.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

it is obvious

Me: Prove it.

You: I can't.

Me: & I cannot disprove it.

You: Agreed.

Me:

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
I'm pretty sure that none of the US educational systems prescribe to a Christian point of view. God has been expressly forbidden from most secular schools, to the point even of changing the words of our own National Anthem. I agree with teaching a secular curriculum.

Unfortunately this is not totally true. In most states, yes, this concept is adhered to, however there are several states that have been altering textbooks due to religious actions.

"Critics said that some of the government and world history textbooks, for example, exaggerate the influence of biblical figures — such as Moses and Solomon — on the nation’s founding and Western political tradition. A few of the books include material that critics said undermines the constitutional concept of the separation of church and state."
link[ /url]

"
Students in Texas will soon be reading biology textbooks that teach creationism if some of the state’s textbook review panelists have their way."

[url=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/11/texas-creationism-textbooks_n_3902946.html]link

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join