It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I never see any old people any more.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Come to SoCal... they all drive. Its interminable, and infuriating

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Jeez, i got old people all around me all the time. I can't go to the grocery store without risking road road at the old fart parking their cart across the aisle while they look up at God knows what. And its at least 3 times a week that I have some granny asking me to get something from the top row, or lift something heavy like an onion for them.

Seriously, though, I see our more elderly neighbors here all the time.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

I think the fact that population is rising at an ever increasing rate could skew the perception of how many old folks there are and to agree, make them less inclined to want to be outside/around them.

ADDED: Not just how many "youngins" there are making the older folks not want to be out but how disrespectful and outright laughable a lot of them are. You know what I'm saying g-dog homie "braaaaaa".
edit on 29-8-2016 by OfTheVoid46 because: see post

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
Mmmm... I don't trust old people either.. They are up to something..

Damn straight we are.

I'm thinking of watering the Tree of Liberty with a few well chosen examples of hemoglobin. I was a sharp shooter in WWII and might still be, for all I know.

What are they gonna do, give me life? Bwhahahahahahaha.

I regret that I have but two lives to give to my country. One back then that got bailed out, and this one, when it's really needed.

In other news, did you hear the Social Security Administration wanted to put in an extra layer of security by requiring people to have a text-based sign-in? They had to back track on that immediately once they realized that old people don't text.

Shows how stupid our govt is, if they think everyone is addicted to those tiny hand held eyeball robbers.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
Come to SoCal... they all drive. Its interminable, and infuriating

We're not the ones commuting, bucko.

Try living near your job. Like in the parking lot. They do it at Google, so can you.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

I slow down and randomly turn on my turn signals.
I look at it as providing a community service to teach patience when I am in front of another driver.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Ha, you're strong impression is spot on correct. No respect for the elders whatsoever. Worse, they're frequent targets for random acts of violence, the "elder" tipping game, the knock-out game, knocking them off their bicycles, breaking into their apartments and beating them to death and taking their stuff.

My wife and I are both over 55 and have to be very careful where we go and when we do it. Not all, but a huge percentage of the US population are just animals looking for a victim and the older/easier the victim the better.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Ha, you're strong impression is spot on correct. No respect for the elders whatsoever. Worse, they're frequent targets for random acts of violence, the "elder" tipping game, the knock-out game, knocking them off their bicycles, breaking into their apartments and beating them to death and taking their stuff.

My wife and I are both over 55 and have to be very careful where we go and when we do it. Not all, but a huge percentage of the US population are just animals looking for a victim and the older/easier the victim the better.

That kind of stuff only happens in the city. In the country, you are likely to be shot trying to pull that nonsense. I can't imagine how bad I'd lose it if i saw someone assault an elderly person. Just thinking about it makes my blood boil.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Kind words.

Now fetch me an onion.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I've only got a couple more years before i have to get the whippersnappers to do the heavy lifting for me, too. Don't feel bad, gramps.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
A work colleague is a "elderly friend". She does the shopping, chores and "befriends" a 101 year old who has outlived her children. The contact keeps the elderly person independent and "alive". Many elderly are lonely and that's a great shame.

If the OP does not see elderly people around, then maybe he/she can make a conscious effort to make contact.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Sad to have that impression confirmed. And it's getting that way over here too.

In fact, that's the whole point of this thread...the fact that, though there are more elderly people now than, say, 40 years ago, you actually see fewer now. Which can only mean that they are afraid to go out!

Not many are agreeing with me, but I think a lot of people in my age group will have noticed this trend.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I remember many old farts from my youth who would not even look at me when I greeted them on the street. That´s a thing in small towns, you know each other and greet.
And then you hear things like "the youth from today has no respect".

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

In my experience, the older will be the first ones, visiting the supermarket, public pool, bakery.

I'm not surprised...they want to get the shopping in before the amoral, dirtbag, jobless underclass of 20somethings climb out of their fleapits and start patrolling the streets.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

yeah, those fleabag 20somethings...

LOL

For the most part, old people do the early to rise thing because it hurts like hell to lay in bed more than 6 hours at a time. So you get up early to take a nap.

If you think about it, its a great system. Or maybe thats my age speaking.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Part of it is because 80 is the new 60! Many seniors don't look it yet, they are aging very well compared to their grandparents, & are much more active!

Then with coloring their hair, maybe some botox, they are holding off the signs of aging a little longer. I can't believe how well some of my relatives & people that we know, are doing compared to my generation!

I don't think my generation is going to live long enough to get their full Social Security's worth!
But we are the first generation to have fast food & junk food!

WOQ

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

That's why we moved out of Houston; it had gotten so bad we couldn't even go to the park because of the beat downs. And in broad daylight. It became a gang initiation thing and they did it in groups. The cops started patroling, but they really don't care and wait till the beating's over with to respond.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Right I see you are in the UK the same as myself.

Notice and make a mental Note of the Tory mantra "There Are Too Many Old People And They Are Putting A Strain On Our PUBLIC Resources" under both the Coalition and later when Cameron bamboozled his way into power but the offer of a referendum (without which he would have lost miserably but people being desperate make stupid choice's).

He used it to justify the undercutting of wages in the UK through open border's with the EU (which should and could have been re-negotiated but that would not have suited there ideology) and claimed constantly that our state pension system was about to crash which is something we know as a lie and was more about moving the state pension system toward abolishment in order to boost equity firm's private pension scheme's (most of which will definitely collapse as they are based on investment pyramid schemes).

Claimed the old folk's were a strain on the NHS while at the same time his government like Blair's before him was looking for ever more way's to introduce the private sector (privatization through the back door) into the NHS which Blair had made ready for privatization by creating the NHS trust's and thus devolving responsibility for the NHS out of the government's hand's.

Remember the Liverpool Care Pathway.
liverpool-care-pathway-a-national-sc.blogspot.co.uk...
petition.parliament.uk...
This end of Life Palliative care was only ever intended for patient's whom could no longer eat without it actually killing them but was based in the very atheist morality of Human's Are Just Animal's so when they are suffering or just old then put them down attitude which has spread through UK society like a cancer (And which play's perfectly into the Wage Slave system of not wanting to pay to support workers when they are no longer productive for the corporation's thus translating the saving's into reduced corporate tax).
www.naturalnews.com...
www.ihatethemedia.com...
www.dailymail.co.uk...

The Reason we DO not see as many as we USED to in the past is that they are being murdered by the very institution's they worked all there lives to pay into and establish.

What I want to know is whay the Police had not launched a murder inquiry into any of these death's, why a system that is so corrupt and bad can continue in government and who is putting a lid on this very loud scandal.

edit on 29-8-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Interesting observation.

Got me thinking where/when I see elderly in my own country...

There are certainly areas that seem to be teeming with elderly, and other areas where they're a bit of a rarity at certain times.

Sure, a good chunk of those places I often see many elderly out and about are the stereotypical 'retirement' areas, townships, warmer climates with more sunny days.
So too the areas I don't see many elderly out and about have less hospitable weather - and actually less hospitable social environments that even though I'm mid-40s and pretty capable of looking after myself in confrontational situations you wouldn't see me walking through without carrying a really large stick and wearing body-armour...

Some places it's just warmer and safer to keep close to home.

My own parents are retired...and they're hardly ever home.
Every time I phone them up they're out doing a something a somewhere or just taking a jaunt around the country for a few days. Kinda think there's probably a decent percentage of the elderly we don't regularly see as they're just too busy doing a something somewhere else. Too busy enjoying their life, enjoying their freedom, and not worrying about staying around waiting for a someone to notice them.
Not a shot at you intended by that last sentence...not at all...more a wider comment of my thoughts on how we as a collective society seem to value our elderly - more specifically the almost *lack* of valuing we show to those who put some much time and effort into forming and forging what we ourselves now enjoy.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

THIS!

Totally.

My own parents are in the 70s...my Dad is 76...which many would consider 'elderly' for sure.

...yet they're not staying slow for noone.
If anything I worry about how active they are and what they do...totally in awe and proud of them...but a tad worried too.

Guess that's my own misconceptions and possible diminishing 'discrimination/stigmatisation' of the elderly?
But my Dad in particular still hunts, tramps, walks for miles. Takes part in fundraising marathons and so forth. Dad plays Senior Rugby too - the Golden Oldies division most weekends. They may be in their late 60s-70s but daaaaaamn they give nor take no quarter in those tackles - some major big hits still get barreled in there every game.
The guy could likely put me to shame any given day.

So too mum does dancing (rock'n'roll in particular) regularly and can jitter the HECK outa that bug no doubt!

edit on 29-8-2016 by alien because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join