It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I never see any old people any more.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Well, I don't see many oldies...the odd one or two.

It's got to the stage where I will do a double take if I see anyone over the age of, say, 75.

What's going on here? Because it's not as though they are in short supply, now is it?

I know they're out there. I know, for example, that the tenant in the next but one flat from me is a woman in her 80s. But I've been in this flat five years now and I've never seen her. Not a fleeting glimpse. Never heard her either.

I know what you're thinking, but you're wrong. She is very much alive. How do I know? The man who checks all the boilers once a year in December tells me, that's how. Because I ask. She's alive and well and thriving, but I've never seen hide nor hair of her.

Contrast that with the succession of jobless, drug-addled, halfwit punks who have passed through the next door flat, whom I've seen and heard more of than a sane and civilised person could possibly want to in several lifetimes.

It never used to be like this. I lived my formative years in the 1960s and 70s, and elderly people were just as much in evidence as any other age category. And yet there are more elderly people now than there were then.

But back then, Youth was not venerated and adored.

And the elderly were not afraid to show their faces.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Maybe it´s your work. I saw plenty old people, doing checks on the fire detection system in retirement homes, years ago. Or it´s the times you are out. In my experience, the older will be the first ones, visiting the supermarket, public pool, bakery. Many old people have problems with sleeping, in my own experience. They can´t wait for the "world" to wake up. You just have to stand up early enough to catch them

Who wan´t to go to sleep, if you know your time fades out?

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Mmmm... I don't trust old people either.. They are up to something..

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Perhaps the retirement/nursing homes have moved away from local community where you live, and older folks who can live on their own have also found different places to live.

You might be able to look up demographic data about your county/town (not sure how regions are split up in UK) to find out about what percentage of the population is over the age of 65.

I live in Lebanon, New Hampshire (Northeast US), and there are lots of older people here

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
Well, I don't see many oldies...the odd one or two.

Maybe you need to get out a bit more.

The retired population exist amongst us. They are all around. They just avoid clubs and bars where insensitive and unhelpful young people hang out.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

No, I'm up and about all hours of the day and night. I've worked shifts for decades, no one has a more eccentric sleep pattern than me. I would have seen something. Five years...

It's a mystery.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

They just avoid clubs and bars

At 56, so do I, dear boy, so do I.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Get a job as a bank teller in a wealthy area of town. Oldies are all you'll see. Mean oldies, sweet oldies, clean oldies, dirty oldies, oldies of all shapes sizes and colors.

God, I don't miss that job.

-Alee

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I live in Lebanon, New Hampshire (Northeast US), and there are lots of older people here

Sounds nice. I happen to think that a high count of visible elderly in a community has a civilising effect.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   

We put them in LTC now

Come visit

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

I've formed the strong impression that the elderly are not held in the highest regard stateside.

I would not like to be old in the US.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

The 75+'s on my street don't get out all that much, but when I do see them, they're usually coming home from their early-morning shopping or banking, taking a short walk, or watering their garden then back inside. When I see them outside of that is on those occasions when the grandkids are visiting.

Maybe they're not being visited enough by family to draw them out. Especially in apartments, maybe they just don't see the value in leaving the comforts of home behind.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Well...you aint lookin'! I volunteer for Senior Services in my city. They are everywhere. They are many. They are US...they are LEGION!

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
a reply to: verschickter
It's a mystery.

Not for me

If you´re 56 years old, what do you consider "old"

Maybe it´s that

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   

It is a common fact, known by us oldies anyway, that young people don't really see us at all. That even happens with our own children. I may be sitting in the living room or at the dinner table and conversations sail all around me about none of the stuff that is aimed our way. We are invisible. Now, if we could properly master the use of cell phones and texting, that would be a far different story.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Heck if I want to see an old person,I just look in the mirror,but to be honest I never see them congregate,not as easy picking up hot chicks when you get old,hard to find lol

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I would. I can't wait to get my pension, retire, and start shaking my cane at the new young'uns. I've already started placing orders on custom canes though I won't hopefully need that for about another 45 years.

-Alee

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Or maybe it is something as simple as modern conveniences and technology.

They don't have to go and sit on a park bench to watch today's stupidity, they can do it from a lazyboy while watching reality tv.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I and my group are 65-75. We are a relatively healthy bunch and shop mostly online. We eat at favorite local cafe's. Mon-Fri we babysit the grandchildren or get them to school. For recreation we prefer the parks. We go local community meetings. Busy.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

We're hiding because you young folks freak us out. That's why we eat dinner at 3 pm and go to sleep at 8.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join